What is the best, economical commuting car for £5000?

I just started a new job in which I'm doing 120 miles a day, mostly motorway, five times a week. What would be the most economical car to commute and what kind of mpg can I get? I can spend around £5000, stretching to a max of £6000.

120 a day is 600 a week which, subtracting two weeks holiday, is 30,000 miles a year. That's a lot. Means a diesel. You'll probably do best with a Kia Cee'd or Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI. A Toyota Auris hybrid might do the job. These are all potentially 60mpg cars with low maintenance chain cam engines.