VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - loughrigg lad

The ideal replacement car for my wife would be a VW Golf Automatic but having read so many "horror stories" from owners about the problems encountered with DSG transmissions we decided to locate and drive one ourselves and, yes, there was hesitation then "kangaroo jump" etc. We see that VW has now extended its warranty on DSG in China Autralia and America to 5 years.

So why-

(1) Did VW manage to make such a monumental mistake?

(2) Did VW fail to acknowledge and rectify the problems in the UK

(3) Do motoring writers and reviewers so rarely test cars with automatic boxes? We do not know whether VW has resolved all the problems and fitted a trouble-free DSG box in the new Golf Mk7 or not? We have found that it's no good talking to VW Dealers because according to all the ones we have spoken to "there are and have never been any problems with DSG transmissions in VW cars"!

Honesty from one of the world's most successful and largest vehicle manufacturers would be like "a real breath of fresh air"

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - RT

VAG aren't the only manufacturer to attract complaints from owners about DSG jerks - I know of two people who bought Ford Powershift models and got their money back as "unfit for purpose" - but of course officially no-one has ever complained!

I doubt that DSGs or automated manuals will ever be as smooth as the torque converter type - I'll stick with the tried and tested type - if people can't afford the small (nowadays) increase in fuel consumption of a "proper" automatic they can always downsize.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - gordonbennet

1. Like other makers thay had to rush out an automatic transmission that was more fuel efficient than the traditional auto, meaning better fuel figures and slightly lower VED bandings, no automated manual is proving reliable or pleasant to use, the jury is still out on other makes dual clutch efforts.

2. Unlike Toyota they don't have a hostile media waiting to pounce on every mistake they make. Unlike Toyota they don't admit or apologise for their mistakes or put them right, this applies to most other makers too.

3. Most motoring hacks worship at the VW altar so i take their views on VW products with a large pinch, cars they drive are either brand new or if issued to them are only kept for a few months, the cheapest 70's strike built rubbish could last 12k miles so its of no practical long term assessment.

Mk 7 is too new to know how good it will be but does it matter to the core buyers if its no better?, so long as it lasts 3 years or if it fails within 3 years they fix it under warranty, the typical buyer will simply buy a mk8 replacement anyway, what happens after warranty expires is of no interest to the new car buyer or some makers.

''We have found that it's no good talking to VW Dealers''

they're hardly going to highlight or admit the failings of their product, same goes for other high image makers, witness some seriously good acting talent behind service desks.

If you want honesty and good long term customer care trot along to your Toyota/Lexus dealer, preferably a family owned one.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/03/2013 at 10:19

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - madf

GB

+1

Anyone reading abck to back tests of cars will see the anti Toyota Bias.

Autoexpress managed to test a Verso vs a Reanult Scenic, never once mentioned "reliability" and voted the Scenic best...

The words "unrealistc unwordly poc" spring to mind...

tinyurl.com/cfd3ng5

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - boba

My daughters car is a VW Golf TSi with a DSG gearbox (2009) so it is out of warranty. It has a full service history. The gearbox has just developed a major fault, missing gears etc and also lacking power, maybe also a turbo failure, all at the same time.

We are told by a local VW dealer that she may require a complete new gerbox and turbo unit. As yet we don't know any costs but it is likely to be very,very expensive to fix. It has yet to undergo full technical inspection which she will have to pay for and then wait to see whether VW will give goodwill towards the cost of replacement, which we are told would be matched by the local dealer. At the moment we have no idea what will happen.

i am very curious if there have been many such problems with the DSG gearbox in the UK why this has not been fully picked up on by the press. It seems to me that the problem may be being swept under the carpet and a RECALL as in other countries should be beong considered if this is a problem.

i would be very keen to hear views from any other VW owners who have had similar problems. I don't know where to go to find out any other details of complaints but would appreciate any constructive advice.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - Armitage Shanks {p}

Problems noted world wide tinyurl.com/l5hn9g5

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - RT

Both the car media and consumer legislation seems to be much weaker in the UK than in other parts of the world - anyone involved with international car forums will recognise that when an issue arises across all markets, then it's the UK importer/manufacturer that's last to even acknowledge an issue - often long after recalls have been issued in other parts of the world.

It's not limited to VW but the DSG issue is a good example.

Manufacturers/importers give jack s*** for UK customers - and don't we know it.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - 659FBE

The UK is the one country in the world in which the VAG importer imposes a 4 year limit on cambelt life, in complete contradiction with the printed service information provided with the car. It's a wonderful cash cow for the dealers, with the customers hooked on new car "love" and a dose of "fear factor" at the thought of belt failure. Judging by the number of practically unworn belts being discarded by the dealers - it works. There is no doubt that VAG Wolfsburg know all about this.

The Brits are stupid enough to swallow this hook line and sinker. Try doing this in the USA.

I'm a VAG customer but also a realist. I have also been fortunate enough to have been educated at public expense, in engineering matters.

The DSG is a high risk technical venture with very real possible gains when coupled to high torque prime movers. As a potential customer, one needs to assess the risk of this product as compared (say) with a slushbox auto or a manual transmission. Then there is the matter of supplier integrity and backup.

It is in this last category that I consider VAG most wanting. The organisation comes nowhere close to meeting my standards of trading integrity, so the prospect of purchasing a high risk product from them is completely off my radar.

As a VAG customer, I made two deliberate choices: buy a "safe product" (1.9 PD with 5 speed manual transmission) and avoid their backup network - completely.

I have a potentially long lasting, comfortable and cheap to maintain Skoda Superb as a result - so far, very good. VAG has its good side, but caveat emptor.

Edited by 659FBE on 15/06/2013 at 11:54

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - Dutchie

There could be some truth regarding the UK market for aftercare.Maybe we should be driving on the right like the rest of Europe saves the manufacturer changing steering wheel and pedals.

VW has massive sales in China that is where they make the money I would think.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - unthrottled

There could be some truth regarding the UK market for aftercare.

Which is understandable since we pay less for new cars than most other European countries. The British consumer expects a discount on everything and this can only be achieved through smoke and mirrors.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - unthrottled

It's a relevant point. The issue with DSG isn't so much the fact that a proportion of them have faults, but that the manufacturer has a less sympathetic response to British consumers than in other countries. Other countries pay more for their cars and get a better service.

VW Golf - Automatic Transmissions - EAP
I have just had a very similar problem with a four year old car with 47000 miles on the clock. Am awaiting a response from VW, please can you tell me what the outcome of your problem was? It may help in my case.