Should I run my 2014 Focus into the ground or sell it while it's still got some value?

My 2014 Ford Focus already has about 61,000 miles and I'm considering whether I should sell and buy a used or new car, or run the Focus into the ground instead. Fuel efficiency hasn't been great as it's an automatic petrol (40mpg). I go about 120 miles on the motorway on normal working days and, for a family with two little ones, it's starting to feel a little tight with space with the kid's car seats. I'm not a keen on a manual or diesel car, but would consider either automatic petrol or petrol/hybrid. Any suggestions?

Asked on 6 March 2020 by Kay

It sounds like your family's outgrowing the Focus. I'd be tempted to upgrade while it's still got some value. Don't dismiss diesels - they make a lot of sense for 120 motorway miles a day. I'd be looking for a diesel crossover SUV like a Skoda Karoq - it'll be very practical, efficient and comfortable for motorway driving. Also consider a Peugeot 3008 or, if you'd prefer an estate, perhaps a Ford Focus Estate or Kia Ceed Sportswagon.