2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - Gemalto

I think one of my auxiliary drivebelt pulleys may be on its way out.

There is a squeak on idle which goes if I rev the engine. The belt is definately not slipping. It seems to be worse when it's cold or damp and sometimes quietens down when the engine has heated up. I can't tell exactly which pulley is squeaking but it's one of them for sure.

I know this is practically impossible to answer without inspection, but is it possible it could just fail on me, or will it get a lot worse first? If it does just fail, what will happen?

The car has done 137,000 and the drivebelt and pulleys are original (if that makes a difference) so I guess it's well overdue a replacement belt and some pulleys.

I will get it looked at soon but I need to wait until the end of January until I get paid again lol.

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - Peter.N.

Its unlikely that it will fail, a visual inspection of the belts will give you an idea of the condition, if they are a bit ragged at the edges or cracked I would change them, otherwise I wouldn't worry. Drive belts are much more durable now than they were a few years ago.

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - gordonbennet

Don't remind me about drivebelt squealing, had a spate of about 6 on my old Benz over as many years, as soon as they'd been on for 6 months or so they'd start up wailing again, tried all sorts, OE, Gates, you name it, got to be ridiculous and this wasn't just my car either, he was pulling his hair out.

Eventually my indy found that Continental branded belts seemed to offer a cure, indeed the new Continental branded belt has been on for 2 years and only squeals for a few seconds on a damp day cold start, blissful silence otherwise.

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - Gemalto
Thanks both - nothing to worry about then :-)

I've inspected the belt and it looks perfect. No splits or cracks etc.

When the engine is warm, there is no squeak. Is there any reason why it's worse in the cold?
2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - elekie&a/c doctor

Although the belt looks ok with no splits or cracks,it is possible that the grooves of the belt have worn down and thus not gripping enough.When the engine is warm,the metal components expand slightly and the belt becomes more supple.Change the belt first but rotate the pulleys with the belt off to check for any excess wear or noise.hth

2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.2 - Auxiliary Drivebelt Pulley Squeak - Chris M

Last winter, I was getting a loud crackling noise from my CMax on cold mornings which disappeared after a few minutes once a little heat had been generated. On really cold frosty mornings it sounded like there was sparking coming from the alternator area.

Having discounted the alternator as the cause, I sprayed some water over the belts to test. There are two belts, the main alternator/water pump one and one for the air con compressor. The noise was coming from the compressor belt (the noise went for a few seconds whilst wet). This belt is of the stretchy kind, so no adjustment possible and it looked perfectly OK when I removed it, but a new one cured the problem. The replacement was a Continental.

Edited by Chris M on 31/12/2013 at 09:27