Ford Focus 1.6 2002 - Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Air fan or heater problem - jaruler

Hi all

I have a problem that i hope some motoring gurus can help with.

for 4 years only the position 3 would work on my in car fan and heater. the air con etc buttons also worked. heater also worked to clear windscreen from condensation fine. until this year. had not driven car that much and now on the 3rd position nothing works. so this now means that on neither 1, 2, 3, or 4 positions work for any fan or heating.

Should i first check fuse 45 in central fuse box and fuse 6 from the aux fuse box? what about fuse 29? why is there 2 fuses for same thing. the manual says they are engine cooling. so i do not want to disturb anything related to the engine itself.

any advice would be good.

One extra bit. just before the 4 year mark when position 1, 2 and 4 would not work. i went over some road debris that scuffed/hit the undercarriage. it was a bike seat with the metal connector sticking up. could that have cut or done something to some part under teh car related to interfering with the in car fan/heater ?

Thank you

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 - Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Air fan or heater problem - elekie&a/c doctor
There’s nothing under the car that would interfere with the blower motor . Usual Issues for a non working blower are burnt out speed resistor and/or connector block or a possible failed motor . All parts easily testable and accessible from behind the glovebox.

Checked fuse 6, 29, 45 and each appear fine. unable to check relay 11 and a search on google brings up various types. its black but I do not know which one to buy to see if it was the issue.

I think those are all the associated fuses/relays?

Thanks

Edited by jaruler on 05/12/2020 at 14:25

Ford Focus 1.6 2002 - Ford Focus 1.6 2002 Air fan or heater problem - elekie&a/c doctor
How do you know what to buy if you haven’t tested the system to see what’s wrong?

hi

i have bought a relay and a heater resistor.

Both were cheap. The relay was £5 on ebay and was the exact same model, make and serial as the one in the car.

the heater resistor was £10 from ebay.

i will swap both over to see if any change.

If nothing changes then we can rule out:

• Fuses
  • relay
  • heater resistor

Then i will need advice on what next to check please. as from that point i am in the dark.

Thank you