Any - F!@$%^&*(!! Electrical Connectors - edlithgow

url=servimg.com/view/18149521/357][img]i62.servimg.com/u/f62/18/14/95/21/th/img_7832.jpg[/img][/url]

I can remember having trouble with these before, but not as bad as this. Maybe I'm getting more kack-handed (as well as more bad-tempered) in my declining years.

Needing at least three hands is inherent to the design, but no matter how much force I applied, that barb wasn't going to unlatch.

Any tricks?

Special tools?

Heres my current solution. I cut the barb off with a hacksaw.

If it loosens I'll put a cable tie around it.

[url=servimg.com/view/18149521/358][img]i62.servimg.com/u/f62/18/14/95/21/th/img_7833.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by edlithgow on 11/03/2018 at 14:00

Any - F!@$%^&*(!! Electrical Connectors - gordonbennet

Oh good i'm glad its not just me who can't manage a good proportion of these multi connectors, there's definately a knack to them.

The Toyota ones usually come apart no bother, because (at least on full size 4x4's) most if not all of these connectors outside the dry passenger cell have been sprayed in some form of white grease before clipping together, i am not aware of any other maker who does this but happy to be informed otherwise.

If i need to disconnect one, nine times out of ten it's in an inaccessible place so can't see what you're doing, i usually try to find the same plug more conveniently sited on the car and learn the knack undoing that one a few times before going for the awkward mother, and yes upon reassembly a squirt of white grease goes in.

Yeh, I was thinking I might put Vaseline on it with a cotton bud, but a spray grease is probably better.

Not sure what "White grease" is, but whatever it is its a fair bet I won't be able to get it here. I downloaded a Valvoline spec sheet on theirs which predictably manages to say nothing at all, at some length

Example (especially ridiculous)

"Odour: Characteristic"

Never have guessed, would you?

I do have some semi-clear spray grease which ought to do, though.

Any - F!@$%^&*(!! Electrical Connectors - Bolt

Yeh, I was thinking I might put Vaseline on it with a cotton bud, but a spray grease is probably better.

Vaseline is better as spray grease goes hard usually, vaseline should make it easier to split the connection if it need pulling apart again. its used a lot in electrical connections for computers/ sealing car battery terminals

Any - F!@$%^&*(!! Electrical Connectors - hardway

Try a skoosh of spray furniture polish,

I use "Mr Sheen",

And try to get it on only the plastic.

Net result is connectors that are a lot easier to seperate and clean and shiney!!

Ok I couldn't find the b***** contact cleaner and this just came to hand.

Shockingly it works.

I did have some contact cleaner in an aerosol, but in the year or so since I used it (on the indicator switches) the whole can has leaked away.

That makes it rather expensive so I'll use these alternatives if I possibly can. Vaseline has the advantage of being, AFAIK, universally available.

Any - F!@$%^&*(!! Electrical Connectors - bluezzr1100

It has been rather cold of late. This makes plastic and rubber booth hard and brittle. Gentle heating with a hair drier might help (don't use a paint stripper gun!). Although a paint stripper would certainly have an effect although perhaps not the desired one!

good luck