I Have A Question - Volume 165 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 166 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 165. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Tumble dryer ~ dryness sensor or not? - L'escargot
We're on the verge of ordering a condenser tumble dryer but can't decide whether dryness sensor control is important. What do you think? Price difference is not an issue.
--
L\'escargot.
Tumble dryer ~ dryness sensor or not? - Round The Bend
We've just purchased a new condenser tumbler. Pretty sure our has got one of these. Assume the dryness sensor saves power - stops when ready.

After much consideration, we went for a Bosch. Very pleased so far .............
_______
IanS
Tumble dryer ~ dryness sensor or not? - Chips with everything
We've a tumble dryer with a moisture sensor and not only does it save power compared to a 'normal' one, it stops the clothes shrinking (so much!).

Letter sorting machines at Royal Mail - L'escargot
Does Royal Mail have machines which can read hand written postcodes, or does the postcode first have to be manually converted into a sort of barcode which is then printed onto the envelope?
--
L\'escargot.
Letter sorting machines at Royal Mail - SjB {P}
Postcodes are machine read using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) technology, though how they read my doctor's writing goodness only knows.

Here's an insight in to how to write an address in South Africa (I found nothing for the UK from a quick Google) if you want a high chance of delivery accuracy: www.sapo.co.za/BulkMailGuide/pages/dls/structures....m

You will also find Wikipedia has something on the subject, including that some countries require use of preprinted envelopes with boxes in which to write the postcode to raise the chance of the machine finding it correctly and reading it correctly.
Letter sorting machines at Royal Mail - henry k
..... including that some countries require use of preprinted envelopes with boxes in
which to write the postcode to raise the chance of the machine finding it correctly and reading it correctly.

Some companies are helping the process with preprinted envelopes . I know this is not new.

I have just received a CD and a DVD from Hong Kong.
They were in a bubble wrap type envelope but had the postage on one side and the customs form on the back, all preprinted.
Then they added a sticky address label on the front but with the "intrinsic value" included to complete the customs details.
I have not seen these preprinted padded envelopes before.
Christmas quiz - A question too far?? - pmh
The due date has now passed for entries but I have 2 questions still outstanding without answers. Purely for satisfaction (and not competitive reasons) can any body answer the following 2 questions:

3d add the missing term in this sequence
4-20, 16-27, 9-30, 12-16, ______ , ______

10 Where will you find 23 people, 2items of furniture and a pair of glasses?

For anybody who is interested in wasting away a significant prportion of remaining life and grey cells look at

www.warwickschool.org/pdfs/christmas06.pdf

I will post a link to answers when available.

--

pmh (was peter)

Christmas quiz - A question too far?? - drbe
10 wouldn't be a football match, would it?

22 players, 1 referee, 2 sets of goalposts and a pair of glasses for the ref?
Christmas quiz - A question too far?? - adverse camber
and 3d looks like the bus timetable to our village. Its a trick question, there are no more buses after that.
Christmas quiz - A question too far?? - drbe
Well we (the family) enjoyed the quiz.

I would certainly be interested in seeing the answers, when they are available.
Tough Decision - Paul Robinson
I wonder if any backroomers have experience that they could share to help me with a tough decision? Our children have now graduated, are independent and settled on career paths, it is unlikely that either of them will have children for a number of years.. We sold our home last year and are currently in rented accommodation. My wife was fighting a losing battle as a teacher and left her job at Christmas. I do most of my work online and could work anywhere with an Internet connection , telephone and postal service.

I would like to take the opportunity to go abroad for sometime ideally Spain, however we have always lived within a few miles of my mother in law who is now 80 and although living very independently with generally good health, she is deaf and has poor sight. My wife has a sister who also lives within a few miles of MIL and has no plans to leave the area, but my wife is the favoured daughter and my wife is battling very hard that we should stay very local.

I feel that if we do not go abroad now, a similar opportunity may never arise again, so I need advice!
Tough Decision - Dulwich Estate
Go, go go - don't hesitate.
Tough Decision - deepwith
Go - think how good it will be for mother-in-law to spend the winter in the warmth of Spain, and the savings in heating etc at home - she could even rent out her place to pay the fare! Then the sisters will also really share the care!
Tough Decision - bintang
If you want strongly to go, you will probably regret not doing so. However, some friends were delighted to move to Spain a year ago. Now they are leaving "this hellhole" in favour of South Africa. They said most Brits they encountered in Spain were either golf fanatics or alcoholics. Office hours on the beach may become compulsory.
Tough Decision - Mapmaker
Put your stuff into storage, and go to Spain for 6 months. Doddle. Some further thoughts (and don't be offended by '4' - I don't know you).

1. What is the position nowadays with British pensions and those resident abroad (Spain is in the EU).

2. Do you speak Spanish? If not, what about one of our former colonies. South Africa, New Zealand, Canada?

3. Do you *really* want to live on the Costa del Sol and welcome thousands of drink sozzled Brits every summer?

4. Separate from your wife. Your children are adult; you seem to want very different things.

Tough Decision - PoloGirl
A little female perspective on this if I may...

You may not think it's too much of a hardship to leave mother in law miles away, but she is your wife's mother, and although you say she's in good health, 80 is a ripe old age and, at the risk of being harsh, she's clearly not going to be around for much longer. If you go now, your wife may resent you for making her move so far away and not being there if/when her mother needed her, or for missing out on the last few years of her life. Would it be such a hardship to wait, and move in a few years' time?

Also, reading between the lines, your wife sounds like she's just gone through one lot of upheaval - perhaps more is not what's needed at the moment.

You say you sold your house last year and moved into rented accomodation (sounds a strange thing to do through the eyes of someone desperate to get on the property ladder, but that's by the by...). Do you have the means to buy a small place in each country and perhaps spend six months of the year in each place for a while, and perhaps make a more permanent decision further down the line? You never know, you might hate living in Spain if you try it....

Tough Decision - rtj70
My opinion is exactly the same as Polo Girl. Buy in both countries. Renting when you have the money to buy not wise especially with average house prices in UK rising nearly 10% last year apparently.

If you're not ready to move (your beloved might not yet) then rent the one overseas for part of the year to bring in some income. Just pick the right place.

Personally I'd go for somewhere in Italy.
Thanks for your comments so far. I think the first paragraph of PoloGirl's entry is closest to the heart of the matter. The trouble is the retirement apartments where MIL lives is stuffed with spritely old women in their late 80s and early 90s, as my doctors seem to think I'm a heart attack waiting to happen without some 'lifestyle' changes, I could be dead before MIL is! Can you understand why I'm finding this so tough?
Tough Decision - PoloGirl
There's lifestyle changes, and there's upping sticks and moving to somewhere you might not even like and upsetting your wife though, isn't there?

I agree it's a tough one.

Thought of another thing... you say you do most of your work online. Who's to say that you wont still be just as stressed if you move to Spain, because you'll be doing exactly the same work, just with a different view from the window?

Are there changes you could make here and now, which would benefit you, without the big move? Countrywalking.co.uk should offer some inspiration? You sound like you could do with a good hill climb to put things into perspective.

Or take heart from the Bisto advert and finish early one day a week? :)

Tough Decision - No FM2R
Living abroad is not necessarily as easy as people think. That's not to say that it is not a good thing, and indeed I have done it for years and loved it, but its not straight forward. - some random thoughts.........

Firstly there is a huge difference between visiting somewhere, even for a long period of time, and living there. On a holiday that bar and all the new people who have become your best friends may well last for two weeks, it can quickly fade, or simply never appear, if you live there.

A forgeign language makes it even more difficult. Imagine going to the doctor to describe some slightly embarassing issue that you have, and then having to do it in sign language ! It is really not funny. Even getting the television repaired can be a challenge.

Then there is your social life. Remember, you might feel like you're on holiday but the people you're surrounded by are probably working. What do you normally do for your social life in the UK, how will that hang together abroad ?

Have you always lived in a similar area ? Do you often bump into friends/acquaintances or places with memories ? How will you feel without that ?

I know we're all fully aware of this country's issues and long to move away from all the problems. Including that bitter, yet boring, phrase "rip-off Britain". I have been in many countries, I have yet to be in one without issues - and normally frustrating, irritating and ridiculous issues at that.

On the other hand learning another language is excellent, experiencing another country is also brilliant, so there's lots going for it.

Other countries can be less annoying. Part of what makes the UK and its inhabitants frequently annoying is that it smy country and my compatriots. Living abroad its all so much less annoying when the idiots are foreign. And your own idiots are too far away to annoy you.

How can this opportunity not arise again ? If you work from a computer, is that likely to change ?

At some point your MIL will die. How will your wife feel having missed so much of her later years ? Are you sure you can do that to her ? These are nto years that can be lived at another time, once gone they're gone. How would you react if it was your mother ? And even if you convince, batter, persuade your wife into going, she will stil lhave those feelings.

Its a difficult situation however for me it comes down to this;

To live and work abroad is a great opportunity. I would significantly enjoy it, grow through it and be happier. Would that be sufficient for me to take my wife away from her Mother towards the end of her life ?? Well for me it would not. My wife's happiness is more important to me than mine. You have to make your own call.
Tough Decision - Dulwich Estate
My first response (go,go, go - don't hesitate) was a knee jerk reaction - I still stand by it. The reason I have a firm mind on this type of difficulty and heavens I do sympathise with your postion is: in about 1950, a few years before I was born my dad had the offer to emigrate across the Atlantic from the UK. He and his wife were all packed and ready to go when his MIL made a bit of a fuss about losing her daughter etc.etc.. They didn't go, my father bitterly regretted it for 55 years until he died, and he never had a good word for his MIL since 1950. They rarely spoke and on the occasions of her visits to us the atmosphere was....well, you can imagine.

Call me a selfish male, but I can see his point entirely and pledged to myself if ever I was put in a similar position I would look after No.1.

Two homes near good transport connections is not a bad idea if you can't make the big decision.

By the way, I don't see the attraction of Spain either. There's plenty better places I think.
Tough Decision - Happy Blue!
I would reiterate the idea of two small pads. One near MiL and one in the sun, say no more than a three hour flight away and with enough space for the family to visit, so they don't feel angry that you have dumped a potential problem on them - they and/or MiL can come out for a change of scenery virtually FOC and you can feel virtuous about it all.

Don't go the southern Spain - to over developed. Why not inland or on east coast of Spain, or Sardinia/Corsica, or between Marseilles and Nice?

Whatever you do, do it before you regret it. I know that my father really regrets not emigrating to the USA when I was 14 and he could have sold his company for £millions. My mother was worried about my education. I don't think she sould have worried!

I now have a holiday home in Israel about one minute from the sea. We go for a total of ten weeks a year and its the best thing I gave done (expect marrying SWMBO of course!). If the children were older, I would go more often, but my parents and MiL also get to use it, so we all benefit and I feel not so stressed that I can't leave the UK because of parental/educational/business reasons.

Good Luck!
Tough Decision - Mike H
I agree, a toughie. My wife and I are seriously considering moving abroad for a good proportion of the year in a few years time when we retire. We've tossed the idea around for a long time, but the thought that we keep coming back to is that there will always be a family reason not to go. For example, my wife's aunt was a very spritely 85, but was also her only living relative, and wouldn't even have contemplated leaving the UK to visit us. She became ill early this year , and after a few apparently unrelated ups and downs died in early October. Had we not been in the UK, we would have forever regretted not being around. This time last year she was fit as a fiddle, even running for buses, and looked set for a long life.

Then there are my parents, who are in their seventies, so now I'm thinking about them if we go. They'd be more than happy to visit us, but my father has been getting breathless recently after years of hard manual work and smoking. I'd certainly miss not being around as much as I liked if he got worse.

And my son is 19 and in his second year at university. Hopefully he won't get married for a few years, but then possible grandchildren will hold us back....

And so it goes on. There will always be something to consider. The two homes is not a bad idea, also what about the possibility of taking MiL with you?

Tough Decision - M.M
Paul,

This isn't about moving abroad is it!

You know your wish to go to Spain is probably the visible alarm bell flagging some changes are in order. But don't go to Spain though because the chances are you will carry just as much stress with you by leaving the children and elderly family behind... however settled they all look at this moment.

Also if the good lady has only just given up her job perhaps she needs to let her thoughts settle before striking out in a new direction.

And if you are considering this as some sort of early retirement make sure if you wish to stay a *team* it is a genuine team decision with neither giving into the other for an easy life. Now is the time for both to be fiercly honest to avoid even more stress later on.

I have great experience of your circumstance but cannot say any more here!

Good luck.

David W
Thank you David, I have added my email address to my profile for a couple of days if that helps you to say any more!

Regards

Paul
Tough Decision - M.M
Paul,

Address noted if you want to take it off again. Reply on its way.

David
New Zealand - where to go ? - Pezzer
I am due in NZ for three weeks in early Feb with the Family (swmbo & 2 boys) to attend a wedding. We are starting in Taupo for the wedding but after that have a fairly blank itinerary. I would be really interested in any ideas or recommendations of places to go and things to see.

Thanks in advance
P
New Zealand - where to go ? - henry k
Age of the boys may make a difference to your plan. Fantastic fantastic place.
How far do you want to go?
Well organised with small motels /accomodation everwhere.

Car hire was the most organised I have ever experienced.
I had one car hire contract but three cars for various parts of my trip
1. Aukland & around North Island to Wellington. Left the car at the airport and flew across the strait to South Island.
2. Car waiting at the terminal & around South Island to Greymouth. Left car at the station.
3. Took Tranz Alpine train to Christchurch. Car waiting along side train.
4. Left car at Christchurch airport.

I booked 1 & 2 as an auto and 4 as a manual. All this worked perfectly and no messing about with lots of paperwork each time.

www.google.co.nz/ Look things up from there.
To start with a taster in no specific order

www.tranzscenic.co.nz/
www.redboats.co.nz/home/?ac=RB1 The famous Milford Sound boat trip
www.cruisingms.co.nz/milford-sound-drive.htm
The Homer tunnel. when you stop beware the Kea parrots they will tear of your wiper blades etc.
www.naturespic.co.nz/NewZealand/image.asp?id=30497
www.travellink.co.nz/media/category.asp?UID=117 A whole day trip
www.glaciercountry.co.nz/ Two glaciers with easy access in normal clothes or helicopter trips
www.west-coast.co.nz/1040f.html Haast river & West coast
www.napier.govt.nz/ The best collection of art deco buildings in the world .
www.tobias-thierer.de/albums/nz06_summer/page_0524...l

www.bay-of-islands.co.nz/. 144 islands at top of north island. Maybe swim with dolphins.
www.whalewatch.co.nz/
IMO I think this is oversold. The sperm whale (s) dive for many minutes.
I flew out on two trips and took one photo.
www.penguins.co.nz/aveva.htm
I did not think it worth the tim eto watch the penguins from the grandstand. but I am used to Capetown for penguins
www.rotorua.nz.com/
www.arrowtown.org/

www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/ great fun for kids and parents
www.puzzlingworld.co.nz/attractions.html

Have a look at some of the big adverts in the newspapers NZ tour itineraries.
Do not forget about jet lag.

Further fun. The Kiwis invented
www.shotoverjet.com/
www.newzealandnz.co.nz/activities/zorbing.html

So some food for thought.
I think we have some local readers who may contribute.
New Zealand - where to go ? - Altea Ego
I would be really interested in any ideas or recommendations of places to go and things to see.

Yup - Fly to Sydney, and spend the rest of the time in Aus,

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New Zealand - where to go ? - Mapmaker
>>Yup - Fly to Sydney, and spend the rest of the time in Aus,

Many would disagree.
New Zealand - where to go ? - Citroënian {P}
Pezzer, we went to NZ in early Feb for a wedding - we started in Auckland but with some long evening drives managed to get to see a _whole_ lot of things there.

The post below yours is an excellent guide to what to do, but some of my highlights were (mainly in the south island)

Taupo has some great thermal baths, well worth checking out.

* Whale watching (& dolphins) at Kaikoura
* Flight from Wanaka to Milford & back
(over mountains right down the sound and then landing at the far end for a nice boat trip - saved a lot of driving and a long detour)
* Helicopter flight up the Fox Glacier with a quick pop over to see Mount Cook - amazing just above the clouds
* Kyakking in Abel Tasman, beautiful and quiet, not too challenging

www.doc.govt.nz/ is an excellent nz government site - worth checking out.

There's so much to do there, three weeks is tight, but with a bit of planning you can fit in an awful lot - we really enjoyed the south island.

I think a lot of this depends on the age of your boys and your intended budget - we went nuts, but then that was on the assumption that it would be a little tricky to go back there again!

If you're flying into/out of Auckland, Quantas (or was it Air New Zealand) do some very cheap tickets from Christchurch back up to Auckland on internal flights - cheaper than Easyjet - book them online yourself on their website. This makes it easy enough to do the south island.

It's a fabulous place full, with amazing scenery, great people and a nice sedate way of live. I absolutely loved it and wish I were going back in Feb!

Don't eat too many Eggs Benedict for breakfast (everywhere!), enjoy the flat white coffee and don't have too many handles of beer - and try the Monteith's summer ale, only available there in the summer and scrumptious - and try and find some food festivals, always a pleasant way to pass an afternoon in a park.

I could go on, and on, and on. But don't listen to TVM. He's clearly not got a clue or has got out of bed on the wrong side. Or prefers the more "fabulous" scene in Sidney - (did anyone see their new year celebrations? Diamonds are forever? They might as well have had a tribute to musical theatre with a cheese tasting... {runs}

:-)

-- You know, it\'s not like changing toothpaste
Oh and...

if you're near Wanaka, go to the Paradiso cinema - watch a movie from a selection of sofas, armchairs or a Morris minor : www.paradiso.net.nz/about_the_cinema.html

Those flights were from Air New Zealand - go to their .co.nz site, not the uk one; they're under web specials.

New Zealand - where to go ? - Altea Ego
Hey the beer is "slightly" less weeker in Aus than NZ.

No pom should seriously go to Aus at this time, not so soon after *that* humiliation,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
You're not wrong there TVM, I think Pom sledging will be the main pastime over there at the moment
New Zealand - where to go ? - PhilW
And it may well be in NZ as well after the one-dayers which are coming up!
--
Phil
New Zealand - where to go ? - Baskerville
Just use that rising intonation at the end of every sentence and they'll never know.
Some further info :-
www.christchurch.org.nz/
and for a view
www.gondola.co.nz/

The enormous Kauri trees.
I found this museuem facinating. The size of a plank from the trees 22.5m
I have a sample of swamp Kauri wood that is 44,500 years old. It is wood not a lump of stone.
www.kauri-museum.com/
Oamaru with it's Whitestone buildings if you like architecture.

If you fly out to see the whales at Kaikoura
This is the fixed wing co I went with. There is also a slower helicopter.
www.whales.co.nz/
www.whales.co.nz/gallery/index.htm for photos
I went swimming with dolphins but it was cold, in a wet suit, in late Nov. At the end of the snorkel session, back on board they poke a hosepipe of hot water down the back of the wet suit neck to warm you up.
Another word of warning
( Due to strict regulations I was not allowed to enter the water when on an earlier dolphin trip at the Bay of Islands near the top of North Island. If any young dolphins are with the pod the you stay on board the boat).
So keep that in mind to avoid disappointments.

Tepapa Museum Wellington
www.tepapa.govt.nz/Tepapa/
In awesome forces there is even an eartquake house.

If you like white bait? they go mad for the local version especially in the south west .
Do try whitebait fritters in sandwiches. ( a local delight) or whitebait omelette.

The only mainland breeding colony for any albatross species found in the southern hemisphere.
www.albatross.org.nz/colony.html I think you need activity at your time of visiting.
I have not been there.

I have no info on Auckland. We just bypassed it completely.
New Zealand - where to go ? - Pezzer
henry k and Citroenian , many many thanks this was just what I wanted - some advice based upon experience. I have been a bit like a kid in the sweetie shop where there is so much to see and do. Our plan is to drive around using the motels as I have already heard that they are reasonable. The boys are 6 and 10 so we need to be sensible about how much time is spent in the car and ensure that we are able to keep them occupied and dissipate their energy!

henry, how long was the Tranz Alpine rail journey, would it be suitable for kids ? Also do you remember who you used for car hire ?

P

www.tranzscenic.co.nz/services/tranzalpine.aspx
""Our train journey sets off from Christchurch - New Zealand's largest city on the South Island. The trip is 223.8 kilometres long and takes just four and a half hours. There are 16 tunnels, and 5 viaducts, the highest being the Staircase standing at 73 metres.""
It is very scenic in the mountains at the Greymouth end but pretty boring across the plain to Christchurch.
Check the timetable on the web site. One train each day.
Lots of photos at
www.tranzscenic.co.nz/imagegallery/imagegallery.as...x

Motels etc are friendly and good. Usually have a fridge, milk and cuppa tea facilities.

Re boys.
Dolphins gently swimming along side the boat etc at Bay of Islands was good. Nice and warm.
Puzzle place was great fun for us crinkleys ( recommended by by 20+ daughter)

Motels etc are friendly and good. Usually have a fridge, milk and cuppa tea facilities.

Short helicopter trip up onto the glacier was good. Land on top, walk a few yards plus photos.
Options e.g. routes and costs clearly shown. Board behind the shops in the main street.
"Children aged 12 years or younger fly for half price."
www.scenic-flights.co.nz/fox-franz-josef-glacier.h...l

IIRC there are three or so operators
www.glacierhelicopters.co.nz/
www.heli-flights.co.nz/

Museum in Wellington looked good.

We had a very wet day and by default to where it was dry we went to-
www.agrodome.co.nz/
www.agrodome.co.nz/SheepShow.htm - which was very good
photos
www.agrodome.co.nz/Photo.htm

IIRC I booked with Avis at the UK end.

It is very quiet and towns are quite small outside the cities.
Life stops at 5pm so feed up and fill up early. 24/7 - whats that? RELAX

Happy research

www.glowworm.co.nz/
If you wantto avoid NN coaches then be there at the start of the day.
We could not believe to mob when we emerged.

A few minutes away is
www.waitomo-museum.co.nz/newwebpages/isshed.htm
The free entrance rabbit shearing shed
Kiel Kraft Model Aircraft. - Petel
Can anyone please advise if these models are still produced and if so, where can they be obtained, either inside or outside the UK ?
Thank you
Kiel Kraft Model Aircraft. - henry k
I think they are loooong gone.
Google Kiel Kraft and there are not many hits.
Some light reading.
jetex.org/scripts/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=mjpbuilding;...8
Kiel Kraft Model Aircraft. - Stuartli
Some on e-Bay:

tinyurl.com/yg3zmo

Also:

tinyurl.com/yhhwc5

tinyurl.com/yhwzqm
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Who are the names in management theory? - PoloGirl
I'm writing something that includes some mention of participative and authoritarian organisational cultures, and need a bit more information to beef it up / make it look like I've done more reading than I actually have (this all sounds dangerously like me three years ago when I was on here instead of writing my disertation, and believe me it feels the same).

As management theory isn't something I've really studied in depth before, I don't know the names to look for, apart from Johnson and Scholes and I've cited them to death. When I put search terms into Questia I get a huge long list of books and journals and don't know who are the big guns that I should be looking out for.

Anyone like to chuck a few names this way please? It's due in tomorrow afternoon so no rush ;)

Thank you!

Who are the names in management theory? - Altea Ego
Tom Peters
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Who are the names in management theory? - Stuartli
Is this the type of thing you require?

www.soi.org/reading/change/branches.shtml

tinyurl.com/ympdmy

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=653

www.westernchanfellowship.org/fileadmin/user_uploa...t

www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2...x

tinyurl.com/ylgfhe

If not, sorry.

Looks to be a high fascinating subject...:-(

Who are the names in management theory? - Baskerville
Mosca and Pareto.
Who are the names in management theory? - Stuartli
The end of this first main paragraph (about Robert Michels) reminds me of a certain current PM:

www.spunk.org/texts/places/germany/sp000711.txt
Who are the names in management theory? - Xileno {P}
Earl.
Who are the names in management theory? - artful dodger {P}
PG you really should include Drucker as he was one of the earliest publishing IIRC in the 60's. Many of his ideas still apply today.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Who are the names in management theory? - cheddar
Robert Heller / Edward De Bono
Budget Camcorder - johnny
Does anyone have any recommendations for an entry level camcorder ( under 250 pounds ) - my 11 year old will be using it too, so it needs to be fairly foolproof to operate as well as sturdy. I assume they can all be used for stills, as he likes doing stop frame animations?
Budget Camcorder - scotty
I know little or nothing about camcorders but I remembered the Gadget Show doing something about budget camcorders recently. They came up with the Sony DCR HC24E for about £170.

Les
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - L'escargot
We still haven't made up our minds about which condenser tumble dryer to get. We'd nearly settled on a Hotpoint CTD80 but then read a review that it causes a lot of condensation in the room. I can quite believe this because the door doesn't seal.

Is this a drawback with all condenser dryers? Does yours cause condensation in the room?
--
L\'escargot.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - nick
I have a Bosch condenser dryer and it has caused no condensation. I've had a few problems over the 5 or so years I've had it. The connection between the timer knob and the timer inside has broken twice but you can get the bit from someone other than Bosch and do it yourself. It also needs the condenser itself cleaned very regularly which is a messy job, otherwise the heating elements trip out which entails removing the back. Not mentioned in the handbook either. I don't know whether all condenser dryers need this regular cleaning, if they do, I'll go back to a vented one next time. Otherwise, I'll buy Miele next time.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - L'escargot
I have a Bosch condenser dryer and it has caused no
condensation.

Does the door have a seal?
Is this the feature that makes the difference or don't any condenser dryer doors have a seal?
--
L\'escargot.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - adverse camber
Nick - please, please, pretty please - where do you get that bit ?

I have a bosch and have been banging my head again a brick wall trying to get the plastic ratchetty thing that the knob attaches to. Bosch have sold me the knob, the linkage and now deny that the damn thing exists. - although they say it might if I spend £100 on a new panel.

They have made it an absolute certainty that I never buy a bosch appliance again. Miele next time.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Chips with everything
Our Hotpoint (TDC62 - I think) only produces the steam room effect when drying bath towels.

It came into it's own when I redecorated and needed to strip the wallpaper!!
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - SjB {P}
I'd like to join in, please! Amazing timing... I have never owned a tumble dryer becuase I've considered them an ecologically unfriendly waste of money when we (yes, we!) can simply hang washing up to dry, but with the arrival of the twins and with this a dramatic increase in washing and ironing, the missus has made a plea to reconsider.

If it wasn't for the babies needing my attention, I would have asked exactly the same question last night! It's a condenser type that would be required because of location.

Cheers.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Round The Bend
Escargot, we had conversations with several salesmen, one of whom had a showroom full of Hotpoints, and they all suggested we should look anywhere rather than Hotpoint.

SjB, we would n't be without the tumbler. Yes, you can hang the washing out, but tricky when the weather is as wet as it has been the past month.
_______
IanS
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Cardew
This month's Which lists both types in the following order for reliability after 6 years.

AEG/Electrolux 98%
Meile 92%
Tricity Bendix 90%
White Knight 90%
Zanussi/Electrolux 90%
Bosch 88%
Creda 88%
Indesit 88%
Whirlpool 88%
Hotpoint 86%
Hoover 84%

It lists the Miele T234C Novotronic as the best buy for a condensing tumble dryer.

We have had a cheaper Bosch for 3 years without a problem.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - daveyjp
Our last dryer was a Whirlpool (IIRC). The door seal on it was useless and over time failed. This caused hot air to escape which in turn affected the plastic clip used to hold the door in place. This slowly warped resulting in the door not sutting properly so more team escaped than went through the condensor.

We got rid as it eventually caused other non replaceable plastic bits to warp.

We replaced this with a Zanussi which never worked properly so we took it back and paid a bit extra for a Bosch Classix condensor and it's excellent. Dries much quicker than our previous machine. The condensor can be cleaned quickly by removing it and running water through it.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - henry k
Our Hotpoint (TDC62 - I think) only produces the steam room effect when drying bath towels.

We put our towels in an old fasioned spin drier ( with it's built in pump).
Speeds up the drying process and we then pop them into a simple, small, cheap vented, 3Kg load tumble drier.
A cheap external condenser completes things.
This is obviously not very practical in a kitchen but works well for us.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - deepwith
SjB, you can still hang stuff out to dry if the weather is good - especially heavy items - but finish them off in the tumble drier. Having one will also dramatically reduce ironing. Having only had children one by one, I cannot imagine how your wife has coped without one!
Thanks for the advice to my 'parasitic' post. We are lucky to have a large house with large, warm, kitchen, so drying the increased washing hasn't been an issue despite the damp weather, and to my surprise, neither has been an increase in humid fug inside the house. It is the comment about ironing that is bang on the money, and also the time spent hanging up loads of fiddly items. The missus stopped her midwifery work when the babies arrived, and to be fair, even bonding aside it was a good job she did because of the time she spends on the latter two tasks! Seems only fair that I reconsider my stance and open the wallet.

On the strength of superb AEG fridge, freezer, and washing machine that are now approaching twelve years old without missing a beat, I'm not surprised to see this company at the top of the tree, even outdoing the strengths of Miele (whose products my parents have purchased since the early seventies and experienced the reliability that this name is famous for).

Cheers, All.

Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Big Bad Dave
SjB if your wife's doing multi washes every day, check out the tall models. We just bought an Ariston which has large storage capacity underneath pushing the porthole up to chest height. It makes a huge difference to the chore of loading and unloading (so I'm told). It has a big door too and takes 7 kilos. It's so quiet, you can't tell it's on and it's really funky-looking.
Thanks, BBD; will investigate.

To ask another question; given our excellent experience with AEG and their top ranking in the test, does anyone have experience of the AEG Lavamat Turbo (ha ha) 12830 washing machine / condenser tumble dryer? On a general note, does combining two jobs in one machine result in two compromised jobs?

Looking at prices, the differential is not a lot compared to buying a good pure condenser dryer, and a combined machine helps for two other reasons; firstly, I get to keep my dedicated beer and wine fridge without a walk across the driveway to the garage, and secondly, as written our AEG washing machine is now coming up to 12 years old and so despite 100% reliablity won't be in the flush of youth.notch
I had a whirlpool washer / dryer for seven years that I only lost in a divorce. Very happy with it. It's good if you don't have much space, but the thing about having two machines is you can get a production line going. I'd opt for two in your situation. Beer tastes better if you have to earn it.
>>youth.notch

eh? where did the "notch" come from?!
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Altea Ego
Do not buy a combined machine.

1/ The performance is compromised and they dont dry as well a dedicated machine
2/ Not flexible. Many a time Nicole has been washing AND drying at the same time. (ie first load is in dryer while second load is in machine - dont forget you dont wash all the clothes in the same wash)
3/ Complexity - A tumble dryer (even a condensor) is a fairly simple beast. A combined macine is not.

I have a Bosch Washing machine, never been apart tho suprisingly the paint on the front panels is peeling off and its going rusty. its 7 years old

The Creda condensor dryer blew its thermal cutouts 1 day after warranty expired, and I take it apart every year for a service. (they get hellishly fluffed up) Its now 6 years old.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - pmh
I will not buy any multi function devices. They all seem to involve unacceptable compromises and suffer from the part failure issue. If one part fails you end up throwing away some good bits!

Examples not to buy include
fridge/freezers - neither part is ever big enough
printer/scanner/fax - I have only ever seen problems, particularly with the telephone/fax answering on HP in particular
wash/dryers -

or any 'integrated' kitchen appliances (other than a gas hob, which actually is following my no multi function devices logic anyway).
integrated appliances cost more and quite often are part of package deal giveaways using 3rd rate kit!

If you buy recognised brands it is always easier to get spares at a reasonable price if you do all your own maintenance.
Based on personal experience, Bosch /Hotpoint seem a reasonable compromise on price/reliability. (At one time they came off the same production line, but I am not sure that is true any longer). That is the kiss of death, I expect everything will now start to fail

--

pmh (was peter)

Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - pmh
TVM are you my doppelganger? We posted the same philosophy at almost the same time, I had not seen your reply otherwise I would have not bothered with mine!
--

pmh (was peter)

Thanks, Guys. Seems my "does combining two jobs in one machine result in two compromised jobs?" was correct, and I have to earn my beer! (As will guests, who currently are able to open the fridge door and choose at will from the twenty or so different brands! :-)
"choose at will from the twenty or so different brands! :-)"

Yeah you're smiling now matey, just wait till it gives you gout!
"choose at will from the twenty or so different brands! :-)"
Yeah you're smiling now matey, just wait till it gives you
gout!

:-)

Seriously, I actually drink very little (fact) and can go several weeks without even one pint, but when I do have one, I like a choice, and I like to be able to offer a choice!
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Stuartli
We had a Zanussi washer/dryer from 1990 until 2003 which only suffered one minor fault at 14 months and was repaired by Zanussi at little cost (just outside warranty period). The machine cost £499.99.

However, I wouldn't buy a similar dual purpose appliance today as the general public still wants highly featured machines at pretty much the same price they paid 10 years or so ago.

Hence the arrival of a Miele washing machine to replace the Zanussi, whose bearings began to sound noisy. There was no point in replacing them in a 13-year-old machine.

The Miele cost the same price and has never missed a beat to date; it's virtually guaranteed a life span of up to 20 years or more depending on overall use.

Why did we not buy another Zanussi? Because of the reason mentioned above; most appliances at the lower end of the market these days are built to meet a shop price point .

You should be able to buy a condenser tumble dryer which can be directly connected to a drain.
SjB just to confirm your decision (I hope) not to go for a combined machine be aware that in most cases the wash load is larger than the drier load, meaning you have to remove some of the wash before drying. As your house is large, then the drier does not need necessarily to be with the washing machine. As it generates heat it is quite good in a conservatory, if you have one! Nearer the garden for hanging out too.
As said above, basically you are asking one machine (motor) to do two jobs thus lessening the life of both functions.
Thanks, deepwith.
I am indeed unlikely to go fo a combined machine, but those that I had looked at typically had 5-6kg wash and 2.5-3kg drying capacities.

Yes, we have a conservatory, and using it is an option that we discussed last night, but intention is to keep using it as the family room rather than as a second utility room. On even quite mild days it already gets very snug, and despite a bronzed roof, in the summer searingly-so (we learned quickly why it has a built in air conditioning system and thermostat, but with my ecological hat back on, so far have managed to use the room simply by opening all the windows. In fact, if the system works on the same principle as car air conditioning, I wouldn't be surprise if the refrigerant has leaked out as the seals will be dry by now through total lack of use!)
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - cheddar
L'esc / SJB,

Dont rule out a combined unit.

TVM / pmh,

I used to subscribe to that theory though when we had twins 13 years ago we did not have the space for seperates and bought a Ariston washer dryer which was excellent for 9 years until it was replaced by another Ariston washer dryer 4 years ago, at this point we had space for seperates however we had another unit put in our utilty room where the dryer would otherwise be.

Both were / are condensor, neither steamed up the room etc, the latter offers "A" class wash programmes, yes there are a couple of compromises, it takes a little longer to dry than a seperate dryer and you cannot dry quite as much as you can wash however these are all outweighed by the USP of a washer dryer, that you can put a load on to wash and come back to dry and ready to iron/put away/wear laundry - brilliant on occasions!
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - henry k
as written our AEG washing machine is now coming up to 12 years old and so despite 100% reliablity ....

Lucky you.
Just had the motor changed AGAIN on mine.

The first five years of aggro was " solved" with the comment "Oh they have now found out the main board does not like mains surges so the improved version should fix it"
That stopped it going into fast spin with a drum full of water.

Recently the pump started leaking - the impeller gland was the source. Nowt wrong with the motor but whole new unit was £75 - not impressed with that design .
I would not buy another one.
We have Indesit washer and drier. The drier has been problem free for the past five years and the washing machine has just had a problem with the main board. After three visits from engineers Indesit have just sent me a new machine and no charges - our machines are used hard, doing at least two loads a day and we did not take out the extended warranty - just put the money aside for replacement! Thank you Indesit.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Soupytwist
We've got one of these and it's great :

tinyurl.com/yff957

Be prepared for the jump in electricity bills you'll get if it's in frequent use.

In fact the combination of the tumble dryer, the boiler, a radiator and this :

tinyurl.com/y75o5a

means that our utility room can dry a whole load of washing at once!

--
Soupytwist !
and this :
tinyurl.com/y75o5a

We have used one for the past few years too, also aluminium, from Betterware or Kleeneze I think, though if so I see it's no longer listed on either of their websites. Cost about £15 and came witrh two sets of wall mounts so it can easily be used both inside and out without the use of tools. Good product, despite my scepticism when SWMBO ordered it.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Mike H
To answer your specific question, we have a Zanussi which doesn't cause any condensation whatsoever.

And it is a combioned washer/dryer which suits us - I can see many other posts suggesting avoiding them, but if you've only got room for one appliance then you have no choice!! The drying works perfectly well. The only other comment I can make is that we have had it repaired every year so I always ensure I have a current maintenance agreement.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Round The Bend
We had a Hoover combined which lasted for 12 years. It was replace by a Zanussi which lasted 4 years and was constant trouble (especially electrical). We've opted for separate machines since.

Man at John Lewis advised that a combined machine could not be expected to last more than 4/5 years (due to all the reasons outlined by TVM etal above) - however a "good brand" stand alone tumbler should last 12 years and some can do much more.
_______
IanS
sjb - your wife is ironing baby clothes? Why? I don't know if it's because we use a dryer year round, but one thing my wife wouldn't have considered doing during her last nine months of maternity leave was iron baby clothes.
sjb - your wife is ironing baby clothes?

Indeed so!
Why?
Same reason most people wear ironed shirts, but it's turning in to a full time job, hence the request for a TD.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Baskerville
Same reason most people wear ironed shirts,

You mean, so they look good in business meetings? Are you sure you're not putting too much pressure on these kids? At this age shouldn't they be starting on the shop floor learning a trade?
Get a TD asap - ironing of baby clothes should then become a thing of the past. She can then put her energy into more useful activities such as peeling grapes, or sticking sugar crystals together to make sugar lumps :-)
Don't listen to em SjB, ironing baby clothes is therapeutic.

We have a peasant who comes on Thursdays to do all of ours but I sometimes do my lads little clothes. They're so damned cute.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - helicopter
It pays to get a professional .....SWMBO used to do the ironing whilst watching the F1 on a Sunday so probably three hours work.

We have now found a lady who does ironing for us at £8 an hour , she will manage around 20 shirts or T shirts in that time , collects and delivers as well so she is worth every penny .

She is not an exploited East European but a very pleasant divorced middle aged UK lady who wants some pin money.

Because she is twice as fast and efficient at ironing as SWMBO who hates the job and also works full time I am happy to pay and the arrangement is beneficial to all .

Likewise I have found a cleaning lady - similar cost for a couple of hours a week.

This leaves SWMBO to do the things she enjoys and creates happiness and harmony in the helicopter household.
Choosing a condenser tumble dryer - Stuartli
>>creates happiness and harmony>>

You mean SWMBO doesn't like you using four letter words?

Such as dust, iron, cook and wash..:-)
I married 'for better, for worse' absolutely NO mention of ironing. Husband does anything he wants ironed, children learn, as soon as they are old enough to be safe, that if they want something ironed they do it themselves. This proved very useful for older son when he joined the army cadets and already knew how to iron! I no longer iron bedlinen since the arrival of tumble drier.
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some minster has been mouthing off at Ryanair and their boss re emissions - unacceptable face of capitalism etc. I would not care to work for Mr O'Leary but I don't mind using his flights! Question is this:-

If a full 737-800 flies from Stansted to Rome (say), that's 180 passengers, which emits more CO2 during the round trip?

The full aircraft or the 180 people in 60(?) cars driving to Rome and back plus the emissions from the ferry or Eurostar that they used to cross the Channel? I don't know the answer but my gut feeling is that the cars would emit more.
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Baskerville
I don't know the answer either, but one thing is for sure: the cars don't dump their emissions high up in the atmosphere, where their impact is apparently far greater.
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Stuartli
Doesn't seem to worry a certain T Blair on his endless flights around the globe...:-)
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Altea Ego
The problem is the reason for the flights.

The low cost airlines are generating traffic for no other reason than to generate traffic. They are taking people to places they really didnt need to go to, for no other reason than the fact its cheap to get there.

And dont use the "bringing air travel to the masses" argument - Its people like me who can afford to do it, just that we do it more frequently,

So yes, Ryan air has generated significant amounts of CO2 that under any other circumstances would not be there.

I mean would you really want to fly to Oslo where

"Sandefjord Torp airport is approximately 140 Km from Oslo There is no rail connection to the city. There is a bus service, operated by Torpexpressenfrom that is located outside the terminal building. Journey tiem is approximately 1hr 45 minutes; cost is 130 NOK. "

if it didnt only cost you a fiver?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Bromptonaut
The CO2 damage of "low cost" air travel is that it encourages optional trips.

The pax on the plane go because it's quick and perceived as cheap. If they had to take the time/cost/effort penalty of driving they would not go at all.
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - PhilW
"If they had to take the time/cost/effort penalty of driving they would not go at all. "
And if you "had to take the time/cost/effort penalty" of walking you wouldn't make most of the journeys you make nowadays by car.
Low cost car travel also encourages the optional trips. Would I bother going to the supermarket in town by bus? No, would have to do all shopping in the village. Would I bother going to watch rugby every Saturday if I had to walk or go by bus? No. Would I commute my 5 miles to work each day if I had to walk? (There is no bus service) No, I would have to buy a house nearer.
Your argument could be applied to almost any modern device and most of them produce CO2 (directly or indirectly). Why not all go to the cinema instead of us all watching individual TVs (remember the Pathé newsreels at the flicks before we all had TVs?). Perhaps we should all go down the pub to ask our IHAQ questions rather than using a computer?
So why pick on low cost airlines because "it's quick and perceived as cheap"?
Fifty years ago we would have been saying the same things about people going further afield for holidays in their cars rather than a quick day trip to Blackpool or Scarborough by bus or train. Cornwall was really exotic in those days!!

By the way - I have only ever been on a low-cost airline twice in my life, - once to Majorca for a short break and the plane was packed solid, and once to Edinburgh because it cost about a quarter the rail fare - and it was packed again.
--
Phil
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - Mapmaker
I am told that there was an article in the BMJ some years ago that proved that it was more ecologically friendly for three people to commute into a city by car than by bicycle, as the CO2 production from aerobic exercise was greater than that from the car.

This ignores, of course, the difference between 'current' carbon (Weetabix) and historical carbon (fossil fuels).

So it's all a load of tosh. Oh and how on earth did we manage fifty - or more - posts on a tumble drier??????
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - cheddar
A longhaul Boeing 747-400 will do around 90 mpg per passenger, Concorde did around 15 mpg per passenger, the same as a typical business jet, short haul 737's etc will be somewhere in the middle due to the larger proportion of the flight (compared to a 747) that is taxying, take off and climb-to-height.

So say a 737 does 35 to 45mpg per passenger, makes shorthaul business travel in the UK competitive with single occupancy cars.
CO2 emissions. Flying v Driving - 007

I blame cows.