Spam - bathtub tom

Looking at the 'latest post' times, I presume a load of spam came in just after midnight, as the new posts aren't there. Thank you mods.

Spam - FP

Seconded.

Yes, there has been a lot of spam recently, but it doesn't last long, so someone (or more than one person) is very on the ball.

No doubt all will be revealed soon.

Spam - HJ Editor

Since the very sad passing of Avant I have taken on removing spam as often as I can - most of it comes in overnight so I check as soon as I can (after the school run).

We will have two new moderators in place as soon as we can so I will let everyone know when that happens.

Spam - FP

Thanks for this. It does make the forum a more pleasant place to visit.

I'm thinking we could probably make a good guess as to who the moderators will be - but best of luck to you and them.

Spam - HJ Editor

I'm sure you can all work out who they will be but I won't ruin the big reveal....

Spam - expat

Thank you for removing the spam. Would it be possible for new members to have their first posts vetted by a moderator before appearing in the forum? I think that might stop most of the spam.

Spam - FP

" Would it be possible for new members to have their first posts vetted by a moderator before appearing in the forum? I think that might stop most of the spam."

That would be a good idea, but we have also had plenty of instances where a spammer has posted something innocuous in their first post as a precursor to spam, presumably to get around your proposed protocol. (I assume they believe it's already in place.)

No idea what you do about that.

Edited by FP on 17/03/2021 at 07:03

Spam - focussed

On another forum that I occasionally post on, the rule is that newbies have to achieve 5 posts before they can post any links. It might help.

Spam - Xileno

These are all good ideas and in use on some other forums. Another option is the use of a Captcha on registering. These will of course take time to code and test and I have no idea where this might fit in the IT Team's list of priorities. In the meantime ORB and I will try and keep the forums as spam-free as we can.