Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - Simon Cornish

Alright friends - bet this hasn't been asked before - alright, I did search first, so I am pretty sure it hasn't.

Will the boot shelf in the CR-V support a 16kg dog? And am I crazy for thinking the space underneath the shelf would be ideal for putting a couple of suitcases so that we when we go away for the weekend we have room for the dog and our luggage in the boot?

Our dog is almost certainly capable of jumping up that high, by the way, she was easily clearing our stair gate at 5 months old.

It seems the simplest solution, rather than getting a roof box (for the luggage).

Many appreciations.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - Manatee

No. Just drop the rear seats instead. Or if there are more than two of you, put dog on top of cases.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - expat

How are you intending to secure the dog so it doesn't get thrown forward in the event of an emergency stop? 16kg of dog flying forward at 70mph could cause you serious problems.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - RobJP

It is a requirement of the Highway Code that a dog (or any other animal) must be 'suitably restrained so that they cannot distract you while driving or injure you or themselves if you stop quickly.

Best place for a dog is either in the boot (restained or in a cage or with a proper 'dog guard', or clipped into the rear seatbelts.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - gordonbennet

If you have the height available, and a dog guard to prevent Fido being catapulted forward, it shouldn't be too hard to glue a cut to size re-inforcing section of thin plywood or similar under the shelf, alternatively make one yourself out of thicker plywood with a cover providing grip and comfort on top, using the shelf as a template.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/12/2017 at 08:53

If you have the height available, and a dog guard to prevent Fido being catapulted forward, it shouldn't be too hard to glue a cut to size re-inforcing section of thin plywood or similar under the shelf, alternatively make one yourself out of thicker plywood with a cover providing grip and comfort on top, using the shelf as a template.

This looks to be the best solution,- thanks! Making my own shelf will prevent me needing to make a mess of the existing.

It is a requirement of the Highway Code that a dog (or any other animal) must be 'suitably restrained so that they cannot distract you while driving or injure you or themselves if you stop quickly.

Best place for a dog is either in the boot (restained or in a cage or with a proper 'dog guard', or clipped into the rear seatbelts.

Our dog definitely will be in the boot!

Hi - we have a guard that means there isn't a dog sized gap between the top of the back seats and the roof. Works well in the Ibiza and expands for the larger car.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - Cris_on_the_gas

By 3rd generation I assume you mean 2007-2012.

Stamped on the parcel shelf it states max load 10kg. Most likely pessimistic statement by Honda to stop peeps sueing them if it breaks

By 3rd generation I assume you mean 2007-2012.

Stamped on the parcel shelf it states max load 10kg. Most likely pessimistic statement by Honda to stop peeps sueing them if it breaks

Yes 2007 onward. Thanks for the information.

Honda CR-V - How strong is the boot shelf in a 3rd gen CR-V - Andrew-T

I don't know the CR-V, but I wouldn't risk anything weighing 16kg on a rear parcel shelf, especially one able to move about on its own. The shelf is bound to sag and bounce as you travel, even if reinforced, which a dog may well dislike. The problem of emergencies would be the decider.

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/12/2017 at 17:49