Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi 2004 - Thermostat or Radiator issue - fabiagirl

I recently had a leaking hose repaired by the AA after my coolant warning light came on. He also told me that my radiator was staying cold even after several minutes' revving the engine at 2000rpm. The temperature gauge reaches normal and stays there (I've never noticed it above normal in 2 years' ownership) so I don't think the sensor is an issue.

He advised that I get the thermostat replaced as it was not opening up to start the radiator. I've also been advised that as long as the engine isn't overheating there's no problem. I've no intention of fixing this myself, I'd just like to get the right parts and take to a garage sounding like I know what I'm talking about so I don't get ripped off (always a risk, being a girl!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi 2004 - Thermostat or Radiator issue - focusman

hi

i would check it again after a run when your temperature guage reads normal.

on my focus diesel, if it justs sits on the drive on tick over the needle never moves off cold.

diesel's take a long time to warm up even after revving the engine.

after a run lift the bonnet and feel the radiator and top hose, if they are hot i would take it that the thermostat is operating normally.

if it is still cold and the gauge has reached operating temp after the run, then get it checked out, just in case we get a very hot summer which is when you may hit overheating trouble.

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi 2004 - Thermostat or Radiator issue - 659FBE

The PD diesel engine is so efficient that it does not produce enough heat to open the thermostat unless the engine is under load. Off load, the heater matrix provides sufficient cooling.

I would suggest that there is nothing at all wrong with this engine. Try feeling the return hose from the radiator after a spell of hard driving (uphill in a low gear is a good test) by which time it should be warm. It's unlikely ever to be hot.

Water pumps are a weakness on these engines as the plastic impellers come loose or break up. The dashboard thermometer will indicate overheating under heavy load if this is a problem.

Always, without fail, use the specified antifreeze and deionised water. The type is marked on the header tank - usually G12.