Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - MichaelM

Short story time.

I am disabled after suffering a fractured spine in a road accident last year. I cannot drive now and my overall mobility is severely restricted. As a result, my wife has to drive me everywhere I need to go, usually hospitat and doctors appointments, physiotherapy and rehabilitation. So when she does need to take me out she parks the car on the road outside our home. This is a thoroughfare for our housing development and is by no means a "main" road.

Today we received a poison pen letter in the post asking us to move the car up on to the the kerb (illegal) or into our driveway (too far from the front of the house) as it is causing havoc. The author went on to say thet they had "witnessed kids on bikes cycling past [the car] attempting to key it", which we are treating as more of a veiled threat than actually having happened. The letter is printed and was delivered by the postman in a brown envelope with the address hand-written and without a stamp. The only franking evident is of the orange barcode style.

What we wan't to know now is if we would be entitled to a disabled parking bay outside our house (although this may raise tensions even higher) and as we live in Northern Ireland, which public body would be responsible.

Edited by MichaelM on 11/09/2013 at 14:25

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - skidpan

Looks like you have a Type 1 Idiot living close by.

Simple solution. After your wife has dropped you off on the road close to the house she can then move the car onto the drive.

But why your drive is further away from your house than the road takes some understanding.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - Avant

Really sorry to hear about your disability, Michael. In England the local authority would be responsible for authorising a parking bay: I don't know if it's the same in NI but I suggest you try there first.

I suppose your front door opens on to the street - hence the drive being further away: do you have any way of getting the car nearer to the back door?

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - Collos25

Put the car in the drive when its not in use .

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - Cyd

I have some sympathy with both "sides" here.

Being a civilised society we accord the disable extra priveliges to help them lead a fulfiling and active life.

However, those accorded these priveliges, are not given them so they can be used to disrupt the lives of others.

Use the roadspace outside your house whenever you need to gain entry to or egress from your vehicle, but at all other times the vehicle should be kept on the drive.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - dan86

If the car ia taxd and insured the owner has every right to park it on a public road as long as it is complying with the parking restrictions.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - Hamsafar

If you have an empty driveway, it is rather selfish to park on the road, disability or not.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - dan86

IIhave a small drive way witch has a car that is currently sorn and needs some tlc tovget ot back on the road so my everyday car has to be parked on the street. I live down a small road but u can still get a refuse lorry down the road as every one parks on one side of the road. As long as the op isn't causing a obstruction then hes not doing anything wrong.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - Andrew-T

If the car is taxed and insured the owner has every right to park it on a public road as long as it is complying with the parking restrictions.

That may be true within the letter of the law, but as drivers we all know that a car (with alternative parking space) left almost permanently on a narrowish? road can become a source of gentle road rage. It can also cause accidents by reducing visibility. Best avoided in the interest of good neighbourliness.

Edited by Andrew-T on 15/09/2013 at 11:20

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - galileo

Went to daughter's yesterday for a family gathering, narrow-ish road, all houses with drives, a few cars parked on the road so we parked round the corner in a wider, empty road and walked.

One female relative appeared, parked opposite another car, almost opposite the drive of the house across the road. I suggested she moved it to minimise inconvenience, to which she replied "If they want it moved, they can come and knock".

This attitude is appalling, especially as this woman used to be a driving instructor.

This attitude is appalling, especially as this woman used to be a driving instructor.

I wouldn't go as far as 'appalling' but it certainly seems arrogant and inconsiderate. The fact is that many regular drivers see cars as pieces of luggage which can be dropped almost wherever they are no longer needed, for collection as convenient. It's just unfortunate if other road users are inconvenienced.

The basic problem is that we live in a well-populated country, and there are now about as many vehicles as adults. But I think we need to redefine the relationship between vehicles, pedestrians and the places where each have priority, to take account of this. As the police turn blind eyes to parking on pavements, even with double yellows, we need a new set of ground rules.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - alastairq

Some cheap video surveillance?

I thoroughly resent and reject the idea that a correctly-parked vehicle can in any way present a 'danger' for other road users...and I speak as a training professional, not a plumber with a driving licence!

But what we have is the incompetent majority,versus the competent minority..and it is the minority who are the easier target....

Easier to get the individual to accomodate , rather than compel the majority to up their game.

I see folk advocating parking on footpaths or pavements....the individual pushing a pram who cannot get past, is the inconvenienced minority...just as long as other car drivers don't have to work any harder at their driving skills dealing with a parked vehicle, that's ok?

To the OP? Has the letter [and any other evidence] been reported to the Police?

Whilst the letter on its own may not constitute much in a lay person's eyes, any further harrassment of any kind, once reported, can be added, thus creating a decent amount of evidence?

See my first line?

I thoroughly resent and reject the idea that a correctly-parked vehicle can in any way present a 'danger' for other road users...

Some cheap video surveillance?

That depends how you choose to define 'correctly parked'. It may be legally correct, but still a nuisance - although maybe not to a lawyer.

And cheap video surveillance requires someone wasting much of their time staring at a screen(s) and then following up any contraventions. No, in the end the best solution is for all of us to avoid behaving selfishly or anti-socially. It isn't always difficult.

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - alastairq

That depends how you choose to define 'correctly parked'. It may be legally correct, but still a nuisance - although maybe not to a lawyer.

Every parked car, van, lorry, bus on a bus stop, roadworks, or traffic calming measure is a 'nuisance' to other road users.
Drivers would much, much prefer to have no obstacles to deal with.
Drivers and other road users don't like to have to 'work' at what they are doing.
So, when things don't go well, everybody likes to be able to 'blame' something...but, strangely, never their own inabilities to cope.
When I said 'correctly', I meant 'correctly'. Not some wishy-wshy grey area..but, correctly. IE legally, in accordance with the Highway Code!
What the complaints usually focus on, is ''having to slow/stop and give way'' when dealing with a parked car...or, drivers failing to observe, and conduct their hazard drills correctly, so they get 'caught out'.....
Then the parked vehicle gets 'blamed'!
Even if that parked vehicle is entirely,correctly, parked, in every respect.
Folk often confuse themselves when it comes to judging whether a vehicle is parked 'correctly' or not. Aside from legaities, the main issue is, how much 'room' is there to pass?
However, there is no requirement to make it 'easy' for others to see [observe] around that parked vehicle........................ [otherwise every luton van driver would never ever park anywhere]...
The primary consideration is, how far away can that parked vehicle be seen ..........by approaching road users?
And it is the latter aspect that lay-drivers fail to accept. Since it will involve working at their driving skills......and that is something drivers don't like to have to do. Because it's inconvenient for them.

Edited by alastairq on 16/09/2013 at 11:54

Alastairq - I'm sure you aren't targeting my posts in particular, but I hope you accept my drift that there is more to social road behaviour than simply not doing anything illegal or contravening the Highway Code. The OP was about parking on the road when less obstructive parking space was available on a nearby drive (albeit with personal reasons). None of that was illegal or 'blameworthy', to use your term. Just making life a little more awkward for other road users, and not necessarily while saying 'I may do it, so I shall'.

I suppose it is a bit like deciding who backs up when passing is impossible in a narrow lane. We don't know the width of the OP's street, but it may be similar?

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - DrippingSump

Oh the pathos!

Nissan Qashqai 360 - Disabled access and poison pen letter - dieseldogg

Erm!

Vis-a-vis the "correctly parked"

Where does the general blue badge exemption allowing one to park on double yellow lines fit in.

Since double yellows are ALWAYS about Road Safety.

Does a Blue Badge on the dash make the disabled car any less of a hazard.

That one genuinly puzzles me.

Plus I have seen cars more abandoned than parked, in that the nearest wheel to the kerb is still 750mm away from the kerb.

But hey they are "parked"