any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - catsdad
The current threads on driving in France got me thinking as to what visitors to UK are advised. The "Visit Britain guide to driving in the UK" is a corker.

It lists that you should have reflective jackets, triangles, spare bullbs etc as if they are mandatory.
Contrary to the Highway Code it advises flashing lights ("go ahead") and dubious use of the horn ("when someone's driving is really dangerous").

Among visits it recommends driving to Oxford , one of the least car friendly cities in the UK and Bexhill on Sea, a lovely place no doubt but hardly top 10 stuff.

Cars coming uphill always have priority apparently. Hmm possibly out of politeness or to help an HGV but not something I've read since the days when it mattered that your horse and cart would lose momentum.

There is good stuff too but some of the advice is a tad misleading.
any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - Mike H
Cars coming uphill always have priority apparently. Hmm possibly out of politeness or to help an HGV but not something I've read since the days when it mattered that your horse and cart would lose momentum. There is good stuff too but some of the advice is a tad misleading.

It refers to roads where there isn't room for two vehicles to pass, and is standard practice in alpine countries e.g. Austria, Switzerland, and obviously good practice in the UK as well.

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - Engineer Andy
The current threads on driving in France got me thinking as to what visitors to UK are advised. The "Visit Britain guide to driving in the UK" is a corker. It lists that you should have reflective jackets, triangles, spare bullbs etc as if they are mandatory. Contrary to the Highway Code it advises flashing lights ("go ahead") and dubious use of the horn ("when someone's driving is really dangerous"). Among visits it recommends driving to Oxford , one of the least car friendly cities in the UK and Bexhill on Sea, a lovely place no doubt but hardly top 10 stuff. Cars coming uphill always have priority apparently. Hmm possibly out of politeness or to help an HGV but not something I've read since the days when it mattered that your horse and cart would lose momentum. There is good stuff too but some of the advice is a tad misleading.

I always thought that vehicles going downhill should have priority as ones going up can more easily stop at a passing point, except on steep hills or narrow country lanes where the other vehicle is an HGV/Farm vehicle, where starting/stopping and manouvrability comes far easier to cars.

I would also say that every driver in the UK should also have a tyre pump and a pressure guage handy - all those potholes and poor road surfaces (including strewn with debris) mean that, despite significant improvements to tyres, the chances of terminal tyre damage is still quite high compared to other breakdowns (assuimg your car is well manitained).

The same could be said for a fully charged mobile phone (and with car adapter to help charge it needed) with internet function in case you need to find a tyre outfit or garage sharpish in an out-of-the-way area for items you know your breakdown service doesn't cover/can't fix and you can limp to a nearby garage for help, especially on Sundays.

Having one also helps in the event of an accident or to help prove you didn't stop at that motorway service stop or retail park car park for more than the maximum free period.

And finally...despite it being far more sensible (making the best use of the space and filtering in turn and reducing traffic jams), never, I mean NEVER EVER use all lanes on a dual carriageway or motorway right up to a coned off section when traffic is moving very slowly. You MUST, under all circumstances, stay in the lanes not coned off, from the moment you fist see the sign stating that the lanes will be reducing in X miles/yards etc. Failure to do so will result in:

1. Other drivers pulling out in front of you, blocking your way out of spite for doing this;
  2. Other drivers shouting obscenitites, 'flipping the bird' and using their horn to signal their displeasure. Doing so back may get you or your car hit - especially on a hot day;
  3. No-one letting you in, at least until the first person you passed after the first sign for the lane closure has passed you again. Twice as much if you're a rep. 5x as much if you're driving a premium German car.

Don't expect Plod to get involved, well, unless you want to be arrested. They have better things to do, like going after people telling jokes on YouTube, 'offending' snowflakes and dead/former Tory MPs, or other virtue-signalling activites.

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - John F
Bexhill on Sea, a lovely place no doubt but hardly top 10 stuff.

...or top 100! The coast line is unsheltered, long, flat and boring. Constant gales preclude tree growth. The buildings which front it, apart from a few expensive houses at Cooden beach, are ugly. The 'beach' consists of flat sandy clay when the tide's out, or shingle when it isn't. Its single interesting feature is the de la Warr pavilion, a large white concrete art deco type building reflecting the design features of one of its German architect's previous efforts, a textile factory in Leningrad.

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - Smileyman

any mention of drive on the left???

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - KJP 123

Changing a bulb can be quite difficult on modern cars. Probably safer not to do it at night by side of road.

The flashing of headlights in practice is so contrary to the Highway code theory that the HC needs to be revised.

Smiley, yes driving on the left is covered. Not everything it says is wrong.

A lot of the issues are because it tries to cover etiquette and is too dogmatic in its views. In practice I find etiquette and behaviour varies across the country. So advice to let in cars waiting to join the road you are on would work where I live but not elsewhere. The right of way (itself a dubious term) on hills point is another variable one.

As Visit Britain is, I assume, taxpayer funded we are paying for this misinformation.

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - expat

Is there any mention of how to deal with 3 lane roundabouts? I live in Australia and on visits to Britain I have found multi lane roundabouts dreadful to navigate.

Is there any mention of how to deal with 3 lane roundabouts? I live in Australia and on visits to Britain I have found multi lane roundabouts dreadful to navigate.

Just be wary that some idiots like to cut people up (often to jump the long queue in the left hand and middle lanes) by flooring it and then diving in front, sometimes turning left from the RH [turn right only] lane. This has happened to me on numerous occasions, though more on dual carriageways at roundabout junctions under/over a motorway.

Most juntions of this type should be signed appropriately, whether on the road or a roadside/overhead gantry sign to denote which lane is for what. Sometimes a lane can be for both straight on and turn left or turn right, hopefully as the designer bothered to find out where most of the vehicles will be going so they can divide up the lanes' traffic equally over the 'waiting area' before the junction (RH turners often have to wait far longer than those going left or straight on).

Unfortunately, the designers don't do a thorough job or the council/Highways Agency doesn't change the priorities if the road use wasn't surveyed or changes after the junction is built. A notorious junction near me in Stevenage is like that - one lesser used local road jams up the really busy one because no-one can get out onto the roundabout in the evening rush hour, just because of a constant stream of a few cars coming onto the roundabout.

Additionally, many roundabouts with two or more lanes aren't signed, so everyone assumes the LH lane is for left only (or left and straight on if only two lanes), the middle for straight on the RH lane for right only. Often not helped if the junction is a three-way one, where there's no actual straight on.

One near me is of this type and a good percentage of drivers, especially those in HGVs, use the LH of the two lanes to realistically turn right (2nd exit off the roundabout) when actually its only a left turn only lane and is signed as such. This result in many near misses. Locals like me know this and stay in the 'outside lane' until well onto the new part of the dual carriageway before moving (left) over to the (slow) nearside lane.

None of this is helped by roundabout with staggered lanes on them that taper off to each exit or the infamous 'magic' roundabouts (roundabouts on a roundabout - Swindon's and one in Hemel Hempstead come to mind), which can be nightmares to negotiate for the unitiated.

Three lane Roundabouts can be tricky for UK folks too as Andy explains. My impression however is that accidents are relatively rare.

The tips I would give are to look at the UK Highway Code, pay attention to lane markings, take other drivers signalling as indicative only. Also don't change your mind at the last second if are surrounded by traffic and you do end up in the wrong lane. Just go round again or take the exit you've committed to rather than make sudden manouvres.

I need to defend Swindon's Magic Roundabout which I've been through thousands of times over thirty years without seeing an accident and very few incidents of any kind. Part of the secret is that its designed to slow traffic and the very uncertainty it creates makes drivers very aware. It works really well. You simply apply the basic logic of giving way to traffic already on the mini-rounadbouts as you traverse to your chosen exit route.

Oddly "magic" roundabouts centre on a counter-clockwise roundabout - don't tell Visit Britain ;-). However they are rare and tourists are unlikely to encounter one
Three lane Roundabouts can be tricky for UK folks too as Andy explains. My impression however is that accidents are relatively rare. The tips I would give are to look at the UK Highway Code, pay attention to lane markings, take other drivers signalling as indicative only. Also don't change your mind at the last second if are surrounded by traffic and you do end up in the wrong lane. Just go round again or take the exit you've committed to rather than make sudden manouvres. I need to defend Swindon's Magic Roundabout which I've been through thousands of times over thirty years without seeing an accident and very few incidents of any kind. Part of the secret is that its designed to slow traffic and the very uncertainty it creates makes drivers very aware. It works really well. You simply apply the basic logic of giving way to traffic already on the mini-rounadbouts as you traverse to your chosen exit route. Oddly "magic" roundabouts centre on a counter-clockwise roundabout - don't tell Visit Britain ;-). However they are rare and tourists are unlikely to encounter one

Good points, though you say that you've used the magic roundabout in Swindon thousands of times. You and other locals are used to it. Outsiders (I haven't driven round it, but have on the Hemel one) may not be, especially those who are less confident/experienced drivers.

Many elderly drivers especially seem to find (along with much of driving in today's fast-paced world) roundabouts more challenging, often waiting a long time before making a manouvre, often drawing the ire of fellow drivers. I've seen some have accidents when they got flustered by such people and made a rash manouvre. Not a nasty accident, but one nonelessless.

Those sort of roundabouts are the type my 74yo mum would try and avoid for that reason, though her general lack of confidence (she didn't used to be like this ealier in life) means she won't drive on motorways any more.

any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - dadbif
If you want confusing roundabouts, come to Gloucester
any - visit britain advice for visiting drivers - Bilboman

The last time I did a lot of driving in the UK; I remember distinctly that a lot of new roundabouts (and a few "facelifted" older ones) were designed to limit visibility of approaching drivers, apparently in an attempt to slow traffic speeds and reduce the likelihood of a collision. Lots of tall hedges and bushes apparently planted overnight in some cases, in a huge conspiracy to slow us all down. Quite puzzling logic, as the great advantage of British roundabouts was always the smoother flow of cars in and out - if there's nothing coming, you can maintain a decent speed and drive on through, rather than losing momentum (and wasting fuel) by braking.