Prius mpg on motorways - HandCart

From my usage pattern, a Prius would make good sense for my local journeys (would have to be about 10yrs old though - all I could afford), but also, quite a chunk of my usage is long runs (360+ mile round trips).

I'm interested to know just how many MPG a Prius will truly get on a long steady cruise like that.

The 'Real MPG' section isn't able to provide that level of detail.

The Prius (mk2) is very aerodynamic, but it's heavy, and being pulled along by a non-turbo1.5 litre petrol engine.

Cruising between 56 and 70 mph (and very rarely exceeding 70), I could get 65 to 70 mpg out of previous diesel cars without having to concentrate.
I'm slightly disappointed to find that driving in an even more utterly saintly manner, I'm struggling to crack 60 mpg in my current 1 litre non-turbo petrol car (Sirion).

Hence my question.

Prius mpg on motorways - madf

45mpg or thereabouts on motorway. Petrol engine only, no battery assist.

Prius mpg on motorways - badbusdriver

45mpg or thereabouts on motorway. Petrol engine only, no battery assist.

Exactly, once the battery has run out, which won't take long, it, along with the electric motor, is just deadweight you are carrying along for the ride. For long motorway journeys a Prius would be a poor choice.

TBH I think madf's estimate is possibly a little optimistic.

And I don't feel you should be disappointed by 60mpg in those circumstances from a 1.0 city car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/01/2019 at 12:01

Prius mpg on motorways - V4 Heaven

Exactly, once the battery has run out, which won't take long, it, along with the electric motor, is just deadweight you are carrying along for the ride. For long motorway journeys a Prius would be a poor choice.

The battery on a hybrid such as a Prius/Lexus/Auris will never run out. They charge themselves from the engine and on braking.

Don't confuse these with plug in hybrids where the batteries will run out and will need constant charging from an external power source, ie your domestic electricity supply.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 17/01/2019 at 13:40

Prius mpg on motorways - Engineer Andy

The battery on a hybrid such as a Prius/Lexus/Auris will never run out. They charge themselves from the engine and on braking.

Don't confuse these with plug in hybrids where the batteries will run out and will need constant charging from an external power source, ie your domestic electricity supply.

Still dead weight if all the engine is doing is charging the battery on a long motorway run and not getting much back from regenerative braking. In the OP's case, it really depends on how much non-motorway driving they do - they'll have to calculate what type of engine based on the mpg in each circumstance will offer the cheapest running costs, factoring in the purchase price, depreciation, general maintenance/other running costs and reliability-based costs.

Not easy.

60 mpg in a petrol car, even a 1.0 is good. The only way to increase that when using it on longer journeys is to stick to 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways instead of 70mph.

I managed to get an average of 52mpg out of an old 1.0 Micra (mid 90s) doing about 1/3 town and 2/3 mototrway type driving, but a) other drivers won't like it on the faster roads, and b) with fast roads full of HGVs, it can be quite dangerous in a city car with an HGV a few meters from your rear bumper 'urging you' to go faster. Not so bad with a bigger car, but then with larger/more powerful engines, they tollerate the higher speeds better and their mpg doesn't drop off quite so much. I wouldn't do this again if I were in that situation today - too dangerous.

You may wish to consider amalgamating this discussion on your other thread, given it is essentially the same issue from a slightly different angle:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/127992/reliable-dp...d

Edited by Engineer Andy on 16/01/2019 at 13:15

Prius mpg on motorways - gordonbennet

I agree about the speed issue, i've been driving lorries over 40 years now, and i do not want to play with the lorries at their cruising speeds in my car.

Gordon - I'm wondering about putting rapid-burst-flash yellow LED units on my bootlid, along with a yellow and black stripe strip and the words "Slower Vehicle".

Prius mpg on motorways - edlithgow

Gordon - I'm wondering about putting rapid-burst-flash yellow LED units on my bootlid, along with a yellow and black stripe strip and the words "Slower Vehicle".

Long, long time ago I heard or read of a device which consisted of a spark plug on the tail pipe and some arrangement to cut the ignition, the idea being that the unburned fuel was ignited as it exited the tail pipe, producing an impressive tail-gunning tongue of flame.

Such a thing MIGHT get them to back off a bit, though its maybe not very compatible with the overall fuel-saving objective.

You have to have SOME fun though.

All flint and no skin makes Jack just another stony-broke-bloke.

I agree about the speed issue, i've been driving lorries over 40 years now, and i do not want to play with the lorries at their cruising speeds in my car.

I remember this being a bit fraught in the Yook.

Slipstreaming them close enough to make a big difference to fuel consumption was probably a bit stressful for both parties, especially given they could probably stop quite a lot quicker than me.

Didn't have any close shaves but after a while I decided it wasn't worth it. It seemed to work a bit offset in echelon, but that seemed like it might be classed as avoidable lane hogging.

OTOH, following at safe distance meant another truck doing the same speed would inevitably overtake into that space, so you had to drop back, Rinse and repeat. I dunno why they do this. Maybe they are slipstreaming?

Here there's essentially no concept of vehicle separation and everyone drives on everyone elses tailgate. You get sort of used to it after a while, if you live.

Prius mpg on motorways - Bolt

Here there's essentially no concept of vehicle separation and everyone drives on everyone elses tailgate. You get sort of used to it after a while, if you live.

You have similar road to M25 then, rush hours murder and best avoided if you can, though never heard of anyone gaining anything by slipstreaming and probably sounds better than what it achieves?

Slip streaming a lorry was probably of much greater benefit when cars had the aerodynamics of a house brick.

The roads were much easier going then, a fraction of the traffic volumes, and lorry speeds varied by around 20 mph or more, with some governed to 48 mph and some that would cruise all day at well over 70 mph.

Most lorry drivers don't mind car drivers who run at whatever speed they choose, and nor should they mind, the ones who cause issues/frustration are those who can't keep to a set speed, and when the lorry that has been following them eventually starts to overtake because the car's speed has been steadily dropping, then the car speeds up again so the lorry drops back in behind and the car slows up again...on multi lane motorways this is resulting in the live hard shoulder often becoming a faster lane to travel in, those using the live hard shoulder arn't going to cross 3 lanes to overtake someone doing 10 mph below speed limit in the 2nd lane, as always selfish motorists in all sorts of vehicles have helped cause the changes in road behaviour.

Speed limiters have been a pita for well over 20 years on lorries now, it's only a matter of time before cars get these things, trust me you will not enjoy the experience.

the ones who cause issues/frustration are those who can't keep to a set speed

That irritates most drivers including me when you get someone doing 40mph on the M25, and its happened on M20 usually when there's heavy traffic and no chance of an overtake, M20 will keep away from now its being turned into smart motorway

I suspect they will be smart limiters when they do get them so you don't have to touch the accelerator ;(

Thanks for your replies on both threads Andy.

I'm already driving at 60mph rather than 70, and even 50 where I can get away with it. I often seek an HGV doing 56 and then tag-along behind it. I managed 61 mpg once, but more usually it's more like 52-54.

A lad I know claims his diesel Passat CC does 70mpg when cruising at 80 mph. I'm very sceptical about that figure, but if it's true, then it has me gnashing my teeth.

I'm self-employed and still at the trying-to-grow-my-business stage, so every penny counts.

Can't afford to run 2 cars, nor go the leasing route with my mileage.

Fortunately, recently fuel prices have come down a bit, but not long ago when even supermarket diesel got to over £1.37 a litre, it began to hurt.

As it happened, that's when my diesel car died, so I thought I'd try the "Less chance for big bills simple petrol engine" route.

With pump prices being cheaper for petrol than diesel, I suppose it's costing me only rather fractionally more per mile.

But it's difficult to temper the psychological effect of watching the pump's 'litres dispensed' digits rolling round, by repeatedly chanting the mantra "Yes but I've no DPF or turbo to go wrong, and the EGR shouldn't get as sooty" !!

I'm even weakly considering an LPG conversion.
Any comments?
Yes, that's more to go wrong again, but at least if it does, the car should just revert to normal petrol operation.
I think the conversion cost might be recouped by 2 years, at which point the car would still have less than 100k miles on it.

I'm even weakly considering an LPG conversion.

Any comments?
Yes, that's more to go wrong again, but at least if it does, the car should just revert to normal petrol operation.
I think the conversion cost might be recouped by 2 years, at which point the car would still have less than 100k miles on it.

If you choose the right vehicle to convert, and have suitable well priced LPG supplies on your routes , then LPG is a viable alternative, we've had 3 cars converted, the last one a matter of months ago. www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=home.php

It's not for everyone, careful research of your chosen installer ( local as possible for servicing and any recalibrations etc) and most importantly where to site and what size tank to be installed, boot design and your need of boot space will be an important choice, the bigger the gas tank the more miles you can do between fill ups...the cheapest filling points may not be on your regular routes.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/01/2019 at 11:52

Prius mpg on motorways - John F

Cruising between 56 and 70 mph (and very rarely exceeding 70), I could get 65 to 70 mpg out of previous diesel cars......

....... driving in an even more utterly saintly manner, I'm struggling to crack 60 mpg in my current 1 litre non-turbo petrol car (Sirion).

Clearly roads are for all, but one of the most automotive antisocial behaviours is the skinflint trying to save half-a-pint-of-beer's worth of fuel cruising at an indicated 60- 65mph crawling past a continuous line of artics travelling at a true 57mph. And at every artic elephant race, the crass road hog pulls into the third lane...

'Saintly' ????? The sinful thought of St Bartholomew's fate crosses the mind......

Prius mpg on motorways - Leif

Cruising between 56 and 70 mph (and very rarely exceeding 70), I could get 65 to 70 mpg out of previous diesel cars......

....... driving in an even more utterly saintly manner, I'm struggling to crack 60 mpg in my current 1 litre non-turbo petrol car (Sirion).

Clearly roads are for all, but one of the most automotive antisocial behaviours is the skinflint trying to save half-a-pint-of-beer's worth of fuel cruising at an indicated 60- 65mph crawling past a continuous line of artics travelling at a true 57mph. And at every artic elephant race, the crass road hog pulls into the third lane...

'Saintly' ????? The sinful thought of St Bartholomew's fate crosses the mind......

What an offensive and ignorant post.

I routinely drive at ~60 mph on the motorway. I am usually in lane one, and never hold others up. It's far more relaxing than doing ~80 mph, and getting uptight.

The people who are a menace are lane hogs (nothing do do with being a 'skinflint' as you so offensively describe my driving, lane hogs include people doing 70+) and people who tailgate and dodge in and out of traffic, exit the motorway from lane 3 and so on.

Prius mpg on motorways - Tester

Leif -- I totally agree about the menace posed by those types you mention in your final paragraph but, in fairness, John F was talking about people driving at an indicated 60-65 (i.e. true speed maybe as low as 58) taking the second or even the third lane to pass heavy vehicles doing a true 57 mph. They would then definitely become lane hogs if the road is at all busy, as well as exposing themselves to greater danger by engaging in protracted overtaking when a quick dab of the accelerator would get them out of harm's way.

If you want to do a (true) 60 mph in lane 1 so that you're not getting in the way of lorries going about their business, then no-one should have any problem with that.

Edited by Tester on 16/01/2019 at 16:49

If you want to do a (true) 60 mph in lane 1 so that you're not getting in the way of lorries going about their business, then no-one should have any problem with that.

Only those doing 70 in lane one that have to slow down for said motor if traffic is heavy, causing the Mexican wave effect in slowing everyone down in all lanes, rather annoying because of one driver !...

not that they see that of course;)

Prius mpg on motorways - John F

....... exit the motorway from lane 3 and so on.

Over the Armco? Bit risky.

I can’t make head nor tail of that. I was referring to drivers who are in lane three on approaching a junction, they then sweep across lanes one and two and onto the exit road, often passing through small gaps between cars in a lane.

I think you mean the chevrons on the road. The Armco is the corrugated metal safety barriers making up the central reservation and some side areas.

This sort of idiotic manouvre:

youtu.be/b3EeQRP5VKU

Someone did this to me at the A41/M25 junction about 20 years ago. Scared the living **** out of me at the time, given I was driving a Micra at the time which wasn't exactly the safest car on the road in a crash.

I think you mean the chevrons on the road. The Armco is the corrugated metal safety barriers making up the central reservation and some side areas.

This sort of idiotic manouvre:

youtu.be/b3EeQRP5VKU

Someone did this to me at the A41/M25 junction about 20 years ago. Scared the living **** out of me at the time, given I was driving a Micra at the time which wasn't exactly the safest car on the road in a crash.

That's exactly the sort of idiocy I was referring to, though they don't have to drive over chevrons, just sweep across multiple lanes at the last minute.

John, you'll see that I wrote that I try to find a lorry doing 56 mph and then I tag along behind it.

I thus am not in anyone doing 70 's way, other than the extra 25 feet or so behind the lorry that they would have to move out to overtake anyway.

If I wish, or require, to overtake a lorry, I use my mirrors (cunning, eh?), and, based on whether there is other upcoming traffic or not, I either overtake quickly, or slowly.

I never ever lane-hog.

Whoever it is that you're getting angry about, it isn't me.

I'm not exactly a skinflint, merely one of the current group that are only "Just About Managing", because my business doesn't (yet?) yield big profits whilst at the same time I don't qualify for any government support whatsoever.

I never ever lane-hog.

Whoever it is that you're getting angry about, it isn't me.

I'm not exactly a skinflint, merely one of the current group that are only "Just About Managing", because my business doesn't (yet?) yield big profits whilst at the same time I don't qualify for any government support whatsoever.

I AM exactly a skinflint, and not ashamed of it in the least. Skinflints save the planet.

Because I'm a skinflint, I don't use the motorways here very often (freeways in local US-stylee English and logic), because they arent free.

Last time I did, late at night, with very little traffic and doing the indicated speed limit, I got an HGV sitting a few metres behind me "encouraging" me to go faster. Unfortunately I did and for a while thought I'd blown a head gasket.

That isn't going to happen again. Next time I'll grit me teeth and the ****** can pass me.

Passing isn't always an option though. I use expressways (like freeways but actually free) here quite often which have very long single lane connecting slip roads. I do the posted limit on these too, and I'm not popping the head gasket on my ancient 3-cylinder so some Porsche Cayenne pilot with the standard issue sense of entitlement can get home from the golf range quicker.

**** them. They can b***** wait.

I suppose that might be lane hogging, in which case...

OINK!

Prius mpg on motorways - SLO76
Although the Prius is very robust any vehicle with a battery power pack will see degradation of the power pack over time and replacement is cripplingly expensive. The Toyota is the best on the market and even ten year old cars command £6k upwards with sensible mileages but the mechanically identical Auris 1.8 Hybrid uses the same engine and running gear but costs less to buy so you should find one a coupe of years younger with less miles for the same money.

That said and assuming a limited £6k budget I still would advise remembering these three words... keep it simple. You are shopping with modest resources and the best way to find reliability and economy is to forget complicated hybrids or turbo diesels and instead stick with a more sensible and newer petrol engined supermini such as a 1.33 Yaris instead. Genuine 55-60mpg economy, £30 road tax if you get the right model, a bit of pep with 99bhp and bulletproof chain driven engine with simple manual gearbox and little in the way of complexity. £6-£6.5k is enough to get a good low mileage 15 plate rather than a decade old Prius that won’t even match its economy on the motorway.
Prius mpg on motorways - colinh

Can't help with the Prius, but had a couple of Auris Hybrids which the same drive-train but a less efficient body. Over three-year period for each, the first one on 15"steel wheels averaged 54+ mpg, whilst the second on 17" alloys averaged 51+ mpg. 90% of the motoring was on cruise control at 70 mph on Spanish motorways.

Now have a Kia Niro hybrid (dct gearbox a vast improvement over the Toyota CVT) which is averaging 58 mpg for the same type of motoring

(P:S. if the Toyota is serviced by dealers you can build-up a 10-year on the hybrid drivetrain)

Edited by colinh on 16/01/2019 at 23:51

Prius mpg on motorways - Big John

Re LPG. I've considered myself in the past but haven't for a few reasons:-

• Bad valve recession with SOME engines (this is the reason some installers have stopped doing it)
  • You don't save quite as much as you think (Lower calorific value &real life mpg is even lower)
  • Tank size is usually small so you have to plot routes with multiple fill-ups to keep running on gas
  • The number of fuel stops with LPG is reducing - Many have vanished in my area alone
  • Even though there are proven environmental benefits - the government decided against this technology in favour of diesel back in 2000/2001 so any tax breaks were eroded

It should be noted LPG is alive and well in other countries. It's a shame as there is a great kit for direct injection petrol cars that directly injects LPG as liquid through the direct injectors. Due to the cooling of evaporation inside the cylinders this also minimises valve recession.

Edited by Big John on 17/01/2019 at 12:10

It should be noted LPG is alive and well in other countries. It's a shame as there is a great kit for direct injection petrol cars that directly injects LPG as liquid through the direct injectors. Due to the cooling of evaporation inside the cylinders this also minimises valve recession.

Very popular in Australia with diesels as a fuel supplement rather than replacement.

Claimed to give significantly more power/economy and cleaner running.

I suggested it on the (sadly now apparently defunct) Bangernomics Forum to someone who was thinking of fitting a turbo to an old Merc Diesel saloon, ( which would be a big job since no LHD turbo model existed).

There were links and stuff, but I don't think they understood what I was on about, and its all gone now.

Internyet fugit, Y'know?

Prius mpg on motorways - skidpan

I'm interested to know just how many MPG a Prius will truly get on a long steady cruise like that.

Not a Prius but a work colleague had an Auris Hybrid estate as his company car. I went out with him a couple of time and found it to be a tiresome noisy car on motorways and he agreed. Said it was fine in town and much cheaper as a company car than his previous diesel.

As for mpg on motorways if he drove at a steady 60 mph he could just about get into the mid 50's. At the time I had a 1.4 TSi 140 PS Seat Leon and driving at a genuine 70 mph on motorways it would do the low 50's, now have a Skoda Superb 1.4 TSi 150 PS and on motorway trips at a genuine 70 mph that car will do the mid 50's. If I dropped to 60 mph like the colleague I would no doubt improve my mpg and comfortable beat the hybrid with both cars.

Based on my experience as a passenger I would not want a Toyota Hybrid. The fact that they are no better than a modern small turbo petrol on fuel puts me off before I add in the annoyance of the noisy engine/CVT transmission and lack of performance.

Kia hybrids using a DCT gearbox may be a better drive but they will still have no mpg advantage over a non hybrid on motorways.

Prius mpg on motorways - MGspannerman

I had the model of Prius that the OP refers to. I used it to commute 112 miles (round trip) most days which included a substantial run on the M40. I did 100k+ miles in it and it averaged 53-55mpg despite my less than relaxed driving style. It was very reliable although I did suffer a short circuit between the low and high tension that took some sorting, and a wheel bearing went at 66k. Other than that very reliable and cheap enough to run.

However not particularly comfortable to drive. A little underpowered and the rubber band effect with the engine revving whilst road speed catches up was unpleasant. However I found the driving position awful. After two hours I suffered pain across the shoulders that I put down to being 6'4" and having the seat well back, whilst the steering wheel only went up and down with no in/out movement resulting in a round shouldered driving posture.

I have a recent Polo with a three pot one litre turbo charged engine, it’s efficient. One run gave me over 80 mpg for a 41 mile motorway journey according to the computer, so probably 75 mpg in reality. I don’t have the dead weight of batteries and electric motors. About town it’s not bad too thanks to stop start. Safe as well. Not sure if there are any old cars that compare. Aren’t these hybrids designed to attract tax breaks despite rarely using the electric motors?

I wonder how (or if) LPG supplementation would coexist with DPF technology?

Seems possible it would ameliorate some of the generic problems.

Have I just saved the diesel Range Rover?

Maybe my JLR cheque is in the post?

Prius mpg on motorways - craig-pd130

Ha! As you suggest, it should raise EGTs without creating much extra soot, so it should be good for passive regeneration of the DPF without the need to post-inject diesel.

Unfortunately, the cost and hassle of fitting and refilling would make it unworkable. Nice idea, though.

What JLR really need to do is install a glow-plug or two in the DPF to start coking the soot when needed, rather than relying on all the post-injection gubbins. Some commercial vehicles use the glow-plug approach, I believe.

What JLR really need to do is install a glow-plug or two in the DPF to start coking the soot when needed, rather than relying on all the post-injection gubbins. Some commercial vehicles use the glow-plug approach, I believe.

At some cost mind, one chap on another forum was quoted a mere £11,000 for a new exhaust his quite run of the mill hgv, he managed eventually to find one for a bargainous £8,000.

Most of these fleet lorries are now leased, previous recent generations of defleets were often exported to Africa @ 5 years, and i have no doubt half the electronics were removed on arrival, it would be interesting to really know what happens to these vehicles once exported and just how basic they can be made again, or are the current generations going to be too complicated to be worth bothering with.

Hino, in a large part owned by Toyota appear not to have bothered with Euro 6 and have dropped off the European radar as new vehicle suppliers, still going strong in rest of the world, so Africa isn't going to run out of tough durable vehicles anytime soon.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/01/2019 at 09:05

Ha! As you suggest, it should raise EGTs without creating much extra soot, so it should be good for passive regeneration of the DPF without the need to post-inject diesel.

Unfortunately, the cost and hassle of fitting and refilling would make it unworkable. Nice idea, though.

As I understand it from the description on here, JLR have a new, big-ticket flagship product that is broken-by-design and can't be fixed.

In THAT context, the "cost and hassle" of fitting LPG supplementation is small beer. Free to the customer, natch, offering greater fuel economy and reliability, subsidise the gas distribution and pricing, if necessary, and get lobbying (call-girls, fact-finding trips to Keralia, etc, etc) for some govt concessions.

After all, they make hybrids, which are a fairly elaborate non-solution to a much less serious problem.

Technologically there doesn't seem much to it. At its simplest, the control comes from the diesel, so the gas could just provide a cooking base-load equivalent to idle and would'nt need controlled at all.

I suggested in the original turbo-substitute thread that they could probably get a feel for it just by plonking a propane cylinder in the passenger footwell and routing gas into the air intake, but I suppose DPF diesels havn't devalued to the point where owners would be comfortable with punk-tech improvisations.

(From a warranty perspective, though, it would leave no trace, apart from maybe a burst propane cylinder in your burnt out shell.

And maybe a few shrapnel scars.)

Wouldn't dilute the sump oil either.

Just before coming to Taiwan I bought a 40 quid diesel Maestro to run illegally on kerosene, not realising that THE MAN had banned the bulk sale of kerosene six months earlier. The pumps were still there but they didn't deliver.

Really liked it, and it'd be perfect for this kind of thing, but my brother scrapped it a long time ago.

Have to content myself with a butane-bleed choke substitute on my petrol car, which works fine.

I already have a shrapnel scar so that isn't a big concern.

Prius mpg on motorways - expat

Very popular in Australia with diesels as a fuel supplement rather than replacement.

Claimed to give significantly more power/economy and cleaner running.

I am in Australia and I use LPG however it is not popular any more. Ford used to sell a dedicated model of their Falcon with LPG which was popular especially with taxis. That is no longer on the market and there are no new cars running lpg. Conversions were also popular especially about ten or twelve years ago when the government offered large subsidies. That is gone too and I don't think that there are many installers doing conversions these days. It is getting harder to find filling stations selling gas. Many places have taken their gas tanks out when they became due for the ten year testing and recertification. I still use it and just filled up today at A$0.79 a litre. It certainly runs cleaner and my oil is still honey coloured after 10,000km. As for power I haven't noticed any drop however I have a 4lt DOHC motor so I seldom use the full power.

Thanks for all the replies folks - plenty to think about. Looks like the small capacity petrol turbo will be the way to go, for my usage.

I'm partway there; just need the turbo (!), will keep monitoring for when they drop into my budget.

Prius mpg on motorways - mcb100
I appreciate it’s a different car, but the technology is similar, in running a Honda CR-V Hybrid at the moment, just ahead of its launch next month. The hybrid system is equivalent to Toyota generation 4, fitted to curren Prius and CHR. I’ve done 1100 miles this week, mostly motorway with the cruise set at no more than 73mph, and it is currently showing an average of 40.6mpg. Not strictly relevant, but will hopefully give you an idea of motorway mpg with a petrol/electric hybrid.