DSG:Multitronic - Frogeye
I am about to replace my Pug 406Hdi and have decided on VAG 2.0 tdi engine as it seems the only modern diesel which is not common rail.
I would like an automatic but are faced with the above types, neither is the proven auto technology. I want a car that I can keep for years without major expense, hence not wanting another "common fail"
Are these new auto boes reliable. I hear of 7 plate clutches now being fitted to multitronics, does this cure the earlier problems they had? I do not want to be a guinea pig...again!!

John
DSG:Multitronic - colinh
VAG are changing to common rail for their smaller engines next year (larger ones already use it) - PD is too expensive to produce and there are problems with particle filters for forthcoming legislation, supposedly.

The alleged unreliabilty of the DSG boxes is a frequent topic here - try using the search function

p.s. I have a Golf 2.0TDI DSG so may be biased!

DSG:Multitronic - George Porge
Dropping PD, where have you had that from Colin? V6's have'nt got room for PD injectors between the banks of cylinders, hence common rail.
DSG:Multitronic - Altea Ego
Yup VW PD will all eventually be replaced by High pressure common rail designs

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DSG:Multitronic - colinh
Fairly widely reported:

"This is the basic concept behind the new 'second generation' of 'common rail' diesels engines that Volkswagen says it's developing in its own time."

"Volkswagen's Pumpe-Duse diesel technology, hailed as a revolutionary technology when it was introduced in 1998, will be abandoned when the company starts producing a new range of diesel engines in 2007."

"VW will be dumping its line of TDI diesels by 2007 and switching to a common-rail design for all of its oil-burners"

"In an effort to improve efficiency and emissions, Volkswagen Auto Group recently announced that it would be switching to common-rail turbo diesel technology, starting with a new wave of diesels beginning in 2007"
DSG:Multitronic - cjehuk
I hear of 7 plate
clutches now being fitted to multitronics, does this cure the earlier
problems they had?

Multitronic has no clutches at all, they have the option to pick 7 'ratios' for the sake of driver comfort that their car has gears. It doesn't. The gearbox is a continuously variable belt. Reliability issues have been resolved by changing the multitronic gearbox oil every 40k, Audi will not honour the warranty on a car that has not had this change done.
DSG:Multitronic - George Porge
PD to common rail, a backward step if you ask me... If it proves to be true.
DSG:Multitronic - Avant
A4 Avant 2.5 TDI with CVT - no problems in 33,000 miles. I (stupidly) replaced it with a Mercedes B200 CDI, also with CVT: nothing gone wrong so far but you need to try out any CVT or DSG car and make sure you can cope with the noise.

CVTs rev quite a lot on starting from rest and the Mercedes sounds just like a London taxi. I think VAG cars mostly have better soundproofing, byt check just the same.
DSG:Multitronic - ziggy
'fraid you can't beat a stick shift for mechanical simplicity, reliability, direct access to engine torque.

BTW I see on the Audi website that the new 170bhp TDI is described as 'common rail' whereas the
140bhp is not.

DSG:Multitronic - type's'
Could someone tell me why common rail is a backward step ?

I ask because I simply do not know.

Cheers
DSG:Multitronic - ziggy
Could someone tell me why common rail is a backward step

I don't think it is. Like anything if you have suffered bad experience you might like to
avoid.

PD system can reputedly generate more pressure but apparently it is not really
required (unless you want to use the fuel line to cut out 1 metre thick blocks ice to make
an igloo...)

DSG:Multitronic - daveyjp
The 170 is still PD technology, but uses a common rail Piezo in line injector as used on Audi's comon rail diesels. This engine has been tweeked to 250 PS by Audi.

From their website:

The ?pumpe-duse? or pump injector technology that is now synonymous with the four-cylinder Audi TDI engines has just been enhanced in the 2.0-litre unit by efficiency-boosting Piezo inline injectors adopted from the larger V6 and V8 TDI units. The end result made its debut at the 2006 International Auto Show in Geneva in the new A3 2.0-litre TDI quattro, featuring an increased output up from 140PS to 170PS, and an impressive peak torque figure of 350Nm available between 1,750 and 2,500rpm.