Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - MandieD

Hi,

This is my mums car. She was driving home the other day and she said there was a really loud screaming noise from the engine bay, louder than a fan belt squeal, a burning smell and then something went 'poof' (her words, lol) but the car carried on. When she got home, just a couple of miles later, switched the car off and now it won't start, ignition lights all come on ok but nothing. If you get someone to turn the key whilst you are under the bonnet you can start to smell the burning smell again.

Could this be starter or relay? I'm not sure what I need to order for her.

Thanks in advance

Mandie

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - Manatee

Hi,

This is my mums car. She was driving home the other day and she said there was a really loud screaming noise from the engine bay, louder than a fan belt squeal, a burning smell and then something went 'poof' (her words, lol) but the car carried on. When she got home, just a couple of miles later,

Classic! Sorry. I just can't imagine continuing after that.

Sounds like a chort circuit of some description, but from the information given only a psychic could tell you what to order.

Odd that you should suggest a starter or relay. If the starter relay malfunctioned while the car was running you might get the interesting result you describe. Is there a bit more to this story?

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - RobJP

You need a garage. As good as some of the people on here are, they can't diagnose a problem like that, from a second hand description. Anything that any of us come up with will be, to a large extent, guesswork.

For starters, I wouldn't even try starting it. If a timing belt/oil pump belt has failed, and you run the engine, it could be a wrecked engine job.

Thanks for the reply. I put an OBCDII diagnostic tool on it but it showed no codes. There is no more to tell really. Mum was using the spare key which she doesn't normally use and I read somewhere that a slight bend in a key can stop the starter from disengaging once started and therefore eventually burns out. That's what made me think starter

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - Manatee

I think I get that - a deformed key might not turn easily but if successfully turned to the start position might not return to the 'ignition on' position, leaving the starter energised assuming there are no preventive interlocks.

I suppose that would potentially burn it out but if the starter pinion was/became engaged then there'd be a bit of a racket going on.

The relay might or might not overheat I suppose.

Pure speculation though - and I'm not a real mechanic.

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like the ignition key has jammed in the switch and held it in the crank position .This has burnt out the starter motor ,as it is continuosly engaged with engine running.That is the burnt smell.

Quick update. Starter replaced, all working fine except there is a burning smell now, like brakes or clutch smelly not all the time though. Seems to be on start up and when sitting in traffic with clutch dipped. Time to get rid of it I think!
Now looking to replace the ignition barrel as well as this seems to be common with zafiras.
Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 Club CDTi 2003 Diesel - Zafira is dead, help - elekie&a/c doctor

It is usually the ignition switch that needs replacing,not the barrel.