Convictions - Chris M
In today's DT, HJ responds to T.M. "Nearly everyone has one conviction, or will have by the end of 2003". I don't intend this to sound smug, but I haven't had a conviction in 25 years of driving. Am I really in such a minority?

I would add that I regularly drive at 80-85mph on motorways when safe to do so but rarely, in my opinion, drive dangerously. Neither do I drink and drive, drive through red lights, drive uninsured or do any of the other things that get noticed by plod. Yes, I may be boring!

How many other backroomers are now thinking 2003 might not be such a happy new year?

Chris M
Convictions - Dwight Van Driver
Chris

Stick that head back down under the blanket and do not tempt fate.

A good Traffic Plod, using a fine tooth comb on a pull, seven times out of ten can come with some offence due to the pethora and complexity of Traffic Law.

Having said that you seem to one of the many that do not attract attention by manner of driving etc.

Good luck.

DVD
Convictions - SteveH42
I must admit I've never even been stopped by the police, despite for the first 3 years after passing my test regularly driving around in my mother's Saab 900. (Not a car you'd imagine seeing a teenager in!) Mind you, I'm even more boring than you - I tend to go no faster than 75 on the motorway, but I do overtake police cars when safe to do so within the limit - something which a lot of other drivers don't seem to think is allowed! I think the only time I have attracted the attention of a plod is when one followed me for about 3 miles through a 40 limit, with me sticking to the limit. He finally got sick of that and zoomed past and off in to the distance... :)

I'd suspect, however, that these days, the majority of convictions would come from speed cameras. After all, most appear to be put not where they will improve safety, but where they will catch people frustrated by a low limit on a road where a much higher one would be safe...
Convictions - Doc
In today\'s DT, HJ responds to T.M. \"Nearly everyone has one conviction, or will have by the end of 2003\".

[snip] If you want to argue with HJ, then by all means do so. If you want to insult him, or anyone else for that matter, find somewhere else to be. Mark.

I join Chris M in not having any conviction in 37 years driving and know many others in a similar position.
Convictions - KEB
Don't be complacent! 35 years of accident free / conviction free driving came to an end for me last November. Filthy morning, took M27 into Southampton instead of usual (blocked) A35 - came off at airport junction, down a dual carriageway with THREE sets of derestriction signs over 400m - then hit 40mph sign about 100m before lights. Started to slow, but was being overtaken on the inside by a huge lorry spewing spray, and had a right hand feeder lane for right turns at the lights full of cars, some of which were not quite in the lane.

RESULT - distracted, went through the lights 1.5 secs into the red and flash went the camera. Fixed penalty of £60 and 3 points - it could happen to you tomorrow!
Convictions - googolplex
having popped back to London recently, the number of opportunities for getting caught is so vast I doubt whether anyone could get by without getting caught.

My last (any only) conviction was in 1991 and I can't help thinking that my turn is long overdue...

I agree with KEB et al. hope some of these guys don't get to eat their words...

splodgeface
Convictions - Big John
The only time I was ever stopped for speeding was in 1988. I usually drive at around 75-80mph on motorways but slow down in speed camera area's. IE speed cameras DO make me change my driving.
Convictions - BrianW
I tempt fate by stating that I have a clean licence: so far, touch wood, fondle rabbit's tail, etc..

But I can't help having the feeling that the authorities are out to get ever-increasing convictions, by fair means or foul!

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Convictions - HF
(rabbit's FOOT, Brian, not tail - get it right and you'll be ok ;)
HF
Convictions - dom grimes
It's all relative - you don't say how many miles a week you drive - I drive a minimum of 1000 miles a week. Motorways, A-roads, city centres etc. I have noticed a massive increase in speed cameras and mobile cameras. I try to drive carefully and have got 6 points in the last 18 months after 15 years of doing this sort of mileage. You have been lucky, that is the only reason you have not been caught.

Dominic
Convictions - Chris M
I agree it's all relative and that I have been lucky. I do less than 15,000 miles per year and mostly on roads I know. But we all make mistakes from time to time, like going through red lights unintentially.

I wonder whether HJ's comment is backed up by statistics or is it just his gut feeling?

Chris M
Convictions - Doc
I wonder whether HJ's comment is backed up by statistics or
is it just his gut feeling?

I wonder the same.
Convictions - Nortones2
Not wishing to be personal, but many drivers are not unlucky. Commercial drivers seem to be exempt from the restraint that owner-drivers usually exercise. Take taxis: they must have assumed names, or a quiet arrangement with plod, to get away with it. Outside central London of course. In central London only pedestrians travel below the limits. I'm thinking of peak speeds, not average! Just take Cromwell Rd (Knightsbridge) traffic: this is the finest continual exhibition of 0-60 testing I've ever seen:)
Convictions - BrianW
The Government has announced that its target is 3 million speeding convictions in 2003. (There were 1 million in 2001 and I suspect about 2 million in 2002)
London is being stuffed with cameras, so only pedestrians and cyclists will escape convictions, simply because you have to concentrate on the traffic and not your speedo.
With speeding convictions going up by 1 million per year, by 2010 twenty five percent of drivers will have accumulated 12 points in the previous three years and will be off the road.
Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Convictions - Flat in Fifth
The Government has announced that its target is 3 million speeding
convictions in 2003. (There were 1 million in 2001 and I
suspect about 2 million in 2002)

What I can't get my head round is that surely the Government target should be zero convictions, ie everyone behaves themselves. Or am I missing something?
Convictions - BrianW
FiF
I am sure that I don't have to tell you what you are missing.

Road safety campaigns cost money.
Building safer roads costs money.

Fining people raises money.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Convictions - Flat in Fifth
Brian

Exactly.

Yet we get the weasel words of "we would be happy if we did not have to fine anyone" attributable to a certain Chief of Constabulary in northern parts of the Principality.

Wrong target IMHO.

FiF

Convictions - BrianW
FiF
There is a parallel in one Government department putting health warnings on fag packets to stop smoking, whilst another government department declares that it is losing billions because people buy fags abroad.

And one Government trying to cut car use while another Government department gets ten percent of total tax revenue from motoring.

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Convictions - Andrew-T
Dom - I'm just trying to get my head round this. If your min. is 1000/week, what is your max.? It must mean an average of at least 20 hours on the move, unless you never visit any inhabited areas. Is any of it from choice? Presumably because of the time it takes, you are tempted to go a bit faster than permitted? Please tell me more about your motor-full life.
Convictions - dom grimes
Andrew,

I suspect there are plenty of people like me. i am a sales manager for a rextiles company. I live in Manchester and visit my offices in Northants on Monday and Friday - round trip 640 miles. I spend a day a week with my reps, based in Bristol, Norwich, Leeds, Birmingham & London. the rest of the week is spent with customers based all over the UK - Glasgow, London, newcastle etc. this week i have driven 1244 miles. I cant use the train, I have a boot full of samples. I have a decent car, a Saab 95 Estate, and have over the last 20 years have driven most makes - Beemers, Mercs, Fords, vauxhall, Rovers ( in my opinion the best cars on the road are a toss up bewtween Merc 220CDI and BMW 320d) the traffic gets worse by the month. God only knows what this congestion charge will do, no-one will pay, those that can charge it to their company, i.e me won't care. I'ts got "poll tax shambles2 written all over it.As i said I don't think I am any different to thousands of business drivers all over the country

Domninc
Convictions - teabelly
I also notice that companies are going to be held more responsible if their employees have accidents while driving. If you are doing serious mileages that put stress on you to get to appointments so fast that you have to speed to do it then your employer could be held partly to blame. Personally I think that having one person having to cover such a large area is stupid and companies should be forced to make sure their sales people have a reasonable area to cover and still earn a reasonable wage.

Companies should also encourage their employees to live closer to their place of work. I'm sure the system of tax credits could be used persuade people to do this.
teabelly
Convictions - chris p crisps ©
I also notice that companies are going to be held more
responsible if their employees have accidents while driving. If you are
doing serious mileages that put stress on you to get to
appointments so fast that you have to speed to do it
then your employer could be held partly to blame. Personally
I think that having one person having to cover such a
large area is stupid and companies should be forced to make
sure their sales people have a reasonable area to cover and
still earn a reasonable wage.
Companies should also encourage their employees to live closer to their
place of work. I'm sure the system of tax credits could
be used persuade people to do this.
teabelly

Unfortunately if you are a sales person or engineer on the road you cannot live close to your work unless your office has a branch in every town / city.The company I work for used to have offices throughout europe but have all closed,quess who has to do the work now with no more manpower. But I do agree that companies should be held responsable for employies in these circumstances ,in fact my employeer has stated that we should stop and book into a hotel if we are out on the road late HA HA(I can emagine the uproar if we did though)cos it would throw out next days scheduling.employeers want more and more for thier money.

chris
Convictions - tone
>>Companies should also encourage their employees to live closer
>>to their place of work. I'm sure the system of tax credits
>>could be used persuade people to do this.

People don't hold jobs as long anymore, having to move every 2-4 years would cause more problems.
Convictions - PhilW
Dom,
Not wishing to be in the slightest provocative here but I have a few questions out of interest.
On Monday and Friday your round trip of 640 miles must take getting on for 10 hours (or even much more judging from the state of M6/M1)- is that part of a (very long)working day? if so it seems a hell of a waste of a skilled sales manager that he spends that time sitting in a car rather than "sales managing". Is it on top of the working day? If so it would seem to be very unreasonable (not to say dangerous!)to expect someone to do their job efficiently and spend that time in the car on top of "work". Or is it a combination of the two? i.e. that your company expects you to put in a 12-14 hour day of which 10 hours is spent (unproductively) driving a car and 2 - 4 hours actually doing your "work"?
Just wondered! I am lucky enough to live 5 miles from my (sedentary) job along country roads - takes me 10 mins on a bad day
PhilW
Convictions - DavidHM
I think what he means is Manchester-->Northampton and back, twice in a week, accounts for half his mileage. In other words, "only" 5 hours is spent on unproductive driving. (viamicheln.com tells me that it's 141 miles between the two).
Convictions - Martin Wall
Chris M wrote:

"I don't intend this to sound smug, but I haven't had a conviction in 25 years of driving."

Ah - you see what you just did there - you just tempted fate!
Best of luck :-)

(Yes - most people I know with decades of driving experience don't have speeding convictions although it depends where you live and what roads you drive on I guess.)

Convictions - No Do$h
I have to side with HJ.

Bournemouth has seen 3 weeks of mobile speed cameras (hidden in vans or in black boxes at pavement level) on all commuter routes. What riles is that as they don't flash you may well be nobbled 4 mornings in a row at 33 and lose your licence.

Local paper did usual self congratulatory blurb AFTER the event.
No Dosh - He who dies with the most toys wins.
Convictions - googolplex
Local paper did usual self congratulatory blurb AFTER the event.
No Dosh - He who dies with the most toys wins.

Noticed an article in our local rag this week which gave details of forthcoming mobile speed camera roads to be targetted. Can't be fairer than that. Trouble is, its not going to make a jot of difference to the way I drive because I'll forget when I'm trying to get from A to B. Presumably I'll get caught and then remember the blasted article and then swear several times and ....

Splodgeface
Convictions - Hugo {P}
I didn't read the article.

Despite the view that most people will have convictions about now, how is our accident rate going, Up or Down?

H
Convictions - BrianW
Hugo
I haven't seen the figures for 2002 yet, but the trend is flat/very slight fall.
The 2001 fatalities figure was just over 3,400, IIRC.
The figures were falling fairly consistently until around 1998, but the downward trend has been less marked since then.
Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Convictions - Dave_TD
Our local rag has taken to publishing sites of camera use on a weekly basis:

www.seriousaboutnews.com/bos/pages/speed.shtml

MOBILE SPEED CAMERA LOCATIONS

Week commencing January 20, 2002

A1 Road Beeston
A1 Road Sandy
A1081 Airport Way, Luton
A421 Milton Keynes Link Road
A428 Bromham Road, Bedford
A428 Goldington Road, Bedford
A5 near Battlesden
A5 near Kensworth turn
A505 Dunstable Road, Luton
A505 Hitchin Road, Luton
A505 Leighton-Linslade Bypass
A505 Park Viaduct
A505 Road, Tilsworth
A5120 Station Road, Toddington
A6 High Street, Clapham
A6 New Bedford Road, Luton
A6 near Barton Road, Gravenhurst
B1040 Potton Road, Biggleswade
B4540 Common Road, Kensworth
B531 Bedford Road, Kempston
Crawley Green Road, Luton
Leagrave High Street, Luton
Park Avenue, Bedford
Waller Avenue, Luton
B530 Road, south of Stewartby

HOWEVER they may not be operating cameras at all these sites in the next 7 days, furthermore they are free to operate cameras at any other sites they wish! So what use is printing the above list? They're all clear, fast open stretches of road, where common sense would tell you a speed trap is likely anyway.
Convictions - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...
I got flashed about 15 months ago, and got the paperwork for it about 3 months later. It was a standard fine (41 mph in a 30 zone), but as I was in the process of moving myself and family over to Spain to live and work, I ignored it. I received a summons a few months later and ignored that also.

Well, to cut a long story short, after 6 months we've all returned to here in the UK. And I see I should have appeared in court over this incident last December. I haven't received any more paperwork yet, but what is the situation with delaying a conviction? Do you sill get the same penalty points, but just pay a bigger fine? Or does the court increase the points?

(As I still have the same car, and have returned to the same rented address, I see no way of wriggling out this one.)

Any help appreciated.

Chris
Convictions - Dwight Van Driver
All depends on the efficiency of the Court Office.They can either call it a day if they know you were unobtainable, OR:

Having issued a summons to a Court date and you have failed to appear or send any explanation then, on application, a warrant could be issued for your arrest for non attendance.

Ball, at the moment seems to be in your court (pun) as to what you do. Either stick it out and hope the matter rests or approach the Mags Clerks Office and let them know you are available.

If you got nothing whatsoever until three months after the flash then a NIP has not been served within the 14 days of the offence, an essential element in speeding cases for a prosecution to succeed. If a company car or rented NIP may have been served on registered keeper which is good practice.

DVD.

Convictions - terryb
Chris

Do some research on other threads on this site. I'm pretty sure 3 months is too long for the paperwork to reach you - assuming it didn't get lost in the post.

Failing that - scarper back to Spain pdq!

Terry
Convictions - mark
DVD is absolutely correct here 14 days is the maximum period for issue.

Have a look on the speedtrap bible website there is a very clear description of a case that was overturned where 14 days was proved to have not been met by the force.

as ever

Mark
Thanks guys.

As suggested, I've checked out this "14 day" business a bit more thoroughly. I'm pretty sure 3 months had elapsed before I received any summons, but it could be that the initial paperwork was sent to me much earlier and I didn't receive it. The block of flats we lived in then (and have now returned to) had a lot of probs with missing mail at that time.

Anyway, after reading other threads here on this forum, I decided to bit the bullet and I contacted the court this afternoon. It turns out that I've missed a total of 3 different court appearances (not 2) and another court appearance has been scheduled for mid-February.

As stated in my first post, I've got no way of wriggling out of this one. I just hope the court will be lenient. But it is b***** annoying. I've had a clean license for 15 years ...

Thanx again.

Chris
Convictions - Mark (RLBS)
The mistake was not replying to the summons, since I suspect that is an offence, irrespective of whether or not you can get the speeding conviction.

Years ago I got caught by police on the M3. Not the same, I know, since you are told at the time of possible prosecution.

I then, within a week or two, moved to New York. A while into the future the summons eventually reached me by a circuitous route and a couple of months late.

I wrote to them and explained. They were polite, dealt with it in my absence and fined me - which I paid.

However - no points and no ban, even on my UK licence, although by then I was driving on a US licence. Had I been living in the UK I would have got both, since I was well over 100mph.

I suspect that if you now write to them and explain then at worst it will be the normal points/fine you would have received had you dealt with it at the time, although I would gloss over the delay between receiving the summons and leaving the country.

Of course, your gamble is that by writing to them you will alert them to something they may have discarded. However, it will undoubtedly be worse if they find you.

I ignored a summons once. Actually, repeated summonses for the same traffic offence. When they caught up with me a loooong time later I got absolutely hammered.

I'd come clean if I was you.
Convictions - jeds
I too have driven for 25 years and never had any conviction - until a couple of months ago that is when I picked up a speeding ticket from a mobile unit sat on the side of a dual carriageway. I was doing 49 in a 40 on a flyover where there are no pedestrians and not another car in site. No contribution to road safety whatsoever.
{bump}

In case anyone's interested (my little story above), I pleaded guilty by letter, and I've just got the paperwork back: three penalty points and a £160 fine with £35 costs. £195 in total. I knew that the fine would be a big one, but I'm pleased I got only the standard three points. It seems that if you delay the conviction then only the fine is bigger.

chris