HGV Tyres - Diccon

When I was a lad lengths of lorry, as they were then called, tyre treads were a common sight on the roadside. As technology improved they became less so. However recently there appears to have been a resurgence which I particularly noticed on the M6 recently when travelling to and from Skye. Is this merely a reflection of the increased number of HGVs and their higher mileage or is it due to increased vehicle weights putting more stress on tyres, reduced maintainance as a cost saving measure, or less sympathetic driving? Have members with HGV experience any views, Perhaps GB?

HGV Tyres - RobJP

I can't say that, in 25 years + of driving up and down the country, I've ever really noted a time period when they haven't been appearing regularly.

Did have one HGV suffer that really impressive full de-lamination when I was alongside it on the M62. Not my favourite motoring moment !

HGV Tyres - Colin Davis

I dont't think there are any more than years ago.

The main cause is drivers not completing daily checks to ensure tyres are roadworthy.

Paired wheels as on drive axles of tipper trucks, if under inflated will rub together, overheat and explode with potentially serious results.

Most road haulage trailers have super single wheel/tyres and are relatively trouble free, but still require regular checks.

In my 42 years of HGV driving experience have only had probably half a dozen boring routine punctures.

HGV Tyres - gordonbennet

I've had lots of blow outs in the dim and distant past, every single one was a recap (tip work very hard on tyres)...basically the old tread remains ground off and a new tread bonded on, usually it was casing failure but very little remained to be examined by the time you had stopped.

I had experience of a nearly new recap failure only a few weeks ago, my company do not run these things so how it came to be on one of our trailers is a mystery yet to be explained, the company insist on proper tyres of good make, our failure rate is near enough zero despite maximum weight running 24/7, the tyre in question i luckily spotted going down before it caused an issue, sure enough the recap was separating.

Those treads you see are almost always retreads of one sort or another, a recap is just the tread replaced, you can still see all the details of the original casing on the sidewalls, a full remould puts a new skin on the sidewalls too complete with the remoulders branding and remould serial number, there are good remoulds and tat, much like everything else.

HGV Tyres - csgmart

Was travelling to work on the M4 (near Bath) this week and went past a HGV lorry (just the cab) on fire. Hadn't long started too because all 3 lanes were still open. The driver had managed to separate the cab from his load and drive a short distance up the hard shoulder. It was well alight when I drove past. The fire was around the passenger side rear wheels and I guess a brake malfunction may have caused the wheel to get so hot as to start the fire.

Edited by csgmart on 14/01/2018 at 20:59

HGV Tyres - Avant

That driver was a brave man. I hope he wasn't injured.