Pinto/sierra - Win
I am thinks of building a kit car (Robin) and Iam try to make my mind up between a 2.0cc injection or the webbers. Which is going to give the most power out put? or the really going to be that much of a difference and what about the hassel of the electric engine management system? is it worth the bother. What is the bhp of these engines?

Thanks Win
Pinto/sierra - jc
You would probably do better to get it on the road with the std. engine ie. downdraught Weber and distributor and then change to DCOE's +distibutor.Injection systems,high pressure pumps etc. cause manufacturers enough problems.
Pinto/sierra - Andrew Hamilton
Agree what you want is a reliable motor. Where are you getting the engine from? Not one of those Exchange and Mart offers! Best to invest the spare cash in decent electrics and speaker system!
Pinto/sierra - Win
Thanks for the message, however what is a DCOE's
Pinto/sierra - jc
DCOE are sidedraught webers but Delorto sidedraughts are probably better.
Pinto/sierra - IKR
There are pros & cons for either option....

The original spec injection will give you a nice smooth idle and 40 mpg. Installation will be more difficult, because you'll need a surge pot on the fuel tank, high pressure fuel pump, feed and return fuel lines. Physically, the ford FI equipment won't go under the bonnet of a Robin hood (so I've heard), but it can be modified. Your options for upgrading the system in future will be very limited, unless you replace the entire fuel injection system.

With twin Weber DCOEs you get more power at high revs (20 BHP extra on an otherwise standard 2L Pinto), a slightly rough idle, 30 mpg, and a nice noise from the induction system. Use either a modified distributor, or the ford mapped ignition system for the sparks. You only need a low pressure fuel pump, 1 fuel line, no surge pot. The car will need setting up on a rolling road once registered. Upgrade potential is virtually unlimited - by swapping the jets in the carb and the cam, 175 HP is achieveable at moderate expense, which gives you a 0-60 time of 5-6 seconds in such a lightweight car.

I don't know if you've already been there, but look at the Robin hood owners club website (www.rhocar.org.uk) for further info.

Ian
Westfield with 2L Pinto engine!
Pinto/sierra - Harrybob

I know this is an old message but hopefully youre still involved.....

I have just bought a part built tiger cat kit with 2l pinto engine, i also have twin weber dcoes, i was wondering what you thoughts were on the standard mechanical fuel pump? i have been told i should upgrade to an electric one and was recommended a Facet Silver top to get the best out of the engine. Thoughts? What do you use?

Also if you you switch to an electric fuel pump do you need to ad some kind of impact switch to cut the pump out if you have a smash? or this unnecessary ?

Pinto/sierra - jc2

The mechanical pump has plenty of capacity.

Pinto/sierra - Flat in Fifth
Sorry Win, but why use this engine?

Its not at all efficient in relation to its output versus weight.

Prev rally car had this engine and its a bitch IMHO, but it was what was homologated. Am I glad to see the back of that one.
Having said that the none injected one with the Weber kit sounds a lot nicer.

There must be nicer Ford engines to use than the Pinto derivative, even if you use a tuned pushrod engine. Sorry to be negative.

(Mark, copied across as req'd, your wish is my command)
Pinto/sierra - Richard Hall
Early, non catalyst 2.0 Zetec can be fitted with twin Webers and a converter plate to bolt it to the 5 speed Sierra box. This is probably the best option, but can get a bit expensive, and the only cars to have this engine were K reg Mondeos. It has to be a non-cat engine as the SVA emissions test is based on the age of the engine. There's a company somewhere which fits Zetec heads onto 1.6 / 1.8 CVH blocks with good results (doesn't sound as though it should work, but apparently the Zetec used a modified CVH block with a new head casting). Presumably this gets around SVA as the age is worked out from the engine number, which is on the block. Or perhaps use the twin cam 2.0 from late Sierras. The single cam Pinto is not the best engine Ford ever made, and when you start tuning them, engine life gets exponentially shorter as the power increases. Or as FiF suggests, a tuned Kent crossflow, bored to 1700cc and fitted with a high lift cam and other bits, might give you the most BHP per pound spent, and reasonably durable with it.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com