Hyundai i30 (2012 - 2017)

1.6 Active 120 Auto 5dr Hatchback

reviewed by Alan Massey on 25 January 2021
Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Good practical and reliable car

I have had this car for 8 years, it drives well and apart from services, new tyres/wiper blades has not had a spanner on it. Even with 70000 miles on the clock it is still very quiet and smooth.
Compared with our other car, a Toyota Yaris automatic, it has more refinements. I particularly like the 6 speed automatic dual clutch box which is very smooth and makes for easy driving. It also has a hold function on hills, a feature which the Yaris does not have. The Yaris has a CVT auto box which is poor in comparison to the i30's
The interior is showing small signs of wear scuffs etc but the carpets still look good.
The body has no signs of rust I just wish they had put a bump side strip as I have a few dints and small dents on the body due to careless supermarket shoppers, a common problem these days!!
Test drove the later model with the 1.4 turbo engine, not impressed compared to my 2013 model. I found the auto box was constantly changing ratios and seemed not to be well matched to the engine unlike my 1.6 naturally aspired engine. My i30 is well made and a practical car so I have decided to hold onto it for a couple more years!
As a postscript I would like to comment on my experience with the two Hyundai main dealers that I have had contact with in Cumbria. Don't go near them !!! I have had bad experiences with both of them re servicing my i30 In one case I was charged for materials not use in the second, with a different dealer, they tried to add jobs they said needed doing but on inspection were not needed!!
I will now stick to independent garages. I have written to Hyundai as their dealers here are really letting them down. Their cars are good but local dealers rubbish.

Report as offensive