Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - BobbyG
Pub discussion on Sat night, one guy had used the office pool car to visit a client and when he returned to the car park, managed to reverse it into the side of his own car!

Should he claim off work insurance - if he had hit any other car this would be the outcome
- or claim off his own insurance (insured comprehensive).

Office car was undamaged but own car has gouge on door and wing.

My immediate reaction was that it should be claimed off the work insurance, but can you claim for damage to your own vehicle that you caused whilst driving another one? And would his own insurance cover it if he knows how it happened and who was driving?

I left before the discussion finished but he was erring towards trying to get his own insurance to cover it, but not sure if this was out of "trying to keep it quiet" from the boss!
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Pugugly
If someone did this in my little firm, I would then sue them to get my losses back. I doubt whether the insurance companies would entertain a stupid attempt to try to be clever.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - rtj70
I would not think his employer would be happy to pay out for his mistake. Hitting his own car and they will be even unhappier. It would be interesting to know the real answer to what can or cannot be claimed.

Presumably, to claim on his own insurance he has to pretend someone did it without his knowledge - you cannot surely admit you ran into it yourself!

I would think he is better of not making the company pay. Besides some (like ours) do tally up accidents in a given period and make you contribute. Well I wouldn't know as I've had one accident ever in the UK. The one in Italy was pretty big but a hire car/HGV/tanker pileup.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Alby Back
Wharever the outcome, the guy had a pretty rubbish day though didn't he?

Um.....boss,....you'll laugh when I tell you........

Er.....darling......you'll laugh when I tell you.....

No wonder he was in the pub.....
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - FotheringtonThomas
I don't understand that - would you "sue them" to get back whatever losses you'd suffered, if the driver had claimed on your policy for hitting anything else?
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Altea Ego
It all depends on who insures the car he is driving.

If he, driving on work time, in a work car, insured by work, hits anything due to his negligence. - work insurance pays out. It doesn't matter who owns what he hit.

The fact he owns the damaged property is of no consequence. Its the same as if your new suit jacket gets chewed up by the confidential paper shredder (dont laugh - its happened to me) - if your property gets damaged - work insurance pays.

ts happened to me

I won't laugh.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - davidh
I think he will have to claim on his own insurance. He damaged his own car as surely as if he drove it in to a wall himself. He is the common denominator and the reason that the damage occured. i think the thing to remember is that it is the person that is insured and not the car.
He wasn't driving his car, though. Should (or could!) he claim on his own insurance if, driving the firm's car, he hits something else?
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - davidh
Yebbut, you cant be the perpetrator and the third party simultaneously. You'd be two people at once! :-))
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - CGNorwich
you cant be the perpetrator and the third party simultaneously.

but you can

Legally as driver he is acting as an agent of his employer. That is one legal entity

The car he hit belongs to the driver as an individual. That is a different legal entity.

The employers insurer would certainly respond to this accident. If the driver were to claim off his own Insurer they would make a recovery from the employer's insurer.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - AlastairW
Miles Kington claims his father invented this concept, by driving his own car into a car he had hired (he was getting his own car out of the drive so that his wife could follow him down to the car hire place and bring him home). Apparently as he had the keys to the hire car in his pocket he was considered to be in charge of both vehicles.
Per Kington this is quite a well known case in insurance circles, though I have my doubts.
I think his insurance company might resist - I would be very unhappy if I was his boss and he claimed off mine - very unhappy.
What if he reversed the garden wall of his driveway, damaging it? What if he crashed into his wife's car? I cannot see how you can be *particularly* unhappy about it, as long as he wasn't trying to "make", of course.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - R75
I think his insurance company might resist - I would be very unhappy if I
was his boss and he claimed off mine - very unhappy.

Why?

That's what you pay insurance for, is it not?
Because its a claim against a company policy and claims put premiums up ! Why should a company lose out because of his carelessness, especially as he benefits directly financially. As I say I would move to recover my losses from him. My view may not be the right one, but it is a commercial one ! If it was me I'd be too embarrassed to claim off my company's insurance.
would you do the same if it was any other car he had hit?

And how is he benefiting financially out of it? He now has a car that may well have been perfect before hand and now has been involved in an accident, so devaluing the car - maybe it is he who should be suing you for the difference in value of the car!

If he did not do it on purpose, then it was an accident, it happens, thats what the insurance is for.
"And how is he benefiting financially out of it?"

Because he's claiming from my insurance - he'll want a hire car whilst his is being fixed, he'll want to take it to "his" garage, he won't lose his excess or potentially his no-claims

"then it was an accident"

Yes - but down to his own neglect - totally to blame, he parked his car where he did, he reversed my company car into his own all on his silly own.

"maybe it is he who should be suing you for the difference in value of the car!"

"Eh !!!?? - fine - try it I would say.

Sorry this is winding me up now.

Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - moonshine {P}
Because he's claiming from my insurance - he'll want a hire car whilst his is
being fixed he'll want to take it to "his" garage he won't lose his excess
or potentially his no-claims

He would only be put back into the same position he was at the start. Effectively isn't he the third party and entitled to cliam as such?
Yes - but down to his own neglect - totally to blame he parked his
car where he did he reversed my company car into his own all on his
silly own.

I think most 'accidents' are down to neglect or human error.

So when things go bad you seem very happy to screw your employees. When times are good do you reward them?

Bah Humbug :-(
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - moonshine {P}
Thats a very harsh line you take there PU.

You could argue that why should an employee lose out due to an accident that happened while earning a profit for you.

>>as he benefits directly financially - I disagree, why would he benefit?
I now realise why I hate my job and not want to employ anybody any more. No wonder this country has become an impossible place to do business in !
I can't see any issue here. He was driving a car he was insured to drive and hit another vehicle. Therefore the claim is against the car he was driving at the time. So works insurance pays.

I suppose the only liability he has to his own insurance company is to notify them that he has had an accident, but he is not actually claiming off of his own insurance.
Right leave my misaligned moral compass out of this. Employee hits his own car in a company car, claims for damage to his car from the company policy. Who pays to fix the company car's damage ?? Company Insurance ? Maybe but expect (in my company anyway) for me to come along and recover my losses - i.e. Uninsured losses from the employee, plus a lasting hatred of that employee :-(
> Uninsured losses from the employee, plus a lasting hatred of that employee :-(

woo - hold on unless you have explicitly made me sign a form saying that you will recover uninsured losses from me in the event of an incident before I take out the company car, you dont have a leg to stand on.

Try and recover losses from me boss and I will have your rse in front of a tribunal citing constructive dismissal. AND damages for stress.

you will be working to pay off the compensation for the rest of your life.
Sorry try the rational (as I see it) approach. I give a chap a job - pay him a reasonable salary on the basis that that will convert into profit. I have a price structure that factors in his salary and on-costs as well as purchasing a decent "pool car" ( a new Honda Civic 3 years ago) as I have to comply with H&S legislation as regards a safe work place. I also, at great cost, insure him and others to drive this car. He then damages my car - which means time off the road and a cost I may bear through the prohibitive cost of claiming from the insurance (this actually happened last year when one of the staff reversed into a wall - owned by us and it cost us £400.00 to fix it without claiming) he then reverses my car into his (his fault no quibble) and he tries to get me to pay (through my insurance or paying direct to fix - this is the real business world remember) to fix his car. So through his negligence I end up paying to repair his car and mine. Sorry this is not what Insurance is for.

Anyway I feel better now :-)

AE,

Guess what as of tomorrow !
I think I am with PU on this. I think in our company (fleet of thousands) I'd have no leg to stand on to argue either. We are allowed a few accidents in a few years before we have to contribute.

Lets turn this around a bit.... I have a car with damage to it in a supermarket but nobody to blame. I then drive the company car into it to blame them and claim.

In the "real" example that starts this thread there was no damage to the company car despite damaging the employees car.... so how do we know the company car hit the other one at all?

The employee in the example was not just the third party though.

Lets forget the company car... I have two cars (say) that are insured in my name and my wife's name. Both allowed to drive each others cars. I then smash into the other car with the other. How do I claim? And would I? Try filling in the claim forms without raising questions.... I was reversing and smashed into my car.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - oldnotbold
"Try filling in the claim forms without raising questions.... I was reversing and smashed into my car. "

Perfectly legit claim, unless specifically disallowed by the policy. Just expect to have to provide good evidence etc., and of course take the knock in terms of loss of NCB, raised premiums etc.

Not much difference to a claim on the household contents policy if you damage a picture while falling down the stairs, as I did.

irt rtj

That then becomes insurance fraud, which if correct is very serious, and if not correct is a very serious allegation by someone!!!!!!!

As for your final point, that is no different to many cases I had to deal with of trucks from the same company having accidents in the depot/yard - insurance company pays out.

Edited by R75 on 15/12/2008 at 18:50

Oh well the customer will have to pay then (or does that make me a running dog of capitalism as well as the winner "Employer Of The Year - Not" award?)

Edited by Pugugly on 15/12/2008 at 18:53

R75, I know that is fraud and illegal - but no damage to the company car according to the original post.

If this was genuine then yes it's a legitimate claim but my employer at some point expects a company car driver who has too many accidents to contribute.
Not wanting to take this off on a tangent but to demonstrate what people might expect (this is true).

Someone left their company laptop in their car on the drive. The boot was full so it was left on the back seat. Laptop stolen through a broken window. The employee wanted to claim via the company for their personal camera in the laptop case. I'd have charged them for the laptop too - leaving it on view on the back seat.

Employees need to be more careful when in charge of company property.
Glad I don't work for "Blackadder, Scrooge and Blackadder, Solicitors."

;-)
But we do not know the renumeration package ;-) If it was say £100k+ pa but you were liable for damage to company property or whatever we might take the risk. You might like working there for all you know and being a careful driver should have no problems.

You might even get a nice bonus at Christmas of a turnip.

Baldrick

irt rtj70

Should the employer expect a contribution or do they supply additional training? How many company car drivers, driver on company business, actually receive any sort of training?

There is only one company I have worked for that has actively sought training for all its drivers, be they truck, van or car drivers. I was trained as an assessor for them and had to check on my depots drivers on a regular basis. This was either time triggered or accident/near miss triggered. If their driving did not meet the expected standard then I would give them some pointers, if they still failed to meet the standard then i could send them to an external training school for additional training. This applied to the sales force in their cars as well as the van and truck drivers.

There is no way on earth that a tribunal would uphold yours or Pug's case if you had not implemented something like the above first.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Mapmaker
Sorry, PU, I think you're absolutely wrong on this one. It's *exactly* what insurance is for. If your business is so tightly run then you need to provide more for contingencies - that's why most small businesses fail; they don't build in enough spare for contingencies.

Imagine that both these cars are Aston Martins (quite possible in an upmarket City estate agency). And imagine that the driver was doing 35mph as he drove past his own car in the street, misjudged, and wrote BOTH of them off. Total cost, £100k +.

It hurts, it really hurts. But are you REALLY saying that you'd sue him for losses? And expect to win??? (Anyway, the driver has no assets, his AM is on finance; deposit came out of last year's 200% bonus, no bonuses this year.)

It's generally bad luck on the employer - if your employee has an accident, you cough up. Isn't it?

Under these circumstances, I don't see where the problem is; there appears to be no damage to the employer's car; why cannot OP's friend claim on his own insurance? Answer: because if he tells the truth (and for this discussion to have any merit we must assume the truth is told) on his accident form, his ins. co. will claim against his employer's ins. co. At which point, PU will sue his poor office boy for tens of thousands.

When the office boy will already see increased premiums next year for having had a fault accident (again, assuming he tells his ins. co the truth).

I feel for the poor guy, I really do.
In fact, the moral of PU's tale is that PU needn't bother insuring his cars at all. It is for his employees to provide THIRD PARTY insurance for his cars.

And they'd be mad not to, for if they didn't, he'd sue them if they caused any damage.

Sorry, that just doesn't add up.
I'm sulking now.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Manatee
Tradition demands that we kick a man when he's down - sorry PU -

Let's assume the driver has comprehensive insurance on his own car, and he puts in a claim to his own insurer.

He will have to give details of the accident, the other party, and ultimately that party's insurer.

Given that his car was parked at the time, will his insurer not just recover its losses from the other, at fault, party's insurer - i.e. the firm's insurer? It will be no good him saying "I don't want you to pursue the other party" - it's not up to him at that point.

I think that's pretty much Mappy's point too.

The fact that it's his own car he's run into is just bad luck - would you take the same view if he'd hit someone else's?

Anyway here's an idea for you - I used to work for a (Scottish) company that charged the employee the first £100 of any claim unless all costs could be recovered from a third party. (I earned £3,300 a year at the time so this was serious money). For every accident-free year, we earned a £20 reduction; after 5 years you could have a free bang! The counter was reset to £100 after any fault-accident. This was of course made clear in the conditions of employment.

Employees who fell foul of this would often write to the transport manager explaining why they should not have to pay. The answer was always the same - "would you like to send us a cheque or shall we deduct it from your salary?"
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - SpamCan61 {P}
Looks like me and mapmaker agree on this one as much as we disagree on the merits of Vectras ;-).

One of the reasons I don't take a company car is that I read the T&Cs and lo and behold the management reserve the right to deduct the cost of claims from my wages. I don't think they've ever done this, but it's there in black and white, and I didn't fancy becoming a test case.
In response to R75.

1. My example of the laptop was resolved by providing a new laptop - but the employee did not get a new digital camera.

2. No there is no training - we used to have RoSPA defensive driving courses periodically but they are no more.

3. If we misfueled a car and the engine or whatever broke they can charge us - it's in the agreement for the company car.

As for PU's "employer" not needing insurance... well our fleet is self insured and therefore only requires basic 3rd party cover. When my Golf GTI was stolen it came off my cost centre.
AE
Guess what as of tomorrow !

You need a good office manager PU ......
as well as
purchasing a decent "pool car" ( a new Honda Civic 3 years ago) as I
have to comply with H&S legislation as regards a safe work place. I also at
great cost insure him and others to drive this car. He then damages my car

So why have you got them the pool car? Is it a treat for them? Something for them to use on their lunch break to pop and get their smoked salmon rolls? Did you get it for them to go and pick their elderly mother up and take her shopping after work, or even better during work?

No? I thought not, it is their to make their work time more efficient so you can maximise the profit from them.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - ole cruiser
A bit of sympathy called for here, chaps? A former colleague of my wife's had a Porsche as a company car (I know, those were the days). It came up to 3 years old and he was "entitled" to a new one. His wife went to collect the new one and drove it home. She backed the new one into the old one on the drive! That was an expensive bang.
I imagine that in that case both cars were on the same insurance. In the case of the OP's friend the situation is a bit (but not much?) different. I don't really think he's got that much choice. He's got to tell his own insurance company about the incident. He's got to tell them that he knows who did it. They will want their costs back from the insurer of the office car. And I suppose they will put his (personal) premium up too. Pretty bad luck.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Peter S
Looking at it from a slghtly different angle, what if the chap had reversed the pool car into PU's car... A claim on the company insurance I expect ;-)

Peter
I suspect he'd be licking the car park clean for a month if he'd done that.........

;-)
Me or him ? Going now got a turnip to wrap.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - DavidHM
Technically the insurer could recover its losses from the person whose negligence caused the claim, i.e., the driver (Lister -v- Romford Ice & Cold Storage Co. Ltd [1957]).

This may or may not happen but if the driver does make a claim off his work insurance the insurance company can simply sue him to recover its payout (or more likely refuse to pay on the basis either of 100% contributory negligence and/or set off the value of the two claims against each other).

Perhaps it's a fatalistic view but if I did something like that I'd be claiming off my own insurance if only my own vehicle were damaged to avoid hassle, knowing that the outcome could be the same even if I did claim in work. If the work vehicle were damaged sufficiently to justify a claim on the comprehensive element I'd put the claim in through work and then hope for the best with my own vehicle as there would be no alternative insurance in place.
Perhaps it's a fatalistic view but if I did something like that I'd be claiming
off my own insurance if only my own vehicle were damaged to avoid hassle knowing
that the outcome could be the same even if I did claim in work. If
the work vehicle were damaged sufficiently to justify a claim on the comprehensive element I'd
put the claim in through work and then hope for the best with my own
vehicle as there would be no alternative insurance in place.

And your own insurance would tell you to go jump. Why should they pay out for someone else's policy? Quite apart from the fact it could be seen by them as you committing insurance fraud!
Me or him ? Going now got a turnip to wrap.

Is that for the family or the workers?
I give up - difficult to wrap !
you planned to wrap it?

PU you are getting soft in your old age

Edited by Webmaster on 16/12/2008 at 00:22

Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - yorkiebar
A lot of fuss over nothing?

If guy had driven the car into anything else it would be a straight forward claim via the company insurance.

The only difference is that he has driven into his own property. Substitute that for another company car? Same argument.

As for claiming off the employee I would hope that he then claims for all the overtime and additional work he has done for you ! Had he completed a full working day, or more etc?

And people wonder why management is hated ?

Hope he would take time off for stress too if that was the case, before he put in for the constructive dismissal and stress claims !

Hes a prat, but hes insured. :)
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - NowWheels
Sorry to join pile-in on PU, but from the info available I think that this is a matter for the company insurance, for the reasons stated: the driver was using the car in the course of his work, and had a mishap while acting as agent of the company. People can be distracted or preoccupied, and a lot of accidents happen that way; other are caused by a momentary misjudgement. People should take care to avoid either of those, but it sometimes does happen to even the best drivers and it's often just luck that it doesn't result in a crash.

Where it might become interesting, though, is if we examine the possibilities of negligence or deliberate damage.

It seems to me that if the damage was a result of a deliberate in an attempt to get a paid-for repair to an already-damaged car owned by the employer, then we would be looking both at gross misconduct (possibly justifying instant dismissal) and also at possible fraud, justifying a call to Mr Plod.

On the other hand, if it's negligence, then there's the question of how much negligence would change the picture. To take the extreme case, into the territory of recklessness, if the employee could be proven to have entered the carpark at speed, done a rapid turn and not checked his mirrors before reversing at excessive speed while talking on his hand-held mobile and scratching his crotch wit the other hand, you could probably count that as being into the territory of recklessness. I dunno at what stage on the scale from negligence to gross negligence to recklessness an employer would have grounds for taking disciplinary action or steps to recover his losses, but I guess that it would probably have to be quite a way along the scale unless the employee's contract made both placed special restrictions on vehicle use and took reasonable measures to assess and/or train its staff as drivers.
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - BobbyG
I wish I had stayed in the pub longer on Sat night now to try and waited for the outcome!

I would love to wind things up more by saying that the reason he bumped the car was due to him taking a phone call from his boss who refuses to put in hands free kits to the cars..... but then I would be just making that up to wind up PU even more!!

Seriously, like some of the above, I cannot see how he could claim off his own insurance unless he falsely claimed ie. returned to his car and found a big dent in it whilst it was parked somewhere without cameras etc etc.

I feel it should be treated like any other employee accident, but I am sure his manager will just have a wee feeling of doubt that it was an accident at all!
Well our pool car has a hands free ! (Saying no more as my elastic has unwound once more)
Claim dilemma - work vs personal insurance - Manatee
I now have a vision I can't shift of PU as Bradley Hardacre and his hypothetical accident-prone employee as George Fairchild...
More Mr Grimsdale to Norman Wisdom. Bit smaller in build than Mr West.
Why give them a handsfree? We purposely made sure no sales staff cars or any of the multi drop van drivers had hands free kits in the vehicles. My policy for them was to ignore the phones whilst driving and just check them every drop etc. I even quite happily advocated turning the phones off and only turning them on every 30-60 minutes to check for messages! May not fit with every business profile but worked for us and made sure we kept well out of trouble!!

Thinking about it, at the time there were only 2 vehicles allowed to have handsfree kits fitted, one was my car and the other was my bosses!!!!
>>then we would be looking both at gross misconduct (possibly justifying instant
>>dismissal) and also at possible fraud, justifying a call to Mr Plod.

The latter would require suspension on full pay for the six months it took for

1) internal investigation
2) police investigation
3) prosecution.