What crossover should we get for £22,000 after our 2006 Honda Civic?

We're looking at changing our 2006 1.8 i-VTEC Honda Civic for a new crossover and would appreciate your view. Most journeys are 5 miles or less, with longer motorway runs several times a year, so we're looking at petrol and manual to keep long term. Budget is about £22,000, and on the short list so far: Honda H-RV (SE), Kia Sportage ("2") and Suzuki S-Cross SX4 (SZ5).

We've ruled out the Seat Ateca, Toyota C-HR, Hyundai Tucson and the Suzuki Vitara S (as we prefer the S-Cross SZ5 with the same engine). Are there any others we should seriously consider, like the Mazda CX-5, or the 2017 Peugeot 3008? Both the Honda (engine/gearing for motorway use) and the Kia (fuel economy looks poor?) seem to have down sides so we're not sure which way to go.

Asked on 30 December 2016 by S mbrose

Not a Honda HR-V 1.5 i-VTEC manual. Needs the 1.8 i-VTEC and doesn't get it. The KIA Sportage 1.6 T GDI GT is brilliant, but about £4000 over budget. I can't stand the sight of the hideous Suzuki S-Cross and can't see the point of it. I'd go for the Vitara S 1.4 T BoosterJet any day. The SEAT Ateca with 1.0 TSI or (better) the 1.4 TSI is actually very good to drive. The Toyota C-HR 1.2 iVVTI has the best ride and handling of any SUV on the planet. A Hyundai Tucson is the same thing as a KIA Sportage with different styling. New Mazda CX-5 coming next year so better to wait. A Peugeot 2008 GT with the 1.2 PureTech 130 engine, 6-speed box and Grip Control drives and rides better than a Vitara S. The 3008 with the same powertrain is a bit over budget. But well under budget is a Dacia Duster 1.2 TCe 125 4x4 at £14,895 (+£450 if you want satnav). Most if not all are comprehensively tested at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/