We had the catalytic converter stolen from our car - and have lost our no claims as a result?

I recently found a note in the windscreen of my Toyota Prius, parked in a shop car park, saying the car had been jacked up and something removed from under the car (an employee of the shop just happened to notice it). We found out it was the catalytic converter. The repair bill was £2000 and the car was written off. The same hour another Prius was stripped of it about a mile away. Now my 20 years with no claims is ruined?

Asked on 6 December 2018 by Sigrid Poole

You should not have lost all of your no claims, only a proportion. It is common for them to be stolen, especially if you live in London. UK scrap merchants will not accept them, so it seems they are being shipped abroad. It appears to be because of their high platinum content.