Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - RaineMan

The weekend before last we visited a local beauty spot. It has been pay ‘n’ display for many years but on this visit the parking machines had changed and needed you to input your registration number. This is obviously to prevent people passing on unused time to others.

My thoughts being is this actually legal? You have paid to use a parking space for a period of time – surely the specific car parked is irrelevant. Signs in many car parks say the transfer of tickets is illegal but is it and, if so, what law has been broken? After all if I get a doggy bag in a restaurant it does not say who can or cannot eat the food, and newspapers never say “to be read by the purchaser only”!

With all the technology available it also annoys me that you cannot be charged for the actual time used. Recently when I took someone to an outpatients’ appointment the parking charge shot up by 50% as they were a few minutes over the three hours but well under the five hours that had to be paid!

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - gordonbennet

I suppose it comes under the heading their car park their rules.

There have always been cut off points, you win some you lose some, same story with bulk purchases, you need 2 bulbs buy two bulbs for 50p each or a pack of ten for £3, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - Gibbo_Wirral

From this very forum in 2002:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=5101

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - Avant

They can say it's illegal, but unless it's a council car park and the council has passed a by-law to that effect, it won't be. Most car parks are outsourced, and what their owners call a fine is more like a penalty for breach of contract. The normal civil remedy for breach of contract is damages, which are not supposed to be in the nature of a penalty.

I'd be interested to know how the 'non-transferable' rule would stand up if challenged in a civil court.

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - Bromptonaut

I'd be interested to know how the 'non-transferable' rule would stand up if challenged in a civil court.

Provided it was clear in coditions at time ticket was purchased then it would stand up pretty well. Transferable tickets are an exception not the rule and always have been.

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - catsdad
Slightly off topic I caught a consumer programme this morning where another angle on tickets with the reg number came up.

I had always just assumed it was to stop transfers. What I didnt realise was that some of carparks use number recognition cameras. So if you innocently miskey your reg then the camera will not recognise your having paid. They then issue a demand for £50 or whatever.

Edited by catsdad on 16/10/2017 at 18:39

Any - Transfer Of Unused Parking Time - Bilboman

I'd be interested to know how much extra (unearnt) income is generated from these parking machines from the overlap between one car leaving (with unused time still running) and another entering and effectively paying twice for "x" minutes.
In many municipalities in Spain it is possible to set up parking payment via mobile phone and associated credit card to pay for on-street parking and then cancel unused time on returning to the car. There is also a "Phonecard" type prepayment system which works in a similar way. Parking wardens get very little confrontation in their jobs since about 40% of appeals succeed and they have a level of discretion which would be unthinkable - in my experience - in Britain. A warden once bunged me 20 cents of his own money to make up the minimum and on one occasion I was pardoned one wrong digit on my registration by a warden about to end his shift.
Another idea that is extremely popular in Spain is the 2, 3 or even 4 hour "window" of free parking at lunchtime.