Brooks' Gambit - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
I heard about this a few years ago, and a quick google search came up with the below. The question I have is: Who is Brook?

"Brooks' Gambit

This is a very useful technique for getting past quite a few cars at a mini or ordinary roundabout. There are two approach lanes to the roundabout, left lane for left turn, and right lane for other turns. Brooks' Gambit works when the main traffic is backed up in the lift lane to turn left, and the alternative turns, say right and straight on, are clear, as is the approach
to the roundabout for right turning. Basic London Driving technique would suggest that you come steaming down the right-hand lane, and execute a Cut-in to the left at the last possible moment. This is fine as far as it goes, but you can be delayed on the Cut-in.

What you do is to enter the roundabout as if to turn right, then in fact drive right round the roundabout taking the turn you wanted in the first place. The beauty of this is that, once you're on the roundabout, you have right of way. Your opponents, having seen this, may be a tad put out and attempt some sort of illegal block. Even though you're now in the right, you can lessen the risk of this by some pantomime of having made a mistake. You can, for example, drive around twice to give the impression of someone who is lost, or make a show of looking into your 'A to Z'."
Brooks' Gambit - Robin Reliant
I must admit, I've used that one myself.
Brooks' Gambit - blue_haddock
I use it quite often too
Brooks' Gambit - Adam {P}
Apart from possibly coming across as rude to the easily offended, what's wrong with doing it providing the tailback is simply on the road approaching the roundabout rather than all through your exit road?
--
Adam
Brooks' Gambit - Altea Ego
I have used the Brooks gambit
Brooks' Gambit - Andrew-T
>what's wrong with doing it?<

Nothing at all by the Highway Code, only basic courtesy of the road. The net effect of your delaying tactic is to make the left lane queue even longer. How would things work if everyone used this tactic, I wonder?
How would things work if everyone used this tactic, I wonder?

All use 'road hogs' would use the empty left hand lane!
It would spoil things if it caught on.

I think we ought to keep it a secret, not to be discussed outside the sacred portals of The Backroom.
Brooks' Gambit - AlastairW
I may well be talking out of my bottom here, but isnt there something in the highway code that says you shouldn't go all the way round a roundabout?
Brooks' Gambit - Clanger
I've used this technique

isnt there something in the highway code that says you shouldn't
go all the way round a roundabout?

On the contrary, Rule 162 mentions going "full circle" so we might assume that Brooks' gambit is encouraged.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Brooks' Gambit - No Do$h
been there, done that, stuck my fingers up at the incandescent coffin-dodger in the base-model jap hatchback.
Brooks' Gambit - Chuffer Dandridge
>>what's wrong with doing it?<<

Ask yourself how you would feel if you had sat in a traffic queue for ten minutes, only to have someone steam past you in the other lane and slot themselves into the queue in front of you, and add to your delay, then you might see whats wrong with it.

Brooks Gambit, and all the other queue dodging antics work fine for the queue dodger, but any time you save is added to the journey of those you pass. You pass ten cars, and save ten minutes, each of them have 1 minute added to their journey time.
Brooks Gambit, and all the other queue dodging antics work fine
for the queue dodger, but any time you save is added
to the journey of those you pass. You pass ten cars,
and save ten minutes, each of them have 1 minute added
to their journey time.

No one is forcing them to sit in the queue, why don't the follow me and save themselves sometime instead of sitting there getting angry?
Brooks' Gambit - drbe
> No one is forcing them to sit in the queue, why
don't the follow me and save themselves sometime instead of sitting
there getting angry?

In the good old days when the approaches to Heathrow were a lot busier than they are now, quite a few of us regulars approaching the Central Area from the Northern Perimeter Road (Eastern end) used to leave the perimeter road just before the black cabbies rest centre, go onto the A4 - Bath Road and into roundabout by the Police Station from the right, which gave us precedence on the roundabout and down to the tunnel.

I saw nothing wrong with that - either legally or morally.
Queuing (sp?) is inately British, and it really annoys me when someone (who clearly thinks he is more important than me) barges to the front of a queue like this. How would you like it if someone jumped in in front of you at the supermarket checkout, say?
If your using the supermarket as an example it would be like everyone standing in a long queue for the checkout and me following a checkout operator as she walks to open a new till.

Should i be polite and join the back of the long queue whilst a few people in front move over to the new till or should i say sod it and go straight to the new till and get served quicker myself?

I know which one i'd do and it doesn't involve queueing.....
Brooks' Gambit - Chuffer Dandridge
>>No one is forcing them to sit in the queue, why don't the >>follow me and save themselves sometime instead

Because if we all moved over to the other lane, you would still be behind us, and we would all end up circling the roundabout.

The failure in your logic is that you believe it is okay to jump the queue because you can.

And yes, if I was queuing in a supermarket, and a new checkout opened, I would wish the person(s) ahead of me in the queue to have first option to move to the new checkout, just as I would expect the persons behind me to extend the same courtesy to me.

I do accept that not everyone follows these principles. I don't get angry about though, their turn to wait will come!
But why when there is a perfectly legal and reasonable method available should we spend excess time waiting?

It's just too damn british of us.
Brooks' Gambit - SjB {P}
But why when there is a perfectly legal and reasonable method
available should we spend excess time waiting?
It's just too damn british of us.

Good manners.
Society is nothing without them.
Brooks' Gambit - madf
When I'm lost and don't know where to go, I just roatate on roundabouts until I know which way to go.
Stoke on Trent has lots of roundabouts.
:-)
Brook's Gambit is a perfectly acceptable way of IMPROVING traffic flows and reducing queues..which is a British way of doing things imo:-)

madf

Stoke on Trent has lots of roundabouts.

If you think Stoke is bad for roundabouts you want to try a trip down the A519 to telford!
Brooks' Gambit - Andrew-T
>a perfectly acceptable way of IMPROVING traffic flows and reducing queues<

But it doesn't, except for those who use it. For those in the left lane, flows and queues get worse - and for them it is not so acceptable.
Brooks' Gambit - Avant
If it's called Brooks' Gambit with the apostrophe after the 's', there must have been two people called Brook. If it was one, it would be Brook's: if (s)he was called Brooks, it would have been Brooks's.

I realise that doesn't answer the original question - I just felt like being pedantic. For those who say it doesn't matter, I think I've quoted the O-level examiner with an attempt at a sense of humour before in the forum: you had to punctuate the following -

Our Christmas turkey hadn't arrived, so we ate one of our friends.

Good - I feel better now. And I've used it too, quite often. The British are much too fond of queuing. If you were ever challenged, just say 'So sorry - I thought I had to go straight on and then discovered it was left - I wouldn't like to cut anybody up....'
Brooks' Gambit - Blue {P}
I must admit I use that tactic often if I really can't be bothered to queue, which is fairly often, although when I'm not in any sort of rush AND there's a good song on the radio I don't mind joining the queue.

What really narks me is the people who skip the queue by going in the right and then just barging into the left. I once formed a good rolling roadblock with the lady in the car behind me to stop someone doing that to us after we had waited, unfortunately she ran into the back of my car! Fortunately it was only my Fusion so it didn't matter. :-)

At the very least, we made the guy realise that there was NO WAY he was pushing in between us, we were obviously pretty determined! ;-)

Blue
Brooks' Gambit - Adam {P}
Another one I'll use in heavy traffic. There's quite a busy T-Junction when you want to turn right out of it. NOt made hard by cars coming from the left - just finding a gap bewteen the ones coming from the left and the right.

I'll turn left at the junction instead, turn around in a side street and carry on down the road (usually letting the frst car out from the T-Junction) and away I go. At least...oooooh - a minute saved.
--
Adam
I have to confess I am a road Jeckel and Hyde.

I will and have used "The Gambit attributed to Brooks" (hows that Avant?), on th eother hand I wont allow someone to slash donw the outside and rudely barge in as the person on the A3 found out when I quite coldly drove into their passenger door when they tried to force in (and kept driving till I had really mangled it).
Brooks' Gambit - Blue {P}
I like it RF! :-)

Two things I'm curious to know though.

1) What was the look on their face like?

2) WHat did the insurance companies say?

If I had an old car I'd LOVE to do that myself sometimes.

Blue
1/ It went from shock to bewildered, to downright anger. Mine alternated between utter indifference and barely disguised humour (which seemed to make the angry person worse - dont know why)

2/ My first comment was "That will be your fault then as you were changing lanes." Insurance company did knock for knock, the other driver lost its NCB. (I had already lost mine - hence the care free attitude)

Brooks' Gambit - drbe
1/ It went from shock to bewildered, to downright anger. Mine
alternated between utter indifference and barely disguised humour (which seemed to
make the angry person worse - dont know why)
2/ My first comment was "That will be your fault then
as you were changing lanes." Insurance company did knock for knock,
the other driver lost its NCB. (I had already lost mine
- hence the care free attitude)

So that's one driver taught a lesson (s)he won't quickly forget. Only another 19,999,999 or so to go!
Brooks' Gambit - ForumNeedsModerating
If it's called Brooks' Gambit with the apostrophe after the 's', there must have been two people called Brook. If it was one, it would be Brook's: if (s)he was called Brooks, it would have been Brooks's.

Not my understanding of this. The name could be 'Brooks' , so is a name ending in 's' - in which case only the possessive apostrophe is used unless you pronounce 'Brooks' Gambit' as 'Brooks's Gambit' i.e. phonetically: Brook-sis Gambit.

Presumably the originator, knows the name as 'Brooks' & would say of him or her, for example: 'This is Brooks' (ph. Brooks) house' not 'This is Brooks's (ph. Brook-sis) house'
Brooks' Gambit - Lud
would say of him or her
for example: 'This is Brooks' (ph. Brooks) house' not 'This is Brooks's (ph. Brook-sis) house'

Well you would be wrong woodbines, along with a lot of other people and not very seriously, but wrong anyway.
Brooks' Gambit - AngryJonny
If this isn't yet attributed to anyone I'd like to add E34kid's gambit to the list, which I'm ashamed to say I've used once or twice when in a hurry and stuck in crawling traffic on the Reading-Thames Ditton commute.

You're on a motorway. It's nose to tail and you're doing less than 2 mph on average. So at the next junction, you pull off, speed down the exit ramp, cross the roundabout at the bottom and go back up the entry ramp to the same motorway, pulling back on about half a mile further on than you were. Half a mile progress means quarter of an hour saved. The best bit, of course, is that the people who saw you leave the motorway are half a mile behind you when you rejoin so no-one gets angry with you. And the feeling of guilt only stays with you until you get home and crack open a beer at the time when you would have otherwise still been stuck on the M4.
No need to be ashamed. Shows the sort of initiative and cunning that got us through the dark days of '39 - '45.

It's a rat race, and the fastest rat wins.
I have used gthe "e34kid" gambit as well.

Sometimes its a bad one when the queue on the slip to rejoin the Motorway takes longer than the motorway!
Petrol stations on the corner of traffic light junctions can be a handy time saver if you are turning right or left.

Nip in to fill up then "suddenly notice" you have over half a tank full and drive out the other side.
Petrol stations on the corner of traffic light junctions can be
a handy time saver if you are turning right or left.
Nip in to fill up then "suddenly notice" you have over
half a tank full and drive out the other side.

In the village where I grew up there was a DIY warehouse that had entrances to its forecourt either side of a pelican crossing. Occasionally you'd see a cheeky motorist jump a red light by pulling onto the forecourt through one entrance and driving straight back out the other. They must have saved 5 seconds.
Yep, sometimes it does backfire, and more often than not the queue to rejoin stops you from gaining the full half mile. But two or three E34kid gambits in one journey can lop half an hour or so off your journey when used in the right (or wrong, whichever way you look at it) conditions.

The effectiveness of the E34kid gambit is enhanced if you happen across a junciton that goes nowhere of any consequence. Then the queue to rejoin is drastically reduced, usually made up entirely of people employing the same tactics.

Maybe I should call it Jon's Gambit. It's less of a mouthful.
Brooks' Gambit - Canuck
A lot of selfish folk out there....

Brooks' Gambit hurts more people than the ones you cut in front of because it also obstructs traffic flowing in any other direction on the roundabout. Everyone has to wait while you swing by on the roundabout, slowing them down.

This frequently happens on the A9000 at Kirkliston where a 2 mile southbound tailback results solely because of northbound drivers heading for the Forth Road Bridge using this trick to jump the queue.

Canuck
Widespread use of Brooks's Gambit suggests that perhaps the roundabout in question could use a little work.
Brooks' Gambit - Nsar
I do it from time to time. It doesn't delay anyone you've gone ahead of, because as you go round you're creating a new gap for them, meanwhile the cars that were behind you and are now two spaces nearer the front (yours and the one I've just mentioned), but a car waiting at another entrance may have been delayed as you pass.
Seems to me it's no net effect overall other than you've saved sometime, unless of course everyone does it.
Brooks' Gambit - jon_s
I think that sometimes poor local authority traffic management policy encourages this kind of behaviour. At a busy roundabout near where I live, the predominant traffic flows (I'd guess 80%)are straight on and left, the right turn being to a small village. In their wisdom the LA have marked the left hand lane for traffic turning left or heading straight on, the right being used exclusively for the small volume of traffic heading into the village. Result? Huge queue in LH lane, nobody in RH lane, lots of people employing Brooks' Gambit. Previously traffic heading straight on could use RH lane, making the roundabout function much better IMO.

(Churscombe Cross roundabout near Marldon, A380 southbound, for anyone who knows it)
In my defence (apart from the grammer mistackes)

I do re-charge my Karma on roundabouts - when I get to a roundabout which is incredibly difficult to get onto (Such as the M275) I fairld often go around it quite slowly to allow the card trying to join and leave the town space. Usually 3-6 cars can get away when it would have taken 3-10 mins as everybody going south on the M275 whizzes down there and (v. v. often) block the yellow box...
So I think my Karma is balanced.

ohmmmmmmmmmm.
the first couple of spelling mistakes up above were deliberate. the rest is re-written below..

In my defence (apart from the grammer mistackes)

I do re-charge my Karma on roundabouts - when I get to a roundabout which is incredibly difficult to get onto (Such as the M275) I fairly often go right around it (sometime 2-3 times) quite slowly to allow the cars trying to join (where I had been) space. Usually 3-6 cars can get away when it would have taken 3-10 mins - mainly as everybody going south on the M275 whizzes down there and (v. v. often) block the yellow box...
So I think my Karma is balanced.

ohmmmmmmmmmm.

Mods.. please hide my former errors!
Brooks' Gambit - Armitage Shanks {p}
Google search results at tinyurl.com/7fbb6 . Gives descriptions but not origin!
Brooks' Gambit - tyre tread
Sorry AS but the link does not work
Brooks' Gambit - Armitage Shanks {p}
You are right, it doesn't!

{It should work now. A space was needed between 7fbb6 and the full stop. DD}
Brooks' Gambit - tyre tread
Sorry again AS but the search turns up 2 links that don't work and the other takes you to excerpts from "Ducking and Driving" which gives the explanation that the original poster of this thread has copied and pasted in, so we still don't know its origin!
myweb.tiscali.co.uk/duckinganddriving/excerpts.html

You have to read this - its hilarious and scarily accurate.
Brooks' Gambit - AN Other
All very sad, really, and I mean that in a mournful rather than scornful sense.

All these little acts of competition and petty oneupmanship just go to create the aggressive, stressful, miserable atmosphere we have on the roads these days. If any of you do these things, just think for a minute. You possibly cut 30 seconds off your journey time, but you also made a few other people feel a little less respected, a little more pushed around, and a little more unhappy.

I've thought about this so-called "Brooks Gambit" in the past. And rejected it for the reasons above. It's unfair, in the same way as queue jumping in a supermarket is unfair. Don't tell me it's the rat race. I'm not a rat, and I don't want to live like one, or treat others like one. We aren't animals: we have a choice in the way we behave.

I don't know if this makes any sense to any of you, but reading that silly London driving guide makes me realise why I sometimes find driving a lot more tedious and just a bit depressing these days.
Well said,Mr Other. Count me in as a member of the non rat race!
In this case call me Roland......
Heeeeeey Rat Fans

(I used to have a Roland stuck, like garfield, to the rear window)
Brooks' Gambit - Bilboman
As there are really no written rules about this or any other driving manoeuvre some would call plain old cheating, could I suggest...
1. Anything goes as long as no damage ensues and no one is hurt (and it wouldn't upset your sister or startle the horses)
2. The best "tricks" to use are those where other drivers affected by it don't actually know you've done it
3. Anything that keeps traffic flowing and reduces queues HAS to be a good thing.
Zip merging should be made compulsory at lane closures; The two normally irreconcileable concepts of British "queue up whenever possible" and "traffic efficiency" could finally meet in the same place!
Brooks' Gambit - Pugugly {P}
I thought it was a tactic for advanced players of Mornington Crescent :-(
Brooks' Gambit - pmh
A E

the link does not work for me 404 error

anybody esle?????/
--

pmh (was peter)

Brooks' Gambit - Lud
anybody esle?????/
--

>

Yup.
That Tiscali link is on the blink!
Further thoughts on (alleged) queue jumping.
I'm not convinced the analogy with supermarket queues is valid, as there isn't a "relative speed" element, neither is there bunching up; people tend to be stationary.
Ever been in the supermarket queue when a neighbouring checkout suddenly opens, only to see the mad rush of half your queue (those just behind you) taking up a place in a new line? This is not actually fair. If there are a dozen queueing up and shoppers 7 to 12 form a new queue, then they have each effectively jumped six places. (Veterans of WWII and/or rationing are at the front in milliseconds.) If you were shopper number four in the old queue, you'd feel aggrieved - especially at shoppers 7, 8 and 9 who are now in position 1, 2 and 3 - wouldn't you? The only way to resolve this is to ask alternating shoppers to join the new queue, odd numbers to the left, evens to the right, in a reverse zip-merge manoeuvre; try imposing that on late Friday night shoppers with the authority of anything less than a detachment of Marines.... And none of this would actually work, since it is impossible to determine who is the lethargic, pedantic checker-outer or shopper until it's too late!
As to traffic - once we get inside the protective environment of those motorised metal boxes it is a rat race, every rat for itself. Normal rules of human behaviour simply don't apply.
Eek eek eek...

Brooks' Gambit - rtj70
As for shopping queues... seen loads of long queues and people happy to wait. I go upto customer service or the people looking after tills and ask them to open some more. So they often do and I get to the front. Am I cheating then? Not sure as it was me personally that got the extra line opened. The others just queuing like lemmings.
not suprised, that link is two years old, as is the thread.
------
< Ulla>
Brooks' Gambit - SteVee
I've used it sometimes in the past - I would also create space to allow the queue in the left lane to use the roundabout.

On a motorcycle, I've used it when the left lane is empty (usually the area is free of traffic).
Even doing a couple of circuits of the roundabout before deciding which exit to take.
I don't expect car drivers to understand that at all though :-)
A more extreme version of this happened to me some time ago. I was in one queue of traffic and saw a dozy driver bearing down on me at what the more laconic BIBs would call a "fair old lick". Obviously no time to stop before hitting the last car (me!) so I darted into the other lane in order to (i) save myself; (ii) give the dozy so-and-so more time to brake, if he actually got round to braking.
In the event, much scorched rubber, lots of noise, khaki underwear all round but no actual damage. Had there been damage and/or injury I would maintain that I was taking the right course of action - would anyone disagree?
Brooks' Gambit - Nsar
I did this myself earlier this year - saw an accident about to happen in my mirror, moved into the middle of the road as the car behind me was shunted from the rear into the car in front of me.

I stopped and gave my name as a witness and have heard nothing, after about four months.

Brooks' Gambit - Round The Bend
When I was working in Norwich I used to encounter a 2 lane stretch leading to a major roundabout. My office exit used to join this 2 lane road at cross roads controlled by traffic lights with a yellow box junction.

When the lights released the opposite traffic into the 2 lane stretch to my left, most headed for the left hand lane with the queue frequently blocking the box junction so often only one car made it from our exit before the lights changed again.

When I finally made it to take the left turn I would nearly always take the right hand lane and execute the Brooks Gambit at the roundabout. My theory was that I was improving traffic flow and cannot see anything wrong with this.

Of course, if the authorities had enforced the box junction rules then the Brooks may not have been necessary.
Brooks' Gambit - Cliff Pope
There was a thread recently that started with a video clip of cars and a lorry trying to turn right onto a busy dual carriageway, and the problems of stopping half-way. Anyone remember?

The official best advice was to turn left instead, then go right round the next roundabout and so join the opposite carriageway further up. Isn't that just another variant of Brooke's gambit - in other words, easing the traffic flow.