Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - pavo

i have a 57 reg toyota avensis - oil maint reqd sign comes on.

i have topped up oil and dipstick shows levels are ok.

how can i get rid of this msg?

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - RobJP

Get an oil change carried out - in future, at least every 10,000 miles, or every year, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST, get an oil change done.

Saving money on servicing is the one sure way to end up costing you more money in the long run

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - The-Mechanic

As Rob says, get the oil and filter changed. The message you're getting is the service due indicator. It'll show on the dash display when the mileage or elapsed time for a service is due so get the car serviced and the garage will reset the service indicator.

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Yes, the OP should have done an oil and filter change rather than simply top up the oil, but he asks as to how he can extinguish the warning light. After all, the little yellow 'pump' symbol will light up when you're low on fuel, but filling up will put out the light. You wouldn't want to be paying a dealer to reset the 'pump' light after every fill up. Why then must we pay the dealer to reset the 'oil service' light after we've changed the oil, or, for instance, the light which comes in when the Eolys Fluid level is low and we refill the Eolys tank? We need someone to manufacture a device which plugs into the car and resets these warnings! Or perhaps such a device is available but I haven't yet seen one?

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - gordonbennet

A search online usually reveals the method of switching the oil change required light out.

I assume the OP is DIY oil changing and wanting to turn the light off and not hoping to shorten the life of his engine by leaving the old stuff in for yonks....German Long Life Servicing style...ironic term that Long Life, it leads to anything but -:-)

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

You have it spot on sir! The first hit on a Google search is a Toyota forum, where the contributors say that the method of turning off the warning light is in the 'owners' handbook'! No, I've never read my owners' handbook either!

Seems you need to have more than two hands to operate the ignition key at the same time as the odometer button, but ensuring that the button is set to 'odometer' and not 'trip'.

Toyota Avensis - oil maint reqd - The-Mechanic

No special tool needed to reset it (except the owner who doesn't change the oil and filter) ;-)

It's just a combination of button press and ignition cycling. As a Toyota technician at a main agents I do the reset on a daily basis but won't outright divulge the info on principal. You don't need to have a service done at the dealers, there's many Indy outlets who'll have the knowledge to reset the light, but seeing how cheap Toyota servicing is the differences are marginal.

If the OP does their own servicing or is adamant on just resetting the indicator without changing the oil/filter, then a Google search will show how its done.