5. Suzuki 92.3%

WORST MOT PASS RATES

1. Citroen 86%

2. DS 86%

3. Renault 86.7%

4. Vauxhall 87.5%

5. Peugeot 88.2%

Latest figures - MOT Rates - misar

Any comments on an alternative list for car models I found? Only one top 5 make has a model in this list and the model rates seem to be closer to the worst make rates.

Top 10 UK car models with the highest UK MOT pass rate

(Car make and model followed by total tests, total tests passed and the pass rate.)

Peugeot 108 – 54,700 tests, 46,986 passes, 85.90% pass rate

Mini Cooper – 114,467 tests, 96,988 passes, 84.73% pass rate

Skoda Citigo – 41,978 tests, 35,240 passes, 83.95% pass rate

VW UP – 95,632 tests, 80,253 passes, 83.92% pass rate

Seat MII – 14,758 tests, 12,029 passes, 81.51% pass rate

MG 3 – 10,034 tests, 8,115 passes, 80.88% pass rate

Peugeot 208 – 125,519 tests, 100,727 passes, 80.25% pass rate

Ford B Max – 54,284 tests, 43,187 passes, 79.56% pass rate

Toyota Aygo – 191,892 tests, 146,339 passes, 76.26% pass rate

Hyundai I10 – 198,871 tests, 151,398 passes, 76.13% pass rate

www.chesterstandard.co.uk/news/20281046.revealed-t.../

PS More details here:

www.billplant.co.uk/blog/safest-first-cars/

Edited by misar on 27/09/2022 at 20:31

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Adampr

Without knowing the source of the original post, I don't think anyone could make a comment. I can see that the data in the second post has been tweaked a bit, but that may have excluded Porsche and Lexus, rather than turning the how thing upside down.

Ultimately, it's all pretty meaningless anyway. Without knowing models, ages, who the owner is, how much money they've got etc no real analysis can be done.

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Crickleymal

As Adampr says it's all pretty meaningless. You don't know how well the owners have maintained the vehicles. Some people treat the MOT as a service and only get stuff done when it fails.

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Engineer Andy

Without knowing the source of the original post, I don't think anyone could make a comment. I can see that the data in the second post has been tweaked a bit, but that may have excluded Porsche and Lexus, rather than turning the how thing upside down.

Ultimately, it's all pretty meaningless anyway. Without knowing models, ages, who the owner is, how much money they've got etc no real analysis can be done.

Exactly - rather like that 'Reliability Index'. Without context, the data is completely meaningless.

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Andrew-T

What stands out for me in the second list is that they are nearly all mini or supermini models. No doubt some deductions could be made there too ?

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Ian_SW

The top 50 list from a What Car article is very different from that second list. I thinking believe WhatCar over a local newspaper which has taken data from a driving school blog.

I suspect the driving school blog has selected the kind of cars new drivers would buy. Many of the cars at the top end of the What Car list are sports or luxury cars, though some very ordinary cars too. I can't see many people passing their test and then going out to buy a Porsche 911 or Mercedes SL...

Whether the data is useful is a different question though. It's not surprising that almost every Porsche 911 has passed its MOT first time - these will generally be owned by people who will keep on top of maintenance.

It may be useful to know the relative pass rates of a Ford Focus to an Astra or a Golf though. If one does much better than the others is may say something about the durability of that car. However as many MOT fails are for things like wiper blades, tyres and light bulbs, it probably says as much about the owners as the quality of the cars themselves

Latest figures - MOT Rates - Engineer Andy

The top 50 list from a What Car article is very different from that second list. I thinking believe WhatCar over a local newspaper which has taken data from a driving school blog.

I suspect the driving school blog has selected the kind of cars new drivers would buy. Many of the cars at the top end of the What Car list are sports or luxury cars, though some very ordinary cars too. I can't see many people passing their test and then going out to buy a Porsche 911 or Mercedes SL...

Whether the data is useful is a different question though. It's not surprising that almost every Porsche 911 has passed its MOT first time - these will generally be owned by people who will keep on top of maintenance.

It may be useful to know the relative pass rates of a Ford Focus to an Astra or a Golf though. If one does much better than the others is may say something about the durability of that car. However as many MOT fails are for things like wiper blades, tyres and light bulbs, it probably says as much about the owners as the quality of the cars themselves

Indeed - what would be much better would be weighted scores (see discussion above) and realistically to compare cars of the same type and spec. Much more useful when buying a car to (say) compare all the (likely similar) ones you are choosing from, including older versions of the same model if the current version is relatively new.

Latest figures - MOT Rates - skidpan

"It's not surprising that almost every Porsche 911 has passed its MOT first time"

Last car I had fail an MOT was a Golf in 1995. All passes since then (with some daft advisories).

Not hard to check the simple ones which many fail on. Our Micra had a bulb out in the 3rd brake light, never noticed it. Garage fixed it FOC.

Latest figures - MOT Rates - bathtub tom

Our Micra had a bulb out in the 3rd brake light, never noticed it. Garage fixed it FOC.

Lucky you, I had one LED fail on my high level brake light, resulting in an MOT advisory. The next year, the whole damn thing had failed. MOT station told me it was a pass as it didn't exist.........................................................................................

I found out a new from the main dealer - £100!

I eventually sorted it by buying a strip of LEDs from ebay for a few bob, dismantling the old unit and squeezing them in. I now have an eleven LED high level brake light replacing the original six LED unit, that's not quite as bright.

Let's see what the next MOT shows.

Edited by bathtub tom on 28/09/2022 at 18:46