Honest John site - sandy56

Why is the latest version of the site so irritating?

I know, too many adverts, and now we have the pop up advert.

This is the way to lose supporters and regulars to the site.

Honest John site - Avant

Adverts are the site's main source of income, enabling us to use it for free.

If you have a particular problem,with access, please Email kalpesh@honestjohn.co.uk

Edited by Avant on 03/08/2018 at 11:26

Honest John site - Palcouk

I gave up using HJ site in both Edge & IE11 as even with an add blocker i was getting inundated with Add's and the site was very unresposive.

There was no problem with Edge or IE until mid July

I went back to FireFox, and using the same Add Blocker I now have no problems.

I realise 'free' content relies on Add's but I would never click on an add

Honest John site - Leif
You need a modern computer such as a recent iPad otherwise this site is unusable. But it’s not just this web site, the Telegraph and others are as bad. Adverts seem to stuff computers.
Honest John site - Leif
I’m now getting the pop up ads, and they are so annoying that they make me wonder if it is worth visiting. I know the site needs ads, but ...
Honest John site - FP

As I said elsewhere, I'm on a PC, using Opera browser, which has its own ad-blocker, plus Ghostery, Ad-Block Plus and Tampermonkey (this latter mainly to defeat Facebook ads).

I don't have a problem with the HJ site - just a few stationary bits and pieces on the right, most of which relates to the HJ site itself, nothing distracting.

Honest John site - Leif
This is the current pop up advert:

cpgstores.co.uk/Buy_Canon_6D_Cheap.html

I’m pretty sure it is a fraudulent web site. You can not buy a new £950 camera for £250. Oddly enough, when I paid with fake details, it said it failed, and then asked me t make a bank transfer. Hi ho.

Honest John site - Palcouk

Using FF on a PC - no pop up or other add's are seen

I would be suspicious of any site that gives no contact details in its menu

Honest John site - bikeman

HJs obviously desperate for cash - so many adverts the site is now painfully slow. Say bye bye to your users HJ.

Honest John site - FP

It's not slow for me and I don't see many adverts. I doubt the site is losing many people.

Suggest you get up to speed with the technology!

Honest John site - SLO76
Generally fine on iPad or mobile.
Honest John site - Engineer Andy

I think that the problem is very hardware dependent, especially for people using older computers and tablets. Non-static ads often increase main and graphics processor (especially) and memory usage, but the effects can be almost as bad even if you use the most up-to-date software.

My former workplace 'upgraded' their computers from Win7 to Win10, and they were slower and less reliable as a result; my 3-4yo tablet won't run this and many other websites (including and especially the Telegraph) using ANY browser now without having Ghostery, uBlock Origin and AdGuard Adblocker installed - it would grind to a halt if they were weren't, and even when they are, it's still very slow. The ad-free BBC website runs fine, as do many ad-light websites.

My far more powerful (yet 7yo) PC works fine, except for some occasional operational issues with, again, the Telegraph, with or without the ads being blocked, but I use the blockers generally because other website are far worse (including those that stupidly post dodgy ads for fake goods, despite the main website being legit) and I rarely take notice of ads anyway.

The most major issue (especially when I previously had a usage limit on my ISP) almost used to be 'flash' or video based ads that a) used significant processor power/memory and b) contributed a significant amount to my datae usage allowance.

I have not turned off the ad blockers, so I don't know what HJ's site is now like, but I've said it before when it got a real problem a few years ago that the non-static ads should be dialled back, as they really impact on operability of older computers, particularly tablets. Whilst I don't expect the site to be ad-free or to pander to people with REALLY OLD computers, I think that a balance needs to be struck.