How can an MoT for an uninsured car?

I wish to take my wife's car for an MoT test but the car is currently off the road by way of SORN. My wife is the legal owner and registered keeper of the car but there is currently no motor insurance cover on her car which is kept in a locked garage.

The motor insurance policy on my own car covers me for driving any other car on a third party liability providing the other car is not owned by me. The wording of my policy does not state anywhere that the other car has to also have insurance cover on it. Does this mean I can drive my wife's car?

Asked on 9 February 2015 by fstormin

Answered by Honest John
The car has to be insured so the only way you can legally get it to and from the MoT station is to employ someone from it to pick the car up on trade plates and trade insurance.
Similar questions
What would be the legal status of a vehicle that is kept off the public highway, has no road fund licence (car tax), MoT, SORN or insurance? Also, when the DVLA make their regular updates, are they likely...
I bought a new car five months ago. After collecting the vehicle, I transferred my insurance and took the old car off the road. I received a reminder Road Tax notification from the DVLA, so I SORN'd the...
What's the lie of the land now with regards to selling a car that's on SORN I've got someone who interested who wants to drive it more than a once around the private car park its stored in? Who would need...

Ask Honest John

Value my car