Photographer in need of a large estate

I am a photographer based in London and in need of a new vehicle to carry my kit and (sometimes) clients. This will also be the family motor. Ideally, I'd like a vehicle that handles well and has a bit of poke. I am considering Mazda 6 estate 2.2 SkyActive 175 and BMW X3 20d SE (2013 so probably higher mileage example).

I do realise these are very different cars but they would both do what I need them to do as the boot size is similar. There is obviously a premium for the BMW but, is it worth it?

Asked on 21 July 2016 by instantlight

I'm just wondering why not a Mazda CX-5 rather than the Mazda 6, fine car that it is. Same engines, and they do handle very well indeed for an SUV. Mazda 6 car by car: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-2013/; tourer: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/6-tourer-2012/ CX-5: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mazda/cx-5-2012/ F25 X3s excellent. Surprisingly economical. And I haven't had any reports of N47 timing chain failures which seem to be restricted to 2008-2010 N47s. Car by car entry: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/x3-f25-2010/