Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - tpg
Are there any cars out there that normally run in two wheel drive but can be switched to four wheel drive for the occasional bad weather days. This would avoid the cost of permanent four wheel drive. Or has development over the years brought better economy for the 4x4 car? Is there much difference now in running costs?
Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - NARU
Are there any cars out there that normally run in two wheel drive but can be switched to four wheel drive for the occasional bad weather days. This would avoid the cost of permanent four wheel drive. Or has development over the years brought better economy for the 4x4 car? Is there much difference now in running costs?

Yes - there are loads of them - most of the 'soft roaders'

Yes - it provides better economy

They are perfect for many people. But there is still a need for a 'full fat' 4x4 for other people's needs.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - Dwight Van Driver

Had an 04 Nissan Xtrail ( luverley motor) that had the option 4 or 2.

Presume they continued this.

dvd

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - oldtoffee

My Santa Fe is 2wd most of the time and only slips into 4wd when needed which isn't very often at all. Last winter we drove to Austria for a week's skiing. I had four good quality winter tyres on but still expected to need the 4wd when it got seriously snowy south of Munich and into Austria. I felt it kick in once (its a bit clunky so you know when it happens) on a very steep hill on a tightening bend when one of the front wheels slipped. The rest of the time the 2wd and the winter tyres were enough to give me great traction when I'd have sworn I would have needed 4wd. A friend flew down and hired an Octavia with winter tyres on and that went everywhere I did with no fuss. I do use my lockable 4wd for getting in and out of fields with a trailer where 2wd doesn't pull me out.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - RT

The advantage of part-time 4wd, for on-road use, is that the change from 2wd to 4wd is gradual and automatic - the system's electronics decide what proportion of torque to sent to each axle, usually between 100:0 front:rear and 50:50, based on the grip available at each axle. Most part-time 4wd systems have a 50:50 "lock" facility for when it's really slippy.

There is still a weight/fuel penalty because the extra kit is always there even when not being driven.

If it's primarily for winter time then it should be remembered that a 2wd on winter tyres will do better than a 4wd on normal tyres - they can stop as well as go!

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - tpg

Thanks but which cars have part time 4wd I'm struggling to identify them.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - oldtoffee

>>>Thanks but which cars have part time 4wd I'm struggling to identify them.

Most of them are part time 4wd, very few current cars are permamnent or all wheel drive (Subaru are, not sure who else.) So Audi, BMW, Citroen, Dacia, Ford, Fiat, Hyundai, Honda, Jeep, Kia, Mazda, Skoda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, VW, Volvo all have models that feature part time 4wd. I've missed a few out. Some work better than others and have additional off road functionality such as downhill braking, low ratios but if you're looking for a car for the UK winters all of them if fitted with winter or of road tyres depending on what you need will do a good job. Dacia Duster hard to beat for value and 4wd ability.

Not sure about Daihatsu, some Land Rovers.

Are you looking to buy new or used? What budget? SUV or car/estate preferred? Economy very importsant?

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - TeeCee

You'll struggle harder to find something that's permanent 4x4 these days.

Most products out there eschew a "real" centre diff in favour of a cheaper Haldex clutch or similar. The vehicle then automatically engages drive to the second set of wheels as required, rather than you switching it manually.

Most 4x4 products these days spend the majority of their time as conventional front or rear drive vehicles.

I ran a Skoda Octavia 20v Turbo 4x4 as a fleet car when I was in CZ. That was Haldex based and the only hint that there was something going on was the fearsome levels of additional grip available on demand, which was very noticeable in a Czech winter or while indulging in the "Traffic light grand prix" in the damp.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - MokkaMan

Pickups tend to have the option to switch to both high and low ratio 4WD (but they are a fairly heavy duty solution). Most SUV's tend to have 4WD that switches on when grip is being lost - this is much better for fuel economy

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - groaver

You'll struggle harder to find something that's permanent 4x4 these days.

For permanent 4WD it should be a Subaru or a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - Collos25

Having owned both cars they both have a lever which says 2wd 4wd.

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - groaver

Owning one and having test driven a Forester 2 months ago. No they did/do not!

Edited by groaver on 17/07/2013 at 18:19

Unknown - Part time four wheel drive - gordonbennet

We bought an Outlander 1 partly because its permanent 4WD, similar set up to Subaru.

Its more or less Mitsi's version of Forester, no low range simple straightforward full time 4WD mated to a lovely smooth auto box....its heavy on fuel (23 average) but fortunately its LPG'd, i would not consider one of these if petrol only and the later Diesel model didn't come with TC auto option.

I don't particularly like 4WD when the machine thinks its needed, either user switchable or perm for me.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/07/2013 at 21:36