What to do next - dave18
Hi
Ive been stupid, very stupid - drink driving. Yes I regret it, a lot, thankfully the only consequence has been the loss of my licence. Spare me the telling off, I know im wrong!
But I need advice for my Mum - she has a Rover 111, P reg, 46k. Ive given her my Peugeot 309, K reg, 86k. She prefers the Peugeot to drive.
The Rover will reap money which is much needed for her at the moment, but the clutch is on its way out. The Peugeot has been better maintained (in the past as well as the 15k Ive had it.) but the tracking and gearchange aren't too good.
With regards to her ineterests, which would you suggest she keeps?
Again - no offence - Im posting to find out what may be best for her. This isn't to help me, so I don't want to start a debate about idiot drink drivers because my own opinion on that would be highly hypocritical.
What to do next - Miller
Ive done the same in the past and admit it is stupid but I have been lucky enough not to be caught. However I thought you were banned for breaking the six points in two year rule?

With regards to which car to keep, I guess you would get around £500 for the 309 or £1000 for the rover, so I guess it depends on how much difference the extra £500 will make to your mother bearing in mind the 309 may need some repairs in the near future.

Im a loser baby....so why don't you kill me?!
What to do next - dave18
6 points in 2 years - yeah I was all set to retake my theory test and even had some refresher lessons booked! Lesson learned. Most certainly won't be touching a drop when I go out, which will be in a fair while, in a Panda 750 or similar... :)
What to do next - terryb
Dave

Those of us who have been driving since before the first breathalyser tests can only say "There but for the grace of God..."

Terry
What to do next - Mark (RLBS)
Dave said..

"But I need advice for my Mum - she has a Rover 111, P reg, 46k. Ive given her my Peugeot 309, K reg, 86k. She prefers the Peugeot to drive.

The Rover will reap money which is much needed for her at the moment, but the clutch is on its way out. The Peugeot has been better maintained (in the past as well as the 15k Ive had it.) but the tracking and gearchange aren't too good.

With regards to her ineterests, which would you suggest she keeps?

Again - no offence - Im posting to find out what may be best for her. This isn't to help me, so I don't want to start a debate about idiot drink drivers..............."

Can you please address this part of the subject. By all means start a different thread on the subject of drink-driving, which would probably be vaulable, but lets try and help Dave's mum in this thread.
What to do next - Ian (Cape Town)
Righto, Mark.
I'll start!
What to do next - dave18
Thanks everyone for being reasonable and giving good advice here - Mum is wanting to ask £850 for the 309 on account of spending a lot on repairs already, some not essential, so its in very good condition. Couple of things seem iffy on both cars - clutch on the Rover, plus its a bit tappety (Mum doesn't know what 'service' means, and theres a weird notchy noise in the gearchange, very noticeable if you deliberately wobble the lever side to side in neutral. On the Peugeot, engaging 1st is difficult from cold, and reverse has to be slammed in, but another 309 Ive driven is similar. Plus the tracking is poor.
What to do next - CM
I'm not that technically qualified but I don't believe that tracking is that expensive to sort out.
What to do next - Maz
I would advertise them both in Trade-it and on this site to see what you get. That doubles your options and the adverts are free.

Remember there is a large gap between what you think your car is worth and having the cash in your sky rocket.
What to do next - Baskerville
Peugeot 309 gearchanges (and any PSA gearbox from that era in fact) are always like this from cold. Not a sign of anything sinister. Has years left in it. Tracking cheap to sort out. Keep the Pug as it's a better car.

You are using the collar to engage reverse, aren't you? ;-)
What to do next - Hugo {P}
How long before you get your licence back?

If it's 12 months or so, why not keep both cars, let your mum drive the one that she prefers, then think about putting the other back on the road when you can drive again?

In that time you've got time to change the clutch on the Rover 111, if you get the old Haynes Manual out.

I know it doesn't help your mum's financial problems, but you won't see much depreciation on either car in 12 to 18 months, and whatever you buy for that money will be subject to a lottery.

In addition, a competitive tpf & t policy on either car (especially the Rover 111) may not cost that much, even with your D & D.

All the best

Hugo
What to do next - dave18
I really like the peugeot and I'll really (id like to use a far stronger word) miss it. Im looking at 2 - 3 yrs - the sentences are very strong nowadays, particularly where I live because they get drink drivers coming home from Liverpool, Southport and Manchester. Insurance will be a killer - Im 19 and I'll be 21 or 22 when I get my license back. However I am considering seeking advice as to what the insurance may cost when I get it back, should my Mum keep both cars, which is unlikely. Personally Id like her to keep the Pug, and by the time I can drive, and AFFORD to drive again, (which will be when she is qualified as a teacher and I have my license back, and probably will have to wait till ive graduated) I can drive it for its last couple of years of life... but I don't know, obviously its up to her. :) Thanks for the advice everyone.
What to do next - dave18
(ie buy it from her for whatever menial sum its worth by then, as she will have graduated before me, and will be earning.)