Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Phlipper

Hi, I'm a small business owner, operating out of some industrial units. 3 weeks ago, I mentioned to a neighbouring business owner that I was keeping my eye out for a cheap 7 seater. He said that, coincidentally, he knew of an Espace going that he could get for £600, but it was in Rochdale (we're in Swansea). I said I'd have a look at it.

The next morning, he told me that he'd bought the car the night before, and got it for £525 for me (+ the cost of delivery), the car had 79k on the clock, 11 mths MOT and 9 mths Tax. I was chuffed. This was a Wednesday, he said the car would probably come down on Sunday. He'd paid out for the car, so I gave him the cash. On Sunday he said that getting back to Rochdale would be a problem for the driver, so they'd sorted a place on a car transporter on the cheap. Tuesday morning he said the car had been picked up, and should be with us on Wednesday. By Wednesday evening, he said the driver had hit his tacho limit, the car would be the next morning. This same excuse went on for the rest of the week, until Friday when he disappeared. He phoned to say his daughter had been taken ill, but he'd had the car dropped off with a dealership in town. Next day he said he'd spent the night in hospital with his daughter, so I left it there. The day after, his car had been stolen. The day after he'd stayed home all day waiting for a courtesy which never arrived (and still hasn't two weeks later!).

I went to the dealership that he named and walked around the thousand or so cars there. There was no car that matched, I looked everywhere. I called him and he said it'd be tucked away, I wouldn't be able to find it.

From then on, it became a problem with "waiting for a banker's draft to clear". I told him that there's no clearance time on a banker's draft. I've always had the impression that he's a fool, rather than a conman, and that he had spoken too soon on a deal that hadn't transpired.

Two days ago, he told me he's found a better Espace, 01 plate blah, blah, blah. I told him if the car wasn't with me the next day I'm taking my money back. More excuses for non-appearance of a car etc.

Our landlord told me this morning that he'd bounced a cheque on him.

He's almost a pensioner, so breaking his legs is out of the question. he does have some cars here though. So what I'm wondering is, is it legal for me to take the keys to these cars and refuse to hand them over until I get my money back?

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Chris S

By the sound of it he's up to his kneck in debt and saw you as an easy way to make a quick £600.

Just join the queue of creditors.

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - jc2

He's the conman;you're the ****!

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Dwight Van Driver

Fraud.

Criminal offence.

Plodshop now

dvd

Thanks jc2! About sums it up.

I also think it's fraud, though.

Update: Today's excuse - his father died last night, but he claims he now has my car and will bring it in the morning. I'll keep you updated (part of me is so fascinated by his continuous lying that I'm even tempted to let it run and see how creative he gets). If, by any chance, it turns out he's not lying, he must be the unluckiest man on earth at the moment (except Gordon Brown, maybe).

Edited by Phlipper on 13/05/2010 at 00:36

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - jc2

I tend to agree with you,tho' not about Gordon-he made his own luck!

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - ajsdoc

He's stolen money from you. The excuses, as you correctly point out, are increasingly laughable. You'll likely be putting this down to experience...

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Collos25

And you wanted an Espace.

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - concrete

Hi Phlipper, you couldn't make this up could you? If this was in a book you would laugh at how ridiculous it all is. I admire you seeing some humour in this and wanting to let it run to see what happens next, Eastenders eat your hearts out. However when push goes to shove you will need to involve the police. Seems like a clear case of deception and obtaining money under false pretenses. You will need evidence about the cash, either a receipt from him (ho ho) or a bank statement showing withdrawal of the amount. The rest will be just procedure. Be warned though, that if he hasn't got a pot to spit in then you will get nothing back. Your only remedy would be the Small Claims Court but you may be throwing good money after bad. Even if you get a judgement against him you can't get blood from a stone. This might be one down to experience. Good luck. Concrete

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Falkirk Bairn

It is fraud -threaten & go to the police - that may get him to suddenly find the £££s

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Lygonos

Who would give someone money for a car they hadn't even looked at ?

Conman or Fool, or both, maybe. - Geistak

Who would give someone money for a car they hadn't even looked at ?

Well, you might - if you knew the seller, and if the car seemed enough of a bargain.

OTOH, many years ago I bought a car from a garage run by an old bloke. The car needed a few jobs, which he said he would do before I collected it.

I was very happy with the deal, and offered to pay for the car there ad then - only to have my money refused by the old gent (who was obviously *the* honest car dealer, celebrated in myth and legend!), who told me, "There are two kinds of bad payer, lad - those who don't pay at all, and those who pay too early"

A nice old man, doubtless long gone (taking his morality with him, I fear)

I've bought cars this way before... placing yourself in the trust of a mechanic can pay off unless, like me, your trust is misplaced.

UPDATE: The plot thickened... found more and more people with their own stories about this con, most of it hearsay, but nonetheless, very worrying. After finding his home address and thinking a bit, I threatened with the police (I opened a case with them to get a ref, no. they are now waiting to hear from me) and then I also told him that if I didn't get my money by last Monday, I'd continue with the complaint.

On Monday I got a text saying that the money wasn't clear in the bank, and it would now be Wednesday. I told him that the police, the benefits agency and the council would all be getting calls about him (I figure there's no way that this guy's legit). I arranged to collect the money on Wed at 12. Nobody there. Tried phoning, he text back saying that he was at his father's funeral (apparently, he'd forgotten about this on Monday!). I agreed to leave it till today.

Today my heart sank when he turned up at my office with £100. This now means that the police will say it's a simple debt and that he's showing intent of paying it back. I'm hoping he doesn't know this. He says he'll pay the rest tomorrow - but I seriously doubt it. It seems the calls to the various offices are what put a rocket up his a**e though - so if he messes me around tomorrow I'm going to wait to get my money back and then report him for benefit fraud anyway.