WIN: A bundle of Christmas prizes, worth more than £1500 Click here to enter today  | No thanks

My new car was delivered in bad condition - can I reject it?

I bought a new Jeep Renegade via Carwow. Firstly, it was driven to my home, from the dealer, which I have since noted is some 240 miles away. This was never discussed. Bad enough but it the actual mileage was 323 on delivery. Secondly, the driver had been smoking. I took the car out to get fuel as it was delivered empty and the smell started making me feel sick. My husband saw the car and not only smelled the smoke but pointed out the ash in the drivers seat and where the ash had been flicked out of the window. On closer inspection it was evident he had put food in the cup holder, leaving pastry and a sticky mess. I've asked them to come take the car away and have not driven it since I brought it home from the garage (20 mile round trip). They offered to pick it up and valet it but there are other issues such as a wonky dealer stick put on the paintwork and bumps on the dashboard as though screws underneath are close to the surface. I am sickened by all of this. Getting a new car is meant to be exciting. Am I within my rights to tell them to pick it up and refund me? Should I cancel my DDM? A reasonable sized deposit was paid, the balance financed. I have rejected the offer to repair but feel I am being mucked about a week since delivery. The Finance company has been told of the issues.

I didn't get the original model I opted for so not exactly sure what discount I got. I can see that 17 plate Renegades for less than I paid already available for sale...albeit "pre-owned" I have read purchase warnings on those!!!

I copied Car Wow into my complaint to the Dealer. They have remained silent on the matter. Such a huge disappointment.

Asked on 21 April 2017 by Lesley Wilkie

That's disgusting. And you should put in a complaint to Carwow. But you obviously bought it via Carwow to get a massive discount on it. So, by attempting to reject it [from the dealer, rather than CarWow] at this juncture, you might cut off your nose to spite your face. Think carefully.

UPDATE:
Carwow has now responded to this as follows: "Our Customer Service team have discussed the issues with the customer to clarify the situation. On doing so, the relevant Account Manager for Jeep has been liaising with the dealer in question. The current situation is that the dealer is collecting the customer's car, via vehicle transporter, to assess the condition of the vehicle and valet and/or repair as required. The dealer is also offering a goodwill gesture to the customer for the inconvenience. Hopefully this will lead to a positive resolution from an unfortunately poor delivery experience. I would expect the customer to advise as/when they are happy with the resolution."