Using gears to slow down - Happy Blue!
I think it has now been established that using the gears in a manual car to slow down is out of date and is a driving test failure. Something to do with it being cheaper to replace a brake pad than a clutch plate.

I don't drive manuals these days but when I drive rental cars which are manual, I still slow down through the gears because I feel it gives me more control, especially if I need to speed up again quickly. It how I was taught in the early 1980s as well.

Anyway, there was a post here recently which said that the whole transmission system was subject to far greater stresses if the through the gears method is used. Maybe, maybe not.

However, even though I drive an auto, I still use the 'box to slow down, although the effect on my car (mildly turbo'ed) is less than in a manual.

Is this good or bad practice from a wear on the components perspective.

I don't care whether it is effective or not. I've been driving for 23 years and the chances of me changing habits now is limited.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Using gears to slow down - Altea Ego
"I drive an auto, I still use the 'box to slow down"

what method do you use to do that?
Using gears to slow down - Dynamic Dave
RF,

I do the same as Espada. On my previous auto Vectra and Cavalier I pressed the "S" button to drop the gearbox into 3rd, and on steep hills I often moved the autostick to the 2 position for maximum engine braking.

My lastest Vectra auto has the best of both worlds; I can either leave it in auto, or move the stick across into the "Active Select facility" and it becomes a manual gearbox.
Using gears to slow down - Roly93
This style of driving, ie using gears to slow down, is an outdated driving technique more at home in 1960's cars than cars of today which have excellent brakes and good tyres. I'm always telling my wife that brakes are cheaper than clutches and gearboxes, as she was taught in this way.
Using gears to slow down - Manatee
I like the feeling of extra control from changing down though tend to reduce speed with brakes first. That said, if not done brutally and at too high a speed, why (I reason) should changing down create any more wear than accelerating gently through the gears?

And whilst brakes and discs are now undeniably consumables, and therefore should be preferred, they are not a negligible cost item on many cars.

One thing I have trained myself to do in recent years is to lift off sooner when approaching junctions, roundabouts, bends etc. to arrive at something near the desired speed - so many people stay on the throttle right up to the moment they switch to the brake - good technique in F1 maybe but rather wasteful (of brakes and fuel)on the road I always think.

I have noticed that my auto will drop a gear downhill if I use the brake gently to maintain speed - it is obviously programmed to do so but it does suggest that the manufacturer doesn't think it's a bad idea.
Using gears to slow down - BazzaBear {P}
Are we talking about using a lower gear to keep a constant speed down a steep hill?
If so, I do that, far preferable to constantly having to dab the brakes.
Using gears to slow down - David Horn
No, I think he means slowing down to roundabouts etc. The problem with just using the brakes is that should you need to accelerate away in a hurry you're in the wrong gear.
No, I think he means slowing down to roundabouts etc.
The problem with just using the brakes is that should you
need to accelerate away in a hurry you're in the wrong
gear.

The technique favoured by IAM etc for many years at roundabouts and similar was (and still is AFAIK) to use the brakes to slow down, then slip into whatever gear is appropriate to pull away when the time comes - if you have to pull up, that would be first, otherwise perhaps 2nd or 3rd - the key point being that you don't go down through the intermediate gears to get there.
Using gears to slow down - cheddar
I understand that the IAM etc now frown on using the gears to slow down, the advice is to leave the car in the gear it was in when braking commenced, dip the clutch as required and the select the appropriate gear when you are able to accelerate/pull away.

I disagree with this, by using the engine to slow down you will always be in the appropriate gear as and when you need it, also I do not believe that there is any evidence of transmission wear being increased by engine braking however brake pad/disc wear must be increased by relying soley on the brakes to slow down.
Using gears to slow down - Bromptonaut
Need more precise definition of "Using gears to slow down". I think what Espada means is using the engine to slow down, then dropping a gear to keep the engine in its torque band. This works well if you have a relaxed and anticipative driving style, and have good engine braking (eg a diesel). I cannot see any more harm being done to the transmission than in accelerating gently.

The No No is the reverse boy racer style where each gear dropped brings the tachometer up to the red line.
Besides all this, using the gears to slow down rather than the brakes alone can also help you save fuel.

If I leave my gearbox solely in auto I average 24 to 25mpg around town, but if I use the gearbox to help me slow down, I can get 28 to 30 mpg.
Using gears to slow down - Sofa Spud
Slowing down approaching a roundabout, lights etc., I usually change down from 5th or 4th to 3rd.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

Using gears to slow down - Robin Reliant
Bromtonaut has got it right. There is a miconception between using the geas to slow down and using the engine to do so. When selecting a lower gear the engine revs should be increased so there is no braking effect as the clutch bites, only when it is fully engaged and your foot comes off the gas. Using the gearchange itself as a brake is torture for the transmission system and was never the method advised by the IAM or anyone else.
Using gears to slow down - Mapmaker
We are constantly being told by car manufacturers that we are disinclined to use our brakes sufficiently fiercely, therefore in the event of an emergency they will increase the brake force automatically. Therefore the brakes have plenty in reserve, so why bother faffing about stirring the gear box, when the brakes are more than capable of doing it for you.

Using gears to slow down - TimW
I always use the engine braking, it's rubbish it wears the clutch as long as you bring the engine up to speed and don't 'drag' it using the clutch - this is how I've used gearboxes since riding bikes, and my Fiesta is still on the same clutch (And until recently I wasn't gentle too it, either - only now I can't be doing with fixing it)

Relying on the brakes is lazy in my opinion, and like others have said it's handy always being the right gear (The most engine braking is where the most torque is).

No doubt this will get slated, but in my opinion, most 'outdated' driving techniques are still valid today.
Using gears to slow down - v8man
The IAM method is "gears to go, brakes to slow". The Police use this method coupled with block down changes. This is the method I was taught on my advanced riding.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Interesting response.

In reply to some questions, my method is to use engine braking but not so that the revs rise significantly. I drop down through the box after I have been off the gas for a while so that each drop brings about a noticable but gently slowing.

In a manual, coming to a round about in say 4th gear and then changing into second to pull away is time consuming and potentially hazardous. If you slow down through a combination of brakes, no gas and changing down, you will be in 2nd gear at the time you need it, not one second later, by which time, you may well have missed a gap or been shunted up the rear.

In an auto, the situation is similar, although with no clutch to wear, engine braking certainly saves on brake pads.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
"gears to go, brakes to slow".

Is a nice rhyme and may still have it's place, (we're outside my experience here) be with larger petrol engines.

In a mid size diesel there's a wide range of speed control on the accelerator pedal. Lift your right foot and the speed decays pretty quickly, drop a gear as the revs fall below 1800, matching the new engine speed to road speed without slippping the clutch. Repeat as reuqired until either your're at walking pace in first or you want ot accelerate again.

I find the IAM method pretty comfortable when combined with anticipation (lifting off in good time) so mostly only light braking is needed. I certainly don't think many people in modern cars drop gear by gear 4-3-2-1 (no 5th in those days) as I was taught to do a Morris Minor, and approaching a junction in a straight line it would now seem very odd to me now, and I can't believe that many people do it.

My wife is by her record an excellent and safe driver - both of us use brakes, rather than gears, to slow in general, but she is a heavier braker - she stays on the throttle longer so approaches hazards faster - and she wears out brakes and tyres at twice the rate I do.

In 30+ years neither of us has ever worn out a clutch or broken a transmission component (famous last words...)
Using gears to slow down - flathat
Having followed an interesting mix of old and new views, I must say that I prefer the engine braking method. I just cannot bring myself to rush up to a hazard and jam my brakes on when I get there. I prefer to be in the right gear and doing the right spedd for each situation which means to me that I change down as I approach a hazard and am in the right gear at the right speed to pull away fast when it is possible to do so. As my driving instructor said "the right pedal uses petrol, the midlle pedal wastes it"- if you are in the right gear at the right speed you will not waste petrol using the middle pedal.
I agree gear changing is not in fashion this decade, but I feel I drive more safely as taught than trying to change technique mid-life and risk getting things (dangerously) wrong.
Using gears to slow down - Civic8
>>Therefore the brakes have plenty in reserve, so why bother faffing about stirring the gear box, when the brakes are more than capable of doing it for you.

I always use brakes to slow down.I would not put a gearbox/final drive through the extremes of forward drive.then sudden reverse/braking.Modern systems may be able to cope but would rather replace brakes IMO
--
Steve
Using gears to slow down - smokie
Having recently completed IAM I realise what a lot of unnecessary effort I was putting into changing down gear, and unnecessary wear and tear on the gearbox and associated bits. Also using block changing, I am now "saving" a large percentage (maybe 33%) of unnecessary gear changes, not so much by braking but by reading the road ahead better.

And to say that you can't change after 23 yrs driving is not true. Many of my habits were formed over the same kind of period (actually slightly longer) and I've changed them.
Using gears to slow down - Stuartli
Gears are used to accelerate and I use them to slow down as well - if you anticipate correctly then you don't need to use the brakes.

If you get everything right then a passenger wouldn't even noticed that you'd changed down a gear (or more) by matching the reves to the gear change. You will normally then be in the correct gear to accelerate.

The brake pads are cheaper to replace philosophy expired many years ago - de-accleration in gear is kinder rather than accelerating through the gears afterwards following use of the brakes (in my humble opinion).

In fact, on (modest) hills close to my home where there are traffic lights at the top, I drop into first or second and let the car take itself up the hill until the lights change.

The highest fuel consumption is usually progress from rest or slow speeds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Using gears to slow down - THe Growler
I have always used the gears in conjunction with the brakes to slow down so that I'm in the gear I need to be in when it's time to accelerate. That's what I was taught by my Army driving instructor. In the dozens of cars I've owned I've never worn out a gearbox or clutch yet, so as far as I'm concerned the "brakes are cheaper" argument is a bunch of horsefeathers, whereeas the "staying in control" one is eminent good sense.
Agreed Growler!
Using gears to slow down - turbo11
Gears are for go,Brakes are for slow.Imho(As an automotive transmission engineer of 25 years experience)road car gearboxes are not designed strength wise for "harsh"in-gear deceleration,The load transmitted is far higher than in acceleration.Its about being sensible.Gentle down changes are not a problem.Use your brakes, thats what they are there for,and pads& discs are much cheaper to replace than a replacement box.
Bromtonaut has got it right. There is a miconception between using the geas to slow down and using the engine to do so. When selecting a lower gear the engine revs should be increased so there is no braking effect as the clutch bites, only when it is fully engaged and your foot comes off the gas.

>>
Using the gears to slow down inevitely involves the engine, i.e. the momentum of the car is turning the engine over above idle speed, the effort involved in doing this thus providing braking force.
Using the gearchange itself as a brake is torture for the transmission system

>>

Rubbish, the transmission is under mauch mre strain every time the car pull away from the kerb.
and was never the method advised by the IAM or anyone else.

>>

IIRC the IAM used to promote engine braking, they have changed their stance, I suggest that they are wrong.
Using gears to slow down - L'escargot
Besides all this, using the gears to slow down rather than
the brakes alone can also help you save fuel.

I can't see the logic in that. Whether you brake, change down or throw out an anchor the effect on the car is the same, namely that you are deliberately creating a force to reduce your speed. How much energy you are wasting (i.e how much you are affecting fuel consumption) depends on the degree of deceleration you achieve. The most economical method of slowing down would be to anticipate well in advance, put the car into neutral, and allow the unavoidable friction forces to do the job. Not the safest method, but certainly the most economical.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Using gears to slow down - sierraman
How does that work?If you dip the clutch and brake the engine is ticking over.If you use the gears the wheels are driving the engine,increasing revs and therefore using more fuel.
Regarding autos I would think forcing the box to change down before it usually would is going to overheat the fluid and torque converter,but that might not show up for a while.Pads and discs are definitely cheaper than autoboxes.
>>If you use the gears the wheels are driving the engine,increasing revs and therefore using more fuel.>>

On the overrun, my Bora's computer readout's fuel consumption indication drops to a line of -----, indicating that fuel consumption is less than the 199mpg maximum figure available.

It's a question of anticipation and, furthermore, much smoother to slow down gradually in fourth or fifth (or whatever is appropriate for the speed) until it may be necessary to brake.

As I pointed out earlier, moving off from rest or low speeds brings higher fuel consumption; best to let the car's momentum work in your favour.
Sieraman's point probably holds true in a car with a carburettor. On a diesel and any car with Electronic Fuel Injection the fuel flow with foot off gas is near zero.
It is zero - for emmissions reasons. Even before EFi there were electronically controlled carbs which reduced fuel input on overrun to zero. My Uno had one like that. It didn't spit and pop and rasp like my old Alfasud.
--
Didn't Ford in the mid-80s call them 'lean burn'?
Using gears to slow down - commerdriver
It is zero - for emmissions reasons.

Silly question from a technical numpty, if the fuel flow is zero why doesn't the engine stop?
Using gears to slow down - Number_Cruncher
>> It is zero - for emmissions reasons.
Silly question from a technical numpty, if the fuel flow is
zero why doesn't the engine stop?

Inertia - both the rotational inertia of the engine's crankshaft, flywheel, and trnasmission shafts, and the inertia of of the whole car, rolling along, connected via the transmission.

So, as the engine has no fuel input, it produces no output torque. The torque required to overcome engine friction, and pumping losses is added, via the transmission to the total drag force acting on the car, slowing it down. Hence it is called engine braking.

The exhaust brake devices mentioned add to the pumping losses.

When a car is idling, the engine produces no useful output torque. All of the torque produced by burning the fuel just overcomes the engine's internal friction and pumping losses. (If there were any net torque left over, it would accelerate the rotating mass of the engine - like when people rev the engine in neutral - still producing no useful output torque)

number_cruncher
Using gears to slow down - commerdriver
Still persevering one more time with the silly question, surely after a few seconds there is no ignition because there is no fuel to ignite. I can appreciate that inertia would keep the engine turning but wouldn't you feel something when the engine "restarted"?
Using gears to slow down - patently
wouldn't you feel something when the engine "restarted"?

Maybe you don't because to reach full throttle from "foot off", you need to spend a finite amount of time at low throttle. So there will be some revolutions where the engine is idling and can catch up.
I agree, even stamping on the throttle is a slow event for the ECU, when one considers the speed of other engine events.

The transitions between over-run and power are areas where the writers, and calibrators of the ECU software can really demonstrate their skill.

number_cruncher

I agree, even stamping on the throttle is a slow event
for the ECU, when one considers the speed of other engine
events.

The back of my envelope says that to get the throttle right down within the time spent in one engine revolution requires me to move my foot at over 70 mph.

And as we know, the UK speed limit is never that high :-)
Using gears to slow down - WhiteTruckMan
Interesting stuff in this thread. Allow me to toss in some tidbits from the point of view of driving the big stuff.

When you have a large engine (12 litres plus) then you are somewhat limited in engine braking options. Bear in mind that you can be doing most of your work in a 4-500 rpm band, coupled with up to 16 or more gears then you have an enviroment where overspeeding the engine can be a serious possibility. For long decents we have something called an exhaust brake. this is basically a flap with a small hole in it that is introduced into the exhaust just after the manifold. this has the effect of making the engine harder to turn over. downside of this is that it works better at higher rpms, but you have to keep an eye on it and might have to grab a higher gear and hit the service brake. you also need to be wary of that long forgotton (among car drivers) problem of brake fade. not nice.

you also have the secondary brakes (you suddenly discover religeon if you have to use these), parking brake (self explanatory) and the clutch brake (not to be used for stopping under any circumstances).

If you knock-say-15mph off in an approach to a junction, you do it with the service (foot) brake. there simply isnt time to start dropping gears. Thats why we are taught block changing.

WTM

BTW, forgot most important brake, the tea brake :-)
Using gears to slow down - holly1
I learnt to drive in 1991 and was taught the "use your gears to slow you down" method and I have used it ever since. Its only since I began training to be an instructor I have been told this is wrong and I should slow down using the brakes and then block change down to the appropriate gear .... feels like I am having to learn to drive again!! I suppose its cheaper to replace brake pads/disks than it is to replace a clutch or gearbox.
Using gears to slow down - P 2501
One of the reasons the IAM recommends using brakes rather than gears to slow down is that when you slow with the gears you are shedding speed but not activating the brake lights. Not neccesarily a problem, but if you are starting a steep down hill road and slow too much with gears but not touch the brakes, there is a greater chance of being rear-ended.

I found going down through the gears natural myself however, and had to be taught not to do this by my instructor. I soon came round to the idea of slowing primarily by brakes, and selecting the correct gear to pull away in.

I think the older a driver, the more likely he/she is to go down through the gears. i find This technique is relatively uncommon amongst the younger generation.
Using gears to slow down - madf
Oh dear. I am an older driver. I use my brakes to slow down as it keeps the disks from rusting , is much quicker and I live on a steeeeep hill .

I like to be in control and will change from 4th to 2nd if the conditions warrant..(using the acclerator to match engine speed)

When I was a student I drove a 1929 Rily 9 with no syncromesh... chnaging down involved double declutching which was a pain and slow and dangerous imo on hills due to the time it took. So I always used the brakes to slow.

Ditto my 1946 Rover 16. The latter had very interesting brake fade on long downhills. Quite frightening as you pressed the brake pedal harder, nothing happened, you smelt hot brake pads (asbestos then?) and HAD to engage a lower gear or continue to accelerate downhill (talking about LONG downhills - say 1 km and several 100 metres height descent... rare in all but the most hilly parts).

With modern brakes, I have never ever experienced brake fade so the need to use engine braking has gone. Brake failure? With modern twin circuits and well maintained cars? Like rocking horse poo:-)

madf

I think the older a driver, the more likely he/she is
to go down through the gears.

I think that you would have to be extremely old to have been taught by a driving school to change down to reduce speed rather than using brakes. Either that or you were taught to drive by an even older relative/friend. I learned to drive in 1956 (BSM driving school) and I wasn't taught to change down. Perhaps the armed forces instructors still advocated changing down as late as 1956, but probably only because changes to their rigid rule book hadn't kept up with the rest of the world!
--
I was taught in 1981 and dropped down through the gears when slowing. My instructor at the time was no more than about 30.
--
I was taught in 1981 and dropped down through the gears
when slowing. My instructor at the time was no more
than about 30.

Had he perhaps been taught to drive by his granddad? Changing down to slow down went out together with non-synchromesh gearboxes and double declutching!
--
At the end of the day does it really matter?

Slow down in which ever way you feel comfortable in doing so.

I was taught to use the gears to aid slowing down, and so far none of my previously owned cars, both auto's or manuals, have suffered any gearbox related problems because of it. And unless I'm very much mistaken, neither has anyone else in the thread so far.
Using gears to slow down - holly1
Driving is like most things, techniques & ideas change over the years. Unless people keep going back for re-fresher courses every so many years then they will continue to pass the old ideas onto others.
>>I think that you would have to be extremely old to have been taught by a driving school to change down to reduce speed rather than using brakes.

Not necessarily. I know plenty of people in their 50's who were taught this and find primarily using their brakes to slow down very odd.

>>Changing down to slow down went out together with non-synchromesh gearboxes and double declutching!
--

Obviously not as there are plenty of posters here who swear by it!
Using gears to slow down - M.M
Might be a subtle difference in words but I tend to "go down through the gears" as I slow down so at any point engine revs are in the correct range for roadspeed.

M.M
Using gears to slow down - martint123
I'm in the "slow down with gears" camp.
I suppose a lot depends on what sort of driving you do - motorway, stuck in jams, or on open, winding backroads. I don't "do" the first two, so being in the right gear at the right revs makes for better "progress".
I used to drive a retired traffic plod around on occasions and he was always moaning about other drivers brake lights coming on when unnecessary, saying that if you're in the right gear then just lifting the throttle is enough to adjust your speed rather than dabbing the throttle and brakes all the time.
>>he was always moaning about other drivers' brake lights coming on when unnecessary>>

He was absolutely right...:-)
"Obviously not as there are plenty of posters here who swear by it!"

Luddites. They should have licence groups revoked and only be allowed class D&C

(D&C class - Two or four wheeled wooden cart propelled by a donkey between the shafts.)

Or buy a Renualt
Using gears to slow down - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My BMW bike (1150cc twin) has got strong engine braking and I rarely need to touch the brakes at normal speeds- even in sixth gear.
Sounds frightening to me to go closer to a corner before starting to slowdown using the brakes.
That is the implication isn't it.
I usually just shut the throttle to adjust my entry speed then hold a steady pace until acceleration is safe.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Using gears to slow down - tyro
I've no wisdom or knowledge - but would like to know what is best for the car.

I suppose there is a sense in which everybody uses the gears to some extent, since, unless one is in neutral, there will be some engine braking. (Or am I wrong about this?)

Personally, I tend to use the gears a bit, especially when going down hill - but I aim to keep the revs down - maximum of 3000. If what I am doing is wrong, I'd appreciate someone telling. (I drive petrol engined cars with manual transmission.)
I do exactly the same thing, never had any problems in 25,000 hard driven miles on my car...
Using gears to slow down - THe Growler
Agree with that, Harley with massive engine is similar. I do a bit of work on rider training and we always teach "get your housekeeping done before you go into the bend". Which means getting any braking done while the bike is upright and being in the right gear to accelerate out of the corner, so you power into the bend, not "trail" into it. Bike has maximum stability, tyres maximum grip.

Then hit the apex, lay her over, look where you want to go, the bike will follow, and power on out of the bend. Maximum grip that way. Worst thing you can do is go into a bend on a bike in "trailing mode" let alone braking when you're into it. All your weight distribution is wrong and it's easy to lose the plot.
Go in a tad too fast, you must ignore your survival instincts (i.e. to let off the power and apply the brakes) at all costs, keep the power on and crank her over a bit more. She knows what to do.

Gears are put there for a purpose, to deliver the right amount of power for the right situation. Relying on brakes alone would give me a most unsafe feeling. Supposing they failed?
Growler asked "supposing the brakes failed ?"

And I ask: "supposing the clutch failed on engine braking?"

I've had one clutch failure in the past 20 years driving. No brake failures.

So I'll stick to using the brakes for what they were designed for...

madf

Using gears to slow down - The Lawman
I think I do a bit of both.

I never try and slow down by just changing down, but I will brake and drop through the gears at the same time.
And I ask: "supposing the clutch failed on engine braking?"

Use the brakes.
Using gears to slow down - klystron
Whilst doing my PSV driver training many years ago I was taught to use the brakes to slow the bus down rather than a lower gear and engine braking. The reason for this was that when using the brakes all four wheels were contributing to the braking effort, whilst if using the engine / gears then only two wheels were doing the work with a greater chance of a skid developing. Putting wear and tear issues aside then, on dry roads it probably isn't going to make much difference which you use. On wet or icy roads however perhaps the habit of using the brakes (gently) rather than engine / gears is the safest option.
Interesting point klystron. But working in the opposite direction: brakes can lock the wheels, whereas engine braking can't, therefore you should use engine braking as you're less likely to skid...
To be honest, I have no idea which is technically correct, I find them both believable though.
I kind of do both. I certainly use the brakes, but I try to ensure I'm in the correct gear. And if I'm trying to maintain a particular speed, I'll do it with the gears, not repeated taps of the brakes.
I can assure you engine braking can lock the wheels.. on ice or hard packed snow.. Been there done it...ended up driving with one set of wheels on verge braking:-(

madf

Using gears to slow down - Ex-Moderator
>>I can assure you engine braking can lock the wheels..

Assuming the engine is actually running, then no it cannot lock the wheels. It can, however, cause them to rotate considerably slower than the speed of travel might otherwise require.

The resulting skid will be such that the wheels might as well be locked.
>>Assuming the engine is actually running, then no it cannot lock the wheels. It can, however, cause them to rotate considerably slower than the speed of travel might otherwise require.<<

I assume from this that you have never ridden a motorbike. I can assure you that if you change down on a bike when the road speed is too high the engine can momentarily stop turning causing the rear to lock up. That is why race bikes and a number of new road sports bikes are now fitted with slipper clutches.

--
I am a kinda hybrid brake/gear changer. say for example Toodling along at 40 - 70 ish in 4th or 5th (or 6th) approaching a r/bout.

I will brake till I hit what it think is a reasonable speed to approach r/bout and block change down to 3rd or 2nd. If further slowing action are required then more brake and another cog down to whatever (second from 3rd)

So it all varies about what hazzard and speed I am approaching - I suspect most on here do a similar thing or strategy

Using gears to slow down - Xileno {P}
Brakes to slow
Gears to go.
It rhymes therefore it's true.
It rhymes therefore it's true.

So does:-

Gears to go.
gears to slow.
Using gears to slow down - thallium81
At the beginning of the Police Drivers Handbook it states: "The aim of Roadcraft is to improve the skill and safety of your driving so that you can make the best us of road and traffic conditions." One thing the book impresses on you is that rigidly obeying 'rules' eg Gears to go brakes to slow, is not conducive to good driving. In my youth I was a terrible driver though I did'nt think so. £10 spent on Roadcraft has done wonders for my driving, my safety and my wife's peace of mind. Well worth a read or three.
>>One of the reasons the IAM recommends using brakes rather than gears to slow down is that when you slow with the gears you are shedding speed but not activating the brake lights. Not neccesarily a problem, but if you are starting a steep down hill road and slow too much with gears but not touch the brakes, there is a greater chance of being rear-ended.<<

The reason the IAM tell you to use the brakes to slow is that is what the things are there for!! The engine is to provide forward motion not to brake.

Also to address a point made earlier, block changing doesn't mean racing up to junctions. It is quite possible to slow to
around 25moph in most cars in 4th or 5th gear without any drama and then block change down as you slow or stop.

--
Using gears to slow down - Truckersunite
No matter how many times I have heard it in this thread, the argument for slowing down using the gears just does not hold water. How can "Braking" two wheels give you better control then braking with all 4!!!! With modern cars and aids such as ABS there is no reason to use the gears to slow down, you do not have full control using this method. If you drop a cog and your engine speed is near the red line then you have no power avaliable to you, so that side of the argument is defunct. On older cars you used to use the gear box to ASSIST your braking, not to do the braking instead of the wheel brakes. At the end of day just look at what the components are called:-

BRAKES = Braking

Transmission = Transmit drive to the wheels

Simple aint it ;o)
How can "Braking" two wheels give you better
control then braking with all 4!!!!

And which two do you think have the most braking influence?
Discs front, drums rear on most cars I see day to day except BMW's etc.

I personally don't mean it from a control point of view, just that in my opinion, balancing the engine speed with the road speed and dropping down a gear is far more involving than simply going for the brakes. To my mind you need to be able to read the road properly to do it well.

>>With modern cars and aids
such as ABS there is no reason to use the gears
to slow down, you do not have full control using this
method.

Well, I've never lost control while using engine braking going down a hill, or approaching a roundabout...

>>If you drop a cog and your engine speed is
near the red line

What sort of pratt does that?
At the end of day just look at what the components
are called:-
BRAKES = Braking
Transmission = Transmit drive to the wheels
Simple aint it ;o)

But if you can manage to engine break without ruining your clutch, and there fore save brake pads etc, whats the harm? All you're doing is using engine compression.
I think the conclusion of this thread is that there is no right or wrong method. It's a matter of preference. Personally I prefer to let the brakes do the braking, unless I'm on snow or ice.
>Nobody here has reported any problems with using gears to slow.

Who would know? Who is to say whether that gearbox or clutch failure was caused by poor design or engine braking. (Ask Aprilia's Renault friend if he uses the gears to slow.) In the absence of a double blind test under laboratory conditions, we're not going to find out the answer to this anymore than we're going to find out if Optimax is any good (in a car that doesn't need it).

Actually, a friend's Series II Landrover's gearbox exploded whilst attempting to slow the Landrover using gears.

Engines, gearboxes & clutches DO wear out. And engine braking will cause this wearing out to be accelerated. The more times the little thingies under the bonnet go round, the more worn they will become - it's a fact.

There is no doubt (that for everybody except Superman) that when slowing down better control of a car is obtained by having two hands on the steering wheel than one. (Oh, silly me, I bet nobody bothers with two). Removing one hand to put it on the gear stick will reduce the level of control.

>If it rhymes it must be right.

That 'silly' rhyme is used by driving instructors everywhere, because it is generally agreed by those who teach driving that gears are for slow and brakes are for go. (Look, that still rhymes.) And the rhyme is a handy way of drumming it into gold-hooped-earing bedecked, gum-chewing teenagers.
"And the rhyme is a handy way of drumming it into gold-hooped-earing bedecked, gum-chewing teenagers."

What a lovely picture.
That 'silly' rhyme is used by driving instructors everywhere, because it
is generally agreed by those who teach driving that gears are
for slow and brakes are for go. (Look, that still
rhymes.) And the rhyme is a handy way of drumming
it into gold-hooped-earing bedecked, gum-chewing teenagers.

To be honest, people keep quoting that rhyme as proof that this is the right way to drive.
It is used, as you say, by driving instructors, as a memory aid for new and inexperienced drivers - it wouldn't be the only thing they tell their charges that is NOT the best way to drive, but is a very good way for a newbie to drive, until they become proficient enough to use more advanced techniques. Such as using all the elements of the car, brakes and engine, together - in harmony.
As I see it, the over-riding reason for that technique is to make it as simple as possible, I reckon the majority of people on here are capable of driving successfully without requiring such simplicity.
To be honest, people keep quoting that rhyme as proof that
this is the right way to drive.

Ex boss used to quote YCDBSOYA (or something similar) "You Cannot Do Business Sitting On Your Ar$e", pointed out to him that it can also mean "You CAN Do Business Sitting On Your Ar$e".

Same can be said for the numerous motoring related acronyms, POWER etc etc.
Using gears to slow down - tack
I took my driving course in the RAF around South Wales in a long wheel base Landrover. Then took my test in a Moggie Estate. Was taught not only to change down, but also to double de-clutch too between 3rd and 2nd. Mind you, you had to then!

I still sometimes find myself doing it. And you know what? I don't care.

Sometimes, I even double de-clutch going up the gears too!

Learned to drive over 30 years ago and have ALWAYS thought that changing down prior to bends, roundabouts, hazards, going down steep hills gives me much more control.

My Mrs takes turnings in 5th gear and I hate it when I hear the engine pinking and struggling, then the snap of my neck as she changes from 5th to 2nd to get some life into it again.
Using gears to slow down - Obsolete
When I learnt to drive about 8 years ago I asked my instructor about engine braking and he seemed to think it was okay. Later on the IAM taught me that it is better to use the brakes to brake and I now agree as I think I have more control, and wear the gears less.

The IAM use a simple 5 phase system: Information, Position, Speed, Gear and Acceleration. The idea is that on approaching a hazard, you asses the road ahead, adjust your speed to suit (by braking), then change down to the suitable gear, and finally when you clear the hazard, accelerate away. When you accelerate away there's no need to climb through the gears, 3rd to 5th is fine. Part of the reason for this method is to avoid unnecessary gear changes, so that both hands are on the steering wheel most of the time when approaching and negotiating the hazard, and your attention is thus on the hazard, and not the gears. I was taught to use a low gear near the hazard to provide plenty of acceleration if need be e.g. if a car comes straight at me I can quickly move out of the way without needing to change down. Hence I might often be in a lower gear than some other people when going round a roundabout. I probably use more fuel like this, but I believe that it is safer. Anyway, the anticipation and early braking taught by the IAM should help improve fuel consumption overall. I reckon that I am a better driver as a result of IAM lessons.

I assume that police drivers are taught this method to keep their attention on the road ahead, and their hands on the steering wheel rather than saving wear on gears. But then again, they do drive in a more extreme manner and hence require higher standards than most of us.

Leif
And engine braking will cause this wearing out to be accelerated.>>

There is a difference between using the engine to slow down gradually than by going down to the lower gears (plus increased revs to match them) for a more powerful effect - the former is much kinder on the mechanicals in most situations because you are not having to then build up momentum from rest or slow speeds. It also uses less fuel.

But the situation will be slightly different every time and that is why anticipation is so important.
I use vehicles everyday that have an "Engine Brake", it works by backing up the exhaust gasses and slowing the engine down that way, I have also used trucks that have retarders fitted, this is a 3 position lever on the dash that you pull down to act as a braking force usually on the prop shaft (I Believe), these devices are designed for the purpose and the vehicles are designed to use them. That having been said, both type's will only work on the drive axles, as a result you would not use either in icy/snowy conditions and I very rarly use them in the wet as that can also be a bit too slippy. I don't beleive modern car drive-trains are really designed for this type of use.
Still think were taking black and white positions on a range of grey. Let me give you a for instance where I might use either technique. At the start I?m driving a 2.0 litre turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual box at NSL in top gear on a fast single carriageway A road and approaching a village in which I wish to turn right into a side lane.

?Approaching village and fifty limit, I?ll ease off the gas now and let the speed decay. Passing the limit I?m at fifty and running 1500 rpm so drop it into 4 Three hundred metres on I?m approaching a junction, with two pubs and a garage. Fifty is pushing it some and I let the speed fall back to 40, 1800 rpm and falling so drop to third. I?m now coming up to my turn, which has a deceleration lane/refuge. Mirror, there?s nobody behind to inconvenience, signal etc and enter refuge, throttle?s off and speed decaying smartly towards 25. Take second gear, revs peak at 2500 and fall back further, as I spot a nice gap in the southbound traffic I?m rolling towards end of refuge at 10/15mph, blip throttle and I?m safely in the side road. If I need to stop I can catch it with a dab of brake and drop into first?

I was being close followed and pressed at the point where I felt 40 was fast enough I might enter the deceleration refuge early, using the broken line/cross hatched ?pre refuge? area and then slow with firm braking and a block change to second.

Horses for courses, and I don't think ther's anything there that differs greatly from what the IAM told Leif. I'm observing all the way and matching my speed to hazards but keeping in the gear where I have either power or engine retardation in hand at all times.
Not arguing with what your saying. But the difference is "Letting your speed decay", that is not really engine braking. Engine braking is dropping it a cog or 2 and using the high revs/compression of the engine to slow the car more rapidly.
Not arguing with what your saying. But the difference is "Letting
your speed decay", that is not really engine braking. Engine braking
is dropping it a cog or 2 and using the high
revs/compression of the engine to slow the car more rapidly.

I have to agree. Engine braking is induced by changing to a gear that is far too low for the speed, and hence the engine revs drop dramatically. Also Bromptonaut seems to be describing smooth driving on approach of numerous hazards each requiring a lower speed and hence lower gear rather than seeing one distant hazard and slowing from 5th to 4th to 3rd to 2nd.

The IAM observer did seem to slow and accelerate more rapidly than me, as I tended to prefer to shed speed more naturally. Obviously that approach is more suited to performance driving where haste is required.

Leif
I have to agree. Engine braking is induced by changing to
a gear that is far too low for the speed, and
hence the engine revs drop dramatically.

Think I've been arguing for no reason, as I don't change so the engine ends up screaming, just to the same revs I'd normally change at when the torque runs out (8v so low down)
If using the gears to slow only works on two wheels - and braking works on four wheels, what about me in my Scooby?
--
I knew someone would bring that up!!!!! Sooooooo predictable!!!!!

I guess it would work on all four, still not as contrable imho.
Not arguing with what your saying. But the difference is "Letting
your speed decay", that is not really engine braking. Engine braking
is dropping it a cog or 2 and using the high
revs/compression of the engine to slow the car more rapidly.

I think this is the crux of the matter, and the cause of this discussion. I have been arguing in favour of using the engine as well as the brakes, but I certainly don't do what you describe there. I very much doubt that the other proponents of engine braking on here do either.
Mind you, I would suggest that that is only YOUR definition of engine braking. I would still describe what I do as engine braking, just not as extreme as what you consider the term to describe.
Using gears to slow down - tyro
SO - is the question really

"how many revs is too many revs?"
SO - is the question really
"how many revs is too many revs?"

When the pistons start tapping the valves because the springs cant pull them out of the way in time is a good place to start, but you could always settle for the con rod poking its way out of the block to say hello.

WTM
>> SO - is the question really
>>
>> "how many revs is too many revs?"
>>
When the pistons start tapping the valves because the springs cant
pull them out of the way in time is a good
place to start, but you could always settle for the con
rod poking its way out of the block to say hello.
WTM

:^D

I wouldn't soley engine brake at anything more than 3000 - 3500 on my current car. On the 16v obviously I did a little bit higher.
Using gears to slow down - Leon on Derv
When I took my test I was told by my instructor that your should do the heavy braking early and ease off the pedal, essentially making braking a two stage process. I was also advised to come down through the gears, at first this was 5, 4, 3, 2 handbrake & neutral, then progressed to block changes from 5th to 3rd or 4th to 2nd.

Having undergone intensive driver training at a rally school in both rear wheel drive and four wheel drive, they hammer it into you that braking is a three phase process. Gently bringing the pads onto the disk, increasing the pressure to take the speed off then a controlled release and back on the power, whith an overarching emphasis on smoothness.

Interestingly the technique taught is irrespective of the number of driven wheels or which wheels are doing the driving.

I have become used to slowing down in this way, but for road use, combine it with coming down through the box.

As the rear brakes only do about 20 - 30% of the braking surely it is is better to offer some assistance to the front wheels by using the engine braking effect.

Leon
As the rear brakes only do about 20 - 30% of
the braking surely it is is better to offer some assistance
to the front wheels by using the engine braking effect.

Whatever you do, deceleration is limited by the capability of the wheels to remain rotating and not locking. Modern brakes are quite capable of going beyond this point, and therefore do not need supplementing by engine braking.
--
>> As the rear brakes only do about 20 - 30%
of
>> the braking surely it is is better to offer some
assistance
>> to the front wheels by using the engine braking effect.
>>
Whatever you do, deceleration is limited by the capability of the
wheels to remain rotating and not locking. Modern brakes are quite
capable of going beyond this point, and therefore do not need
supplementing by engine braking.

But if you are in the correct gear then using the engine in this way will make the wheels LESS likely to lock.
If you're staying in 5th for the whole braking procedure and only changing when you come to pull away again then you're either going to have to push the clutch in early, or run the engine down to VERY low revs, at which point it not as effective at stoppiong the wheels from locking.
Using gears to slow down - 007

At the top of a steep hill near where I live there is a sign which reads 'ENGAGE LOW GEAR NOW'.

I wonder why? :o)

At the top of a steep hill near where I live
there is a sign which reads 'ENGAGE LOW GEAR NOW'.
I wonder why? :o)

It's to limit the speed, not to produce a continuing reduction.
--
>>
>> At the top of a steep hill near where I
live
>> there is a sign which reads 'ENGAGE LOW GEAR NOW'.
>>
>> I wonder why? :o)
>>
>>
It's to limit the speed, not to produce a continuing reduction.
--

It's still producing a braking force, in exactly the same manner. It's just that in this case the braking force is counteracted by acceleration due to gravity.
>> >>
>> >> At the top of a steep hill near where
I
>> live
>> >> there is a sign which reads 'ENGAGE LOW GEAR
NOW'.
>> >>
>> >> I wonder why? :o)
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> It's to limit the speed, not to produce a continuing
reduction.
>> --
It's still producing a braking force, in exactly the same manner.
It's just that in this case the braking force is counteracted
by acceleration due to gravity.

I suspect that engaging a low gear at high speed where the revs are ill matched puts far more strain on the box than using a low gear with matched revs for a hill descent. In addition, even if the latter does lead to more wear than using a high gear, is not safety the overriding factor?

Leif
I suspect that engaging a low gear at high speed where
the revs are ill matched puts far more strain on the
box than using a low gear with matched revs for a
hill descent.

But if you read this thread, no-one on here does the former. Everyone who is talking about using the engine to regulate speed in both directions, talks about doing the latter.
In addition, even if the latter does lead to
more wear than using a high gear, is not safety the
overriding factor?

Precisely, therefore being in the right gear at the right time and being able to react that much quicker is the most important thing to me.
Bazzabear: Some people are talking about engine braking which presumably strains and wears the gear train, and some about simply progressively changing down through the gears. I feel that the IAM method improves safety, and is easier, and it is based on being in the optimim gear, but that's my choice. Anyway, I can't reach a conclusion without seeing how you drive in a given situation as words are not enough.

Leif
Anyway, I can't reach a conclusion without seeing how you
drive in a given situation as words are not enough.

If anyone is up for a lift down Marlow Hill in High Wycombe on my way home tonight then let me know!
Using gears to slow down - Sofa Spud
I once knew someone who changed down to first gear by mistake on a motorway and wrecked their engine or gearbox or both.

Cheers, SS
Using gears to slow down - madux
What I can't understand are the signs at the BOTTOM of a hill that say "Select low gear now."
How do they know what you are driving?
I once knew someone who changed down to first gear by
mistake on a motorway and wrecked their engine or gearbox or
both.
Cheers, SS

I can't get my car into first at 20mph never mind 70, someone that depressingly stupid was going to wreck their car one way or another.
Using gears to slow down - Oz
I am one of the committed 'change down to slow down' brigade.
My BMW 320d does 30 mph per 1000 revs in 5th and I just wonder how badly it (or any other modern diesel) would protest if I braked down to 5-10 mph before changing down.
I'm not prepared to find out.

Oz (as was)
Using gears to slow down - tack
Anyone seen the sign coming out of Calais on the motorway towards Boulogne? "Use your engine braking" Instruction or prophesy?
Using gears to slow down - PhilW
"Anyone seen the sign coming out of Calais on the motorway towards Boulogne? "Use your engine braking" Instruction or prophesy?"

Yes ( not far from a similar sign on the N1 which says "Dangerous Declivity - Use your engine braking") there are many on French (and German) motorways which seem to have much steeper and longer hills than ours. I suspect that these are largely aimed at (British/Dutch??) caravans that may be overloaded and are racing south to the sun. In such conditions it is far too easy for caravans to become unstable and it is, in these situations far better to engage 4th or 3rd gear which will keep you at (say) 60 mph rather than using the brakes for a couple of miles ( with the risk of fade?).
On German motorways and in the Alps it is quite common to come up behind trucks on very long hills without brakelights on but only doing about 20 mph - I presume in a low gear. Having said that, I also followed a logging truck downhill in the Black Forest where he kept locking his brakes and there were clouds of smoke coming from both tyres and brakes which was not very reassuring. In a coach once on the Grossglockner Pass in Austria our driver had to stop in a lay-by for half an hour because, despite using his Telmar transmission brake and the exhaust brake, his brakes were also smoking and becoming rather ineffective! In each case I suppose the gears could be or were being used or not in order to "limit speed" rather than in order to "slow down". Whether it also applies to solo modern cars is another matter.
Sorry for long post!
>>My BMW 320d does 30 mph...

I know they come without indicators, but had no idea that BMW had done away with the clutch as well!
Using gears to slow down - Oz
I know they come without indicators, but had no idea that BMW >> had done away with the clutch as well!

H'm. Hints at a strange, 2-legged approach to slowing down ... or coasting ... or something.
I'll stick with the idea of arriving in the gear in which I expect to drive on.
Oz (as was)
More on this.

This weekend I went for an interview for a new (driving) job. Got taken for an assesment drive in a 54 plate daf with a 40 foot box on, and this subject came up. The guy (who admitted that he hadnt driven much for nearly 3 years!) asked me not to blip the gas as I was block changing down, as it wasted fuel. I knew I was doing it, but just a quick blip to match the revs, NOT double de-clutching as I know that causes wear on the synchro rings. so,next time I did it, I dropped 3 gears and dumped the clutch. the whole outfit gave a lurch and a sickening 'urrrrrrrr' came from the clutch/transmission. The assesor said that that was more like it. was this guy for real? I wonder if he drives his own car like that? would he do that in his car if it only had a clutch plate about 4 inches across (all things being relative to the mass of the vehicle)? I refused to argue the point with him, but I didnt bother handing in my completed form, as along with other things I found out (pay, hours etc)I wont be bothering with them.

WTM
NOT double de-clutching as I know that causes wear
on the synchro rings.

Does it? Whoops, I always try and do it to prolong the life of the gearbox...

>> NOT double de-clutching as I know that causes wear
>> on the synchro rings.
Does it? Whoops, I always try and do it to prolong
the life of the gearbox...

Perhaps I didnt make myself clear. double de-clutching is a technique for non synchro (crash) boxes. it doesnt cause wear on a synchro box, other than any change does (if done competently). where the extra wear comes in is that every time you lift the clutch pedal, the synchro rings are working to match 2 differing shaft speeds. so the first set of wear occurs when you dip the clutch and shift to neutral , and then again when you lift the pedal after engaging the desired gear. so you only get one gear change for the price of two. but even so, its a good skill to have. especially if you have a clutch cable/hydraulics that let fly at a bad time-there really isnt a good time-you should have the necessary skill to get you home rather than be stuck for ages.

WTM
Using gears to slow down - PhilW
"the synchro rings are working to match 2 differing shaft speeds"

Correct me if I am wrong (I probably am!) but isn't the point of double de-clutching to match the 2 differing shaft speeds without putting stress on the syncho? I have the pleasure (!) of driving an old MB mini-bus occasionally, on which synchro seems to have gone between 2nd and 3rd and the only way of not crashing the gears is to double de-cluch changing up and down - when changing up it allows revs to drop a bit to a suitable level, and when changing down a quick blip of the throttle is necessary.
Double de-clutching is meant for non-synchro boxes and is a complete waste of time on a synchro box. If you do find yourself needing to do it on a synchro box then its time to visit the garage and get the box looked at or the clutch adjusted/replaced.

Blipping the throttle on down changes is common practice on motorbikes as they have sequential boxes with no synchro.
--
Blipping the throttle on down changes is common practice on motorbikes
as they have sequential boxes with no synchro.

Never thought about bike boxes in that light before.

I learned double clutching in an old 38 ton marathon with an 8 speed 4 over 4 fuller box with a 'stir the pot' shift pattern, durn confusing if you are only used to a car pattern 'H' gate.

But back to what I originally said, this driving assessor who didnt want me blipping the gas during a block downshift would probably have thrown a wobbler at the renault premium I'm driving at the moment. No clutch pedal at all, its a 12 speed auto, but not like a car. put it into drive (or rather, take it out of neutral) and you dot get any drive/creep like a car. you have to rev to about 800rpm before anything happens. then away you go, but takes about 2 second per change as it backs the throttle off electronically and waits for the revs to die before shifting. makes pulling away from 'T' junctions not for the faint hearted as the power cuts off just when you need it most!. Slowing down is another adventure, as if you have the time/space just to coast, it will rev the engine itself for every downshift (just as I was told not too!) until it gets to 2nd low then just drops off drive. makes driving stop/start on a hill a very labour intensive task.

WTM
Isn't blipping the throttle on a down-change standard practice on any vehicle? From the last copy of Roadcraft I had in my hands, it was described as a 'power change down'.
Syncromesh is like a mini clutch, as you push the lever *into* gear, this clutch grips, and brings the shafts to the same speed. Now, if you can bring the two shafts to the right speed by double de-clutching and/or revving, then you make the life of the syncromesh much easier, and longer. So, v8man, I disagree with you.

To replace the syncromesh requires the gearbox to be fully dismantled - it is an expensive job. Therefore, double declutching, and matching the revs prior to selecting a gear saves wear on expensive parts.

On trucks fitted with synchro mesh, because the rotary inertias involved are much larger, you need to be somewhere near with the revs, or the lever will baulk, especially if the gearbox isn't in its first flush of youth. i,e., because the syncromesh hasn't syncronised the gears it won't allow you to go any further, and clash the gears.

Having the revs matched as you bring the clutch up prevents a jolt being put into the entire drivetrain. Getting the revs right as you bring up the clutch pedal results in less wear on the clutch, and smoother progress. Indeed, I understand that the IAM will frown on downchanges with trailing throttle, and mark you down on mechanical sympathy for it.

Incidentally, WTM, I have fond memories of driving trucks with Fuller gearboxes - lightning fast changes, no synchro to hinder and baulk you. The Roadranger, overdrive, boxes, with 3rd and 4th (& 7th/8th) swapped round were 'challenging' if you swapped from a truck with a normal gearchange pattern. Reverse in high range was also a laugh. Did you ever see the inside of one of these 'boxes? The gears that would ordinarily be on the mainshaft, just float. The gear loads from the twin layshafts balance, and the output gear needed no support. Very clever!

number_cruncher

Using gears to slow down - jreg
I drive a front wheel drive car on tarmac stage rallies, and from experience I can say that;

In competition engine braking is used as a supplement to the brakes not as an alternative. It increases braking capabilities, as if you use brakes alone and brake too hard you'll lock the wheels, lose steering and stall the engine.

Often when arriving at a bend too quickly and cocking it up, grabbing an extra gear is the only way of regaining grip and making the bend!

Plus if you use engine braking, as soon as you've reached the right speed to get through the bend, you can start accelerating immediately as your already in the optimum rev range.

In a front wheel drive competition car the brakes are only really effective on the front wheels, the last thing you need is the rear wheels to lock up under braking! As a measure of the lack of rear braking, with the car jacked up and the brakes on full, on our car the rear wheels can still be turned with a spanner.

If you rely on the brakes alone, chances are on a reasonable length stage you will cook the brakes or at least start to suffer from brake fade.

Now the sport is all about getting from A to B as quickly as possible, and engine braking is a must, my times ahave improved no end. However I won;t claim for one minute to be sympathetic on the kit, so don;t recommend extreme usage of it to protect engine and gear box!

James
Incidentally, WTM, I have fond memories of driving trucks with Fuller
gearboxes - lightning fast changes, no synchro to hinder and baulk
you. The Roadranger, overdrive, boxes, with 3rd and 4th (&
7th/8th) swapped round were 'challenging' if you swapped from a truck
with a normal gearchange pattern. Reverse in high range was
also a laugh. Did you ever see the inside of
one of these 'boxes? The gears that would ordinarily be
on the mainshaft, just float. The gear loads from the
twin layshafts balance, and the output gear needed no support.
Very clever!
number_cruncher

LOL! I'd forgotten just how quick off the mark you had to be to work the old fullers! 3rd & 4th swapped was what I meant whith a 'stir the pot' shift pattern. I'd learnt in an early cargo, and the instructor told me not to rush my changes as it wasnt a race. wanna bet? First time out in the old leyland, 1st gear ok. 2nd ok. it all went to pot trying for 3rd. just wouldnt go. so then set off in 3rd, and would it go into 4th? no chance. half an hour later, still not having got out of the yard, I scraped off a few years worth of grease, sweat and nicotine off a manufacturers plate, discovered the 'swap' and never had any probs. yes, all else HAD failed, so I had to read the instructions.

No, I never had the pleasure of poking around inside the boxes. It does sound an unusual construction. no support on the output shaft? wouldnt like to put much power through it.

WTM