What car would you recommend for high mileage, mainly motorway driving, on a £9000 budget?

What car would you recommend for 25,000 miles a year, mainly motorway driving? I have had Audi and Mercedes-Benz in the past but found that the rate they go through tyres makes them too expensive. I intend to downsize but could do with a bit of space. I don't want to spend more than about £9000. My choices are the Ford Mondeo 1.6 ECOnetic, Ford Focus 1.6 Eco, Volkswagen Passat 1.6 Bluemotion. Diesel of course and, although I prefer automatic, manual is more economic. My sister has a Citroen C4 Cactus and says the fuel economy is brilliant. Any suggestions?

Asked on 9 February 2017 by kevin duignan

Far better, a Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC because it's chain cam and more economical (60mpg +). Tyre life will depend on your wheel and tyre size, but on 205/55 R16s you should get 30,000 miles from a set if you swap the wheels back to front, same side, after 15,000 miles.