Buying advice larger car - shoebpatel31

Hi guys im considering buying a car, ive kind of decided it needs to have plenty of space. miles a year maybe anything 10-12k a year. mileage max 90k, would probably have to be a saloon or hatchback.

option im thinking of was ford mondeo 07 onwards, has anyone got any advice(budget max 5k)

Thanks

Buying advice larger car - RaineMan

My first bit of advice would be with your projected annual mileage is to avoid diesel. Also avoid anything with a missing or questionable service history as the cost of something like a cambelt failure will have you crying in your beer. From friends and local taxi drivers experience I would say definately avoid the Vauxhall Insignia. For reliability Japanese or Skoda Octavia/Superb are the best. If it was me though this would tick the boxes:- www.mkgcars.com/used-car-jaguar-x-type-v6-se-1429

Buying advice larger car - Oli rag

My first bit of advice would be with your projected annual mileage is to avoid diesel. Also avoid anything with a missing or questionable service history as the cost of something like a cambelt failure will have you crying in your beer. From friends and local taxi drivers experience I would say definately avoid the Vauxhall Insignia. For reliability Japanese or Skoda Octavia/Superb are the best. If it was me though this would tick the boxes:- www.mkgcars.com/used-car-jaguar-x-type-v6-se-1429

I've known two people who have owned Jag x types, one was a v6 petrol and the other a diesel. Both their cars needed multiple expensive repairs in the time they owned them. I would seriously avoid one.

Buying advice larger car - RT

Skoda Superb - or the Estate version of the Vectra-C (the saloon/hatch are shorter wheelbase than the estate on that one).

At that age and annual mileage, avoid diesel.

Buying advice larger car - shoebpatel31

Any japanese options will be appreciated

AFAIK Japanese cars don't go up as far as large, apart from the Lexus LS anyway.

But thinking further, the Mondeo of that era uses the Mazda 6/626 plaform so that may be an option for you.

Edited by RT on 26/11/2016 at 16:01

Buying advice larger car - sandy56

Avoid German cars, especially VAG and diesel. I suggets you look again at Peugeot cars- 3008, 5008, or more conventional a 508. My experience has been very positive.

Buying advice larger car - Cluedo
Subaru Legacy/Outback.
Subaru Legacy/Outback.

They aren't that big - not that generation anyway.

Buying advice larger car - Cluedo
It certainly meets the criteria of 07 Mondeo size which was the exam question, also its Japanese as the poster wanted and if serviced correctly will rack up huge mileage with no bother. Also the age would negate diesel so a lot less troublesom.
Buying advice larger car - SLO76
Between £5-£5.5k will get you a tidy Mk III Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol with 65-80,000 miles that would offer 40mpg day to day, loads of space and vastly superior reliability to a diesel Ford Mondeo.

The Mondeo is fine with a 2.0 petrol but thirsty at 30-32mpg and slow with the 1.6 petrol. Don't touch a diesel at this price range, there's just too much to go wrong and you'd be buying at the age and mileage where it is likely to become a total money pit.

The Avensis is the most sensible bet here, it's well made and simple with no DPF, DMF or timing belt to worry about. It might not be exciting to drive but it'll last and be cost effective and reliable.
Buying advice larger car - Bladerrw

There are some good VW Passat 2L TDIs around for £5k or so.

Buying advice larger car - RobJP

You've created quite a few threads over the last 2 years or so about car buying.

Here are a few : wanting to buy a diesel coupe, up to £23/24 k.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=105139

Wanting to buy a Ford / Mazda (diesel, 1.6 or smaller), under £4k.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108464

Wanting to buy any smaller-engined diesel hatchback, under £4k

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108508

Here's another :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108613

and another :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=115386

and another :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=116554

All of which have had lots of replies.

Can I suggest you stop messing around, and just get on with it ?

Buying advice larger car - daveyK_UK

Try a skoda rapid / seat toledo 1.2 Tsi petrol

avoid the 1.6 diesel, its a dog of a nengine and best avoided in all VW / audi / seat / skoda products

Buying advice larger car - skidpan

Try a skoda rapid / seat toledo 1.2 Tsi petrol

When we collected our Leon in 2013 there a was a Toledo sat next to the salesman desk. My first thoughts were "why have I just paid more for a Leon". The Toledo's boot was absoluetely massive, probably Mondeo size in a sensibly sized package. But when I looked further I could see problems. Forgetting the cheap materials (its a cheap car) the passenger space in the rear was challenged to say the least. Not much legroom and very little shoulder room, you could not fit 3 adults, probably not even 3 teenagers. Then I found out why, it was based on the old Polo/Ibiza so its basically a small hatch with a huge boot welded to the back.

It may suit some buyers, local taxi companies use them but they probably are not too bothered about the comfort of rear seat passengers providing they can fit a huge amount of shopping in at the Asda taxi rank. But if you carry people you like in the back check carefully.

Buying advice larger car - bazza

I was looking at Civics/Auris yesterdayat a local car supermarket. I sat in a newish Rapid and it was very underwhelming, even compared to my 8 year old Octavia. Very much a budget option, I wouldn't bother.

PS: Listen to SLO, he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by bazza on 27/11/2016 at 09:34

Buying advice larger car - eustace

Yes, the Avensis would seem to be ther best car in this category.

But one thing to remember about the Avenis is that it has an Electronic Parking Brakes, which are prone to give trouble at a certain age.

And they are not cheap to repair. You are looking at a bill of over £1K.

The EPB is a totally useless contraption, which brings no benefits, but a money spinner on maintennace for the manufacturer.

Buying advice larger car - SLO76

Yes, the Avensis would seem to be ther best car in this category.

But one thing to remember about the Avenis is that it has an Electronic Parking Brakes, which are prone to give trouble at a certain age.

And they are not cheap to repair. You are looking at a bill of over £1K.

The EPB is a totally useless contraption, which brings no benefits, but a money spinner on maintennace for the manufacturer.

Very good point. The electronic parking brake is a pointless, expensive and over complex solution to a problem that didn't exist in the first place and is sadly becoming more commonplace on modern cars. The last thing you want is electronics and any unnecessary moving parts in the braking system where dampness, dirt and road salt all conspire against it. I hear that early cars 09-10 are more prone to this and later parts have been upgraded so ask if the actuator has been replaced already. It's not guaranteed to go wrong but it'd be nice if it already had been replaced and it's nowhere near as grief prone as the system in VW's B6 Passat.