Loads in an estate car - ablandy
I wondered if anyone knew of any specific rules relating to loads in estate cars. My query is this: i need to take a load of kit to a customer, which all come in fairly large boxes. In my accord tourer, i can get two boxes side by side and two on top of each other. The weight of the boxes is quite low.
When i have loaded all the kit in, i will be unable to view anything out of rear windows,- back or side.

I know this is fine in a van, because they dont have side or rear windows, but is this legal in an estate?

Loads in an estate car - artful dodger {P}
Providing you have both door mirrors, then I believe it is legal. I hope so, I have done it many times.

Why do car advertisers show the load area completely filled?
Also the volume of the load area is to the roof lining.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Loads in an estate car - Chad.R
I sure someone will quote the correct piece of legislation but AFAIK only the front windscreen and side windows need to be clear.
Loads in an estate car - Cliff Pope
When I was stopped and questioned once for driving a LandRover full to the roof, the police verdict was it was legal even though it only had an interior mirror (blocked), because door/wing mirrors were not compulsory for its year (1961).
As I understand it for modern vehicles, they have to have outside mirrors as well as interior, so it doesn't matter if the whole inside is blocked.
I often use my estate full to the roof (and beyond, on the roof rack). Even when questioned once, they were only interested in how well the load was secured.

I think if you push it a stage further and have wardrobes etc sticking out of the back with the tailgate open, they have to be well secured, marked with a red flag if projecting more than a metre (?) and still show brake lights etc. That's no problem if they are on the bodywork, not the tailgate itself, but strictly speaking the numberplate should be still visible too.
Loads in an estate car - Dwight Van Driver
Reg 33 MV (Con & Use) Regs 1986

First used after 1.6 1978

One mirror externally on offside

one internally, unless not providing rear view,

one externally on the nearside unless adequate internal one is fitted.

Good to hear axle weights, espcially the rear will not be exceeded. Also remember load carried in such a manner as not to cause danger etc etc.

dvd

Loads in an estate car - johnny
Wasn't there some problem years ago with an advert for "Souped Up" Volvo estate, showing it completely packed with cans of soup. What sort of weight would that be ?
Loads in an estate car - Bromptonaut
Should be OK for weight and view, but have you a net or dog guard to stop the load obeying Newton under heavy braking?.

Even a few kg will do plenty of damage travelling at 20mph.
Loads in an estate car - bell boy
Yes make sure it cant come forward in an emergamcy brake situation (even a metal clothes horse behind the seats will spread the load).

you are insured for carrying goods in relation to your business?

in relation to the law as said n/s and o/s mirror are fine ............
to be honest if you can get into the habit of not using your interior mirror at all you will find that you can be more aware of your surroundings when driving and more alert to hazards because you have to keep moving your head.................................its what ive always done anyway after driving vans as preferrred transport in my yoof
Loads in an estate car - ablandy
thanks for all the input.

im quite happy driving on side mirrors only, have driven a couple of long wheel base transit type vans (one in central london for a day, which was quite fun...)

the insurance is fine, its part of our normal business, just more kit than usual, but not enough to justify getting hiring a van.

the accord seems to have a guard that can be raised with the rear seats down, will try that - good suggestion about the clothes horse!

its one of these things that i always you shouldnt do, but didnt know why. Its not something im keen on doing regularly, because i like to be able to see all the idiots that might want to try and crash into me! Thats Central london for you.

thanks again.

Loads in an estate car - Statistical outlier
If you're going to put up the nets, then couple each to the side of the car before you join them together. It makes the whole thing much easier and avoids the whole lot repeatedly attacking you. I've not explained it very well, but should be obvious when you're doing it.

G
Loads in an estate car - IanJohnson
There was a time when you only got the drivers side mirror as standard, passenger was an extra (Ford especially) unless you were buying an estate when you got both. Presumably for just this eventuality.

I would support Gordon's comment - allow yourself plenty of time to put the net up - it is a challenge!