Does accident damage have to be repaired through an insurance claim to maintain a car's warranty?

My husband had an accident that dented the bumper of the car in front. The driver of the car has said that the repair has got to go through the insurance to maintain the warranty on the car. Is this statement correct?

Asked on 11 September 2017 by Alison-CS

No, the repair doesn't need to go through an insurance claim to maintain the warranty. However, the first question should be whether the vehicle has a manufacturers warranty. Under block exemption regulations, as long as the vehicle body repairer fixes the vehicle with the manufacturer's paints and uses the manufacturer's methodology of repair, then the manufacturer has to maintain the warranty.