Will we need to apply for an international driving licence if living in France for six months per year?

We are planning to buy a property in France with a view to spending perhaps half the year there and the rest in the UK. I envisage that we shall be travelling between the two countries two or three times per year. I am unsure of our position with regards to insurance and also whether or not we shall need to apply for an international driving licence.

Asked on 27 October 2010 by TF, via email

Answered by Honest John
SAGA (now Acromas) will insure a UK-registered car for continental use right through the year. If you have a photocard licence you already have an EC licence. If not, though the old UK paper licences are still valid, it would make sense to get a photocard. Minimum hassle now, as they can use your biometric photo from the Passport Agency.
Similar questions
I am a UK citizen and recently returned resident. My foreign driving licence expires soon. I applied to the DVLA for a new licence six weeks ago but have heard nothing. Am I allowed to drive while awaiting...
My wife is a Thai national and is awaiting her visa to join me here. She has held a licence in Thailand for thirteen years and drove to work in Bangkok regularly. Can you advise what will be necessary...
In 1996, when the Driving Theory Test was first introduced, I was employed as chief invigilator at a central London Test centre which processed about 200 candidates per day and we had about 4 invigilators...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer