car buying advice - shoebpatel31

Hi guys im after a car(used) maximum 23-24k, needs to be diesel and prob ideally a coupe. ive got my eyes on new facelift A5 as the main contender. but also looking at c class coupe, e class coupe or bmw 3 series cpe. whats your opiniions on these cars, would the a5 be the best option.

car buying advice - artill

You havent said how far you drive, so i will assume its a long distance each year to justify the reliability risk, and lack of refinement that diesels suffer from. The Audi doesnt ride well and has very limited room in the back for something so big outside. However its either front or 4 wheel drive so at least it will work in the winter. The others are all rear drive, so if you live anywhere it often snows be prepared not to drive for a few days each year.

All have a few reliability issues, especially in diesel form (German cars arent as good as many people assume, but neither are they awful), and you havent said what engine you are after. A 6 cylinder version of all of these will be much nicer to drive, but use a little more fuel, and have a bit more to go wrong. But if you want a diesel coupe you dont have much choice.

car buying advice - skidpan

lack of refinement that diesels suffer from.

Artill

Have you ever driven a diesel. I suspect you have not. I accept that they make more noise at idle but once on the move there is no extra noise.

Edited by Avant on 13/05/2014 at 19:43

car buying advice - Avant

Generally 6-cylinder diesels are more refined than 4-cylinder: but some of the newer fours are much better than older ones, especially from inside. Avoid a four-cylinder Mercedes diesel if you are after refinement.