BX 19 diesel - drumming noise at 65 - CG
This one has me foxed, but I'm hoping someone out there has the solution..........

SWMBO reported unusual drumming noise (and it has to be bad for a report from her) at around 60-65mph, which continues up to about 75-80. The noise reverberates right through the car and is a bit wearing after a few minutes. It is not the normal shaking/vibration of an unbalanced wheel, it's at a higher frequency, a booming kind of drone. It's the same in 4th or 5th. Engine as sweet as ever, revving freely and pulling well. Road surface is not the answer - it's the same for all types. Exhaust not blowing. Wondered if a wheel bearing might be going or, alternatively, perhaps a drive shaft? Has only covered just over 70K and has been carefully looked after.

All thoughts from any BX experts out there would be appreciated.

CG
BX 19 diesel - drumming noise at 65 - Reggie
I had a BX t/diesel, great car, and although you say that you don't think it is an out of balance wheel, and may be right, my car did damage at least two back tyres that I know of, one with me and one with my friend who was the former owner. In my case the sidewall developed "blebs" and the tyre slowly went out of balance and proceeded to almost destroy itself, shaking the car quite violently at speeds of 60+.

In both cases it was the back tyres. The fact that it remains constant in 4th and 5th and at speeds of 60+ also suggests to me a possible tyre problem. Does the noise dissapear at speeds over 80? Front wheel bearings usually become noisier when a change of direction is applied, that is in my experience, although it could possibly be back wheel bearings.

You could substitute the spare wheel one corner at a time and see if that makes any difference.

Hope this may be of some help.

Reggie
BX 19 diesel - drumming noise at 65 - Crinkly Dave
Could be balance or a damaged tyre, but also (as the rears last so long)an out of round tyre. Had one of those on a Ford so bad it made the mirrors shake so much the view blurred

CG's advice re swopping the spare around would check on this. The distortion can be visible, but try spinning the wheel against a fixed pointer
BX 19 diesel - drumming noise at 65 - RichardW
CG,

I would start with a close inspection of the tyres as suggested, looking for lumps or flat spots.

I have just had similar problems with my Xantia. I changed a rear tyre that had a flat spot which improved things a bit. I eventually discovered a load of play in a track rod end. Having changed this 99% of the vibration and all the noise has gone. I think a CV joint is on the way out and is causing some vibration, which was being massively amplified by the knackered track rod end.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....