Driving an auto - SteveH42
Very quick one here - I'm driving a hire car down to Portsmouth tomorrow and have been told I'm being given an auto. I've never driven one before so does anyone have any hints and tips and general things to look out for. TIA!
Driving an auto - tyre tread
Don't wish to teach grandma to suck eggs but the mistake most people make when they first get into an auto is going for the clutch pedal. Problem is that the brake pedal in an aoto is usually so wide that you hit the brake pedal with your clutch foot and if you've ever tried left foot braking you'll know that the car will stand on its nose and there's a good chance the car behind will visit the boot of your vehicle.

Tuck your left foot under the seator at least behind your right foot at least until you get used to no clutch. If you put it on the footrest you will risk forgetting and going for the clutch.

Apart from that, put your foot on the brake before you start the car, keep it on until you have put it into drive and released the handbrake and just treat the pedals as stop/go.

Generally auto brakes are more sensitive than manuals so be gentle with the brake pedal until you get used to it.

Hope this helps without being too patronising!
I was just about to add that Auto's have a built in "creep" that is that when in gear with foot ppf brake they are meant to creep forward so always keep your foot on the brake when stationary until you have taken the transmission out of "D" drive.
Driving an auto - Avant
Just a couple of things -

1 Don't do anything with your left foot - if the car is badly designed you could hit the brake thinking it's the clutch. Well designed cars have enough room for the left foot to hit nothing if you forget yourself.

2 Keep your (right) foot on the brake when moving from Park or Neutral into Drive or Reverse, then gently lift it off. This avoids a sudden surge forward into the next car (unless it's a Fiat, in which case give it an extra prang for me).
Driving an auto - henry k
All good info above.
In addition a few more suggestions.

Find a quiet spot and have a practice including three point turns. Engine braking in top is almost non existant so sample that too in order to avoid a surprise later on.

When you stop and switch off the engine, if the ignition key cannot be removed then put selector into Park. It is a safety interlock. This will lock the transmission so the handbrake is an extra.

If you are driving the auto for a few days remember when reverting to your manual that after a period of cruising in top you might just forget to dip the clutch when rolling up to a stop. OOOPs I thought I could drive a manual.

Watch the fuel level especially if lots of town driving.

Enjoy!
And remember that the car will not start with the transmission lever in anything but the P or N (Park or Neutral) position - again a a safety feature (which caught me out the first time I drove an auto - nearly called RAC as it wouldn't start - that would have been embarassing!)
Driving an auto - Ian (Cape Town)
If you are driving the auto for a few days remember
when reverting to your manual that after a period of cruising
in top you might just forget to dip the clutch when
rolling up to a stop. OOOPs I thought I could drive
a manual.

I did this the other day in a hire car. Thought I'd 'cracked' this manual driving again - like riding a bike, isn't it? - until I coasted up to the lights on a B-road and realised the car wouldn't go at 30km/h in f-f-f-f-f-fifth ...
Driving an auto - v8man
The handbrake is not an extra! It is a common misconception with auto drivers that Park is a substitute for the handbrake. You wouldn't leave a manual car in gear without applying the handbrake, so why do it in an auto?
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Cheers all, very useful hints and not patronising at all.

Unless you see a thread appering asking for help with an accident claim on a hire car, you can assume I've managed Stockport to Portsmouth and back in safety... :)
Driving an auto - Stuartli
Don't forget that a good auto box will also allow manual changing which can prove very useful on occasions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's for you won't pass you by
Driving an auto - jiwson

when you get back in your manual , dont forget the clutch at the lights!
Driving an auto - frostbite
Only thing which I don't think has been given a mention is kickdown.

If you wish to accelerate, flooring the accelerator rapidly *should* result in a changedown - some will drop two cogs, which is probably not what you or the engine want.

:
:
Who am I? Where am I going? Will I be able to park when I get there?
Driving an auto - David Horn
Yup - my Astra used to redline whenever I attempted a kickdown, used to frighten the life out of me.

If you're on a long descent, pushing the Sports button (if you've got one) will drop the car down a gear and give you some engine braking.
Driving an auto - Stuartli
>>If you're on a long descent>>

One of the points about many auto boxes having a manual facility - handy with an S-Class...:-))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Driving an auto - Happy Blue!
Just swapped cars with a colleague who has broken his leg and cannot drive his diesel manual chocolate bar. So he has my auto CRV and I have his three pedal thing.

Went to bed last night with pains in me left knee. Just twigged. I haven't changed a clutch in months and one that heavy - not in about 15 years.

Now I know why I insist on autos.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Driving an auto - expat
Once you have got used to an auto you won't want to go back to a manual always assuming you have a decent size engine. They are great for any car 2 litres or over. I wouldn't fancy an auto with a little engine though.
Driving an auto - Big John
I remember it was possible to drive the very torquey Ford Zodiac 3.0 using two forward manual gears - forth and overdrive! who needed auto then. Clutch life was a bit iffy though.

Due to my traffic jam laden commute I fancy an auto when I change cars again, fuel economy is an issue though. Toyota Prius??
Driving an auto - Big John
Oops need a spell checker.
Driving an auto - ukjohnny
Take one piece of string or strapping or lace...tie around left ankle..and affix to seat frame, and go for it.
PLEASE remember to remove said strapping on exiting vehicle!!
Gah. Don't talk to me about kickdown.

The ruddy thing was useless. You could have the throttle almost planted and it kept trying to accelerate in top gear, yet when it did kick down it usually took 2 gears and was a right handful to control, having just taken off like a scalded cat.

Conversely, making progress on an A-road, you'd lift off for a corner and the stupid thing would change up, meaning you had no acceleration once you'd got around it...

Not sure how many cogs are in the Focus autobox, but the only options on the lever were 1-2-D and I'd guess it's a 4-speed so I'd really want 3 for that sort of driving.

Never driven on but I like the sound of the Toyota MMT more - auto when you want it, but much easier to change down a cog when you'd prefer to drive like a hooligan.. :p

BTW, something I didn't ever work out the best solution for is what to do when stopped. Unless we were obviously in for a bit of a wait, I just kept it in drive with my foot on the brake, mainly because I quickly found that the handbrake wasn't strong enough to stop it creeping. I guess once I'd got used to the lever I'd have been happier to take it in and out of neutral but I was having to look down at it each time to make sure I was in the right position...
Driving an auto - henry k
Good to have your feedback. Thanks for that.
I am sure others will respond in detail.
Watch this space.