Can you recommend a large estate car or MPV which offers good rear seat leg room?

Unfortunately I will need to change my current car, a 2009 Toyota Avensis estate, due to lack of rear seat leg room for our two 6-foot teenagers. I am interested in a larger estate car such as an Audi A6 Avant or BMW 5 Series Touring, but could consider a MPV such as a Mazda CX-5. I have a budget of approx. £25,000 and am looking for a car 1-2 years old.

A CX-5 is not an MPV, it is an SUV (and a very good one). But a Mazda 5 MPV would make a lot of sense. It comes with a 115PS 1.6 diesel or 150PS 2.0 diesel, has bags of space in the back and the TS2 version in 205/55 R16 Toyo J48 tyres has a brilliant combination of grip, handling and ride quality. If you insist on an estate car then the best legroom is in the back of a Skoda Superb estate.