Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - teflonbill

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can offer assistance?

My Ford Mondeo ST24 has become a challenge to drive on certain types of road, and it's quite unenjoyable. I picked the car up at a very reasonable price last year and knew it needed a few bits done. The front anti-roll bar links were knocking so replaced them (admittedly, with cheap ones). all four front wishbone bushes were hammered so replaced both arms over the new year. I had a four wheel alignment done after this too.

On dead straight roads with a decent surface, the car drives ok. However if there is any kind of deviation such as a tarmac repair it feels like the car almost wants to steer itself when going over it, and sometimes it even pulls slightly towards whatever the deviation is.

The mechanic at the garage said that the front shocks were on their way out and sometimes it does feel like a bit of a bouncy castle at the front end. also, the front near side strut makes a terrible metallic clunk that sounds throughout the whole car if I drive over any lowered ironwork, drains etc at any speed above 30mph. This is suggesting to me that something is wrong with the shock, spring or even the top mount? This is getting a bit out of my field for diagnosis though, even though I could happily fix it myself if I knew what.

One last thing, the front two tyres were almost brand new when I got the car but they are a pair of crappy Mohawks, 205/50/R16. They are ok in the dry but understeer a bit in the wet despite still having 6mm+ of tread left. Could these be a cause of at least some of my problems? It's got it's MOT next week so I feel there might be some mandatory unrelated repairs, and then I want to make sure I carefully spend whatever money I have left on getting these handling problems sorted first time.

Thanks for reading, Bill

Edited by teflonbill on 20/03/2010 at 07:59

Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - gordonbennet

Tyres are often responsible for tramlining and you are describing that exactly.

Thats not to say there may not be gradual wear and tear in the rest of the suspension, though the alignment guru should have picked up any undue wear whilst he was adjusting things, assuming that he/she was competent, only you can be the judge of that.

Sounds like you are unsure of the tyres anyway, first port of call?

Edit...not related to Teflon Tony are you?.;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2010 at 08:10

Hi and thanks for the quick reply :)

Yes I intend to get rid of the crap tyres at some point, but considering they have a fair bit of life left I thought that they could take a back seat if the suspension problems are more pressing. Ideally I'd like Uniroyal Rainsports all round, but what I'd probably do first is transfer the back two tyres to the front (a Cooper Zeon/Firestone Firehawk mismatched pair with 7mm tread each) and get a pair of Uniroyals on the back. The front two tyres if anything show greater wear on the outside edges but it's not massively more than the inside edges.

The guy who did my alignment is a good mate and I think he would have noticed if something was way out (he works at the same garage as the mechanic who told me the shocks were tired, both are good mates and family friends who I trust). Thanks for the advice. The deafening clunk I get from the NSF strut area is also there when going over speed bumps if I got faster than say 10mph, I think there must be something not quite right there but as I said it could be the spring or the shock (or maybe something else) so I will have to wait and see. as far as I know though, a shock will only fail the MOT if it's seized or leaking? Thanks for all your help.

PS - not related to Teflon Tony, lol :)

Wouldn't hurt to swap those tyres front to back and see if there's any change to the symptoms Bill before you splash out on something not causing any problems, the edge wear does sound like something was out before alignment or weak bushing (clunking) or similar only becoming a problem as speed increases, unless you take corners at scorching rates.

Good choice in tyres though for the future.

PS glad no relation, i really couldn't bring meself to be civil.;)

Don't forget to check bush etc wear at the back too in case it's getting a bit of rear steer effect.

I've been a bit of a lurker here before and found some helpful posts, but not noticed anyone called Teflon Tony. I take it that he was a bit of a problematic member?

I will check the rear aRB bushes for sure, very cheap and easy to replace and probably worth doing as a matter of course.

Not a poster aFaIK, no money in it....it's the former got out just in time leader of a certain misnamed party i'm referring to.;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/03/2010 at 11:26

Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - bathtub tom

D'yer want a cherry on that?

buy a proper car

I don't believe this is a post from our leader, it can't be.

Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - WellKnownSid

No, someone pretending to be HJ I'm afraid.

Thanks WKS some raised hackles that caused.

I wonder what pleasure that sort of thing gives, they need to get a life and pronto.

Hi again, well, just a few updates:

1) I swapped the tyres front to back, and it's made no real difference to the handling

2) It had its MOT last week and sailed through (I acknowledge that MOT testers are only human and some components need to be on the verge of destruction before a tester makes note)

So I'm happy it passed its MOT incurring zero cost to me (other than the test fee) but almost disappointed that no wear in the suspension was flagged up because it would at least give me something to work on. I think when I get the time I will replace the front shocks and work from there.

Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - DP

Shocks will make a big difference. The Mondeo is also very sensitive to wheel alignment, but you've had that done already. That said, if you've replaced any bushes since having this done, it's probably worth having it done again, as bushes can have a major impact on wheel alignment.

An ST24 should be an absolute pleasure to hustle along the lanes, even by current standards, so clearly something isn't right. The MOT should have picked up any wear which has occurred to the extent that it's adversely affecting the drive, so my money would still be on alignment.

If the Basingstoke/Andover area is accessible for you, I can recommend a superb establishment about 5 minutes from the M3 at J8 who did a cracking job on my old mk2 Mondy.

Ford Mondeo II - Mondeo ST24 - poor handling, please help - jeremy99

As said above, I have also found my Mondeo II 2.0 Zetec estate very sensitive to small amounts of wear in the front suspension. The car had some strange tyre wear, which was caused by soft rear suspnesion and a previous owner having fitted diesel front springs on a petrol! I than fitted new springs and Bilstein B4 shock absorbers.

Having got the springs/shocks right I have progressively replaced the front sub frame bushes, the anti roll bar bushes and the front lower suspension arms and each time the steering has improved and the tram lining diminished. None of these was an MOT failure but there was an advisory on one lower arm bush. After 2.5 years of ownership my 2000 model now feels very close to the 1998 model I had as a company car in 2000. The lower arms came from a well known parts importer who has now branched out into most models and the arms seem all but identical to the Ford ones fitted by the last owner's dealer about 4 years ago.

The bushes are cheap but can be a struggle to fit and unless you can do it yourself won't be that cheap to install. Howver the labour for doing all the bushes together ought to be close to that for doing them one at a time. If you want to just check the subframe alignment the necessary pins can be obtained for around £25.