Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - geoffchem

Does anyone know if the sale of Goods Act ( i.e. the car being not fit for purpose) covers buying a second hand car from a dealer, when the next day after the sale, the battery had to be replaced because it was at the end of its 'life' and would not start the car following a frosty morning?

In other words, is there any possibility of recovering payment for the new battery so soon after the purchase?

Thanks, geoffchem.

Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - tony g
Possibly ,the sale of goods act is subjective ,being a Spyder ,it must be a relatively old car which confuses the issue .

I would think that as the battery failed the day after purchase the dealer should be paying for a replacement .Ask him to pay for the new battery ,however if he refuses ,because of the small amount of money involved , its not worth the effort of pursuing him .
Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - Collos25

I do not know if they still make them but you could buy a Spyder upto a 10 plate which is not so old.

Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK the amount of money involved, u less it is over £5000, doesn't matter; if you are sure of your facts and are highly confident of the strength of your case chase him If you win he will cough up and pay your costs and his. Subject always to the opinion of Tony g who does know the Biz!

Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - jc2

The dealer will likely swap one over from one of his other motors!

Alfa Spider - dead car battery after purchase of second hand car - 72 dudes

This happened to me some years ago. Bought car, drove home, next morning battery was flat.

I didn't even consider SOGA, I just phoned the selling garage, who came to collect the car (70 mile round trip) fitted a new battery and returned it later. Apologised for my inconvenience.

What's the problem, why was your first port of call not the supplying dealer?

If a battery fails 24 hours after you bought the car, it was clearly faulty at the time of purchase, so the dealer is responsible for fitting a new or fully working one.

Whether he will pay up when you didn't give him a chance to rectify the fault is another matter, but in theory he should.