Small lorry test - David Horn
My dad's broken his heel and won't be able to drive for some time. Since we breed horses this puts a bit of a crimp in plans for taking my sister to events and delivering and collecting horses, for example. I'm 21 and have been driving for over 4 years now, which I assume means I can take the test to get up to 7.5 tonne entitlement on my license.

Does anyone know roughly how much work is required in order to pass? Is a prolonged course of lessons needed and is the test very strict, or will I be OK after spending several hours driving around with my dad giving instruction, bearing in mind that cost is likely to be an issue. Can the test be taken in our lorry or will we need to hire one from a training school? I should say here that I'm more than capable of driving large and heavy vehicles on farms, but the biggest thing I've taken on main roads is a long wheelbase Transit...

Cheers,

David.
Small lorry test - TimOrridge
You can take test in your own lorry provided you have adequate insurance.

You will also need a medical, and another theory test

More info i loogled and this link came up

Total points: 138 (Level 1)
Points earned this week:
--% Best answer

george d
/my/login?.pd=c%3d1MKJL2Wp2e6fd5g2kpFG6jM-&.intl=uk&.src=knowsrch&.don
e=http%3A%2F%2Fuk.answers.yahoo.com%2Fquestion%2Findex%3Fqid%3D2007061
1105418AAdGEjZ
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

If you passed car test before 1990 you can drive vehicles UP to 7.5 tonnes. BUT you must use a TACHOGRAPH chart to record ALL driving ,rest and other work.(Trucks registered in 2007 are fitted with a DIGITAL tacho so you need to obtain a Digi Card from DVLA - cost £38 for 5 years. No more than 4 1/2 hours driving without a break of 45 mins. max driving day of 9 hours & working day of 13 hours. Also the Working Time Directive comes into effect so if you have another job you are restricted to the amount of driving you can do.

Small lorry test - Sofa Spud
If you're going to take an LGV test, why not go for the class C, which will enable you to drive any rigid (non-articulated) vehicle up to a 32 ton 8-wheeler. It might be more expensive and the course/test might be longer - I don't know, but it's worth a thought. Then you will have a higher qualification under your belt that might be useful one day.