Tar Remover, Recommendation - redviper
Hi Everyone

I know this has probably been discussed before - but can anyone recommend a decent tar remover - i tried Car Plan Tar Remover but i did not find it very good and nearly rubbed the paintwork off trying to remove some bits (mods please remove the brand if necessary im not naming and shaming but didn?t know if it was going to be ok)

also is there anything to remove insects or can tar remover be used for that as well?

"Tar" Very much
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Dynamic Dave
White spirit will remove tar. Wax/polish afterwards though.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - madf
White spirit will also remove insects .. and the natural oils in your skin. I always use latex gloves when using it. (we get lots of tar splashes summer and winter).
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
White spirit as above for tar.
Autoglym Motorcycle Cleaner is great at removing dried on insects. Spray on and after a few seconds rub with a soft paint brush. Wash off straight away with water as product can dull paint if left to dry on. Repeat as necessary.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Armitage Shanks {p}
Had to fall about laughing 30 years ago. A colleague got tar on his brand new Ford Crapi and sprayed white spritit all over the offending areas. 5 Minutes later there was a tinkling noise as all his chrome trim fell off, having been held on with nylon clips, a coal tar derived product!
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Roly93
White spirit will also remove insects .. and the natural oils in your skin. I
always use latex gloves when using it. (we get lots of tar splashes summer and
winter).

You're lucky to be driving anywhere where they are repairing the roads !
Tar Remover, Recommendation - danensis
When we were kids and got tar all over us, my mum used to use lard to remove it.

As for traffic film, I used to have an aerosol of something called "Traffic Film Remover". It was designed for removing traffic film from road signs, but was equally effective on car paintwork. A search on "traffic film remover" will produce several vendors.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Marc
Autoglym Tar Remover is very good. Bit pricey but a bottle lasts years. Works just as good on mats/upholstery as bodywork ie non bleaching.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Auristocrat
Yes - Auto Glym is about the best there is.
Also brings up like new the plastic filler strips between the bodykit and the body of my Corolla Colour Collection.
Halfords often have 3 for the price of 2 on Auto Glym cleaning products as well.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Falkirk Bairn
Mix a little oil(new) + Petrol in a cup sized container - apply with a rag and then wash, dry & wax/polish.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - henry k
Polycell brush cleaner is my choice of tar remover.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Halmer
I just polish the car with Autoglym polish which (with a bit of elbow grease) gets rid of the tar.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Coincidentally , I used a bit of Autoglym polish on my wet car, after washing it, tonight to successfully remove insects on the front bumper and some mysterious gunge on the roof seams. Looks good.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - redviper
Cheers Everyone thats great, ill have a look out for the Autoglym and also try out the white spirit
Tar Remover, Recommendation - L'escargot
"Sticky Stuff Remover" (available at Wilkinsons) will remove gum, tar, adhesive, wax, crayon, grease, labels and grime, and probably insects as well.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - turbo11
I use White spirit, and a polish/wax after
Tar Remover, Recommendation - Fullchat
No one has yet mentioned WD40.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - stunorthants26
White Spirit and a soft cloth, anything more than that boosts the ego about how much one has spent on the product, but when something that costs 50p a litre is available, its kinda daft to spend more. Of course, people do, they like to think they know something professionals dont and well, they dont.

Wipe over the paintwork after with a damp chamois.
Tar Remover, Recommendation - oldgit
No one has yet mentioned WD40.

Well you can use that but why waste money spraying on a product that is largely just a aliphatic hydrocarbon solvent, similar to White Spirit plus a few essential additives. If you have White Spirit in your shed/garage for paint and allied trades, then why not use that cheaper option?

Edited by oldgit on 10/09/2009 at 12:40