Rear bumper protection - CM
I bought my wife a 96 Audi A4 that was in pristine conditon when I picked it up but now 6 months down the road the rear bumper has been "attacked" on a number of occasions.

Now I know it is my fault buying a car with colour coded bumpers (why do manufacturers insist on doing this?) but is there anything that I can do to protect the paint being stripped off even more?
Rear bumper protection - Mapmaker
[controversial]

Fit a towbar. You'd be amazed how many people won't go near the back of your car if you do. (And if they do...)
Rear bumper protection - PoloGirl
Was just going to say the same thing - does a lot less damage to both cars if someone rolls in the back of you, which is what I assume you mean by "attacked".

Also, don't regret for a second getting coloured bumpers. Audis without them look awful as the black plastic starts to age and look tatty.

erm, the whole point is that it doesn't damage your car (cue discussion about doing damage to the chassis of your car through direct contact through tow bar, rather than using crumple bumpers as intended) but smashes the other person's bumper bar into little pieces.
Rear bumper protection - Cliff Pope
"Rear bumper protection" is surely a contradiction in terms? Bumpers ARE the protection, for the car.

Or you could fit a sturdy metal girder, posibly nicely chromed, with over-riders, and call it a, erm ... "bumper" ?
Rear bumper protection - NowWheels
"Rear bumper protection" is surely a contradiction in terms? Bumpers ARE
the protection, for the car.

I think that was the original idea, but the only bumpers I have ever seen which really concentrated on the protection job were the brilliant plasticy things on the original Renault 5. Plain grey plastic, very robust: scratches didn't matter, and they seemed to just bounce off things when performing touch-sensitive parking.

OTOH, these new glossy painted things have lost the plot about what they are really for.

Rear bumper protection - No Do$h
"Touch sensitive parking"????? LOL

Why not use the tried and tested "sight sensitive parking" instead?
Rear bumper protection - NowWheels
"Touch sensitive parking"????? LOL
Why not use the tried and tested "sight sensitive parking" instead?

Touch-sensitive is what happens when sight-sensitive fails ;-)

I had a Nissan Sunny estate in which I could never figure out how far the back was from things, and did a fair amount of crunch-parking against bollards and things. There are advantages to owning old cars!
Rear bumper protection - L'escargot
"Rear bumper protection" is surely a contradiction in terms? Bumpers ARE
the protection, for the car.

Many many moons ago, a friend ordered a replacement bumper for his Lotus (Elan or Elite?) and it arrived by courier service with the wrapping marked "Fragile ~ handle with care"!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Rear bumper protection - PoloGirl
erm, the whole point is that it doesn't damage your car
but smashes the other person's bumper bar into little
pieces.

No it shatters the other person's number-plate, leaving the bumper intact.

Trust me, I er... know. ;)

depends how fast you er... the missile... is going. :))

This has nothing to do with tow bars, but... Had to get a jump start recently - never did track down the fault, and then the car went! Person who kindly offered came too close and cracked my numberplate. Fortunately didn't crack his own as that would have been expensive. Fortunately my car went before it needed MOTing.
Rear bumper protection - terryb
So don't drive into it! Simple.
Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Rear bumper protection - Deryck Tintagel
Not quite for cars but ... I bought what is effectively thick clear sticky backed plastic sheet to protect parts of my cycle frame. There's not enough to cover a bumper but may be sufficient to protect vital bits. IIRC the company was on off-shoot of Orbit cycles in Sheffield.