Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - shoebpatel31

Hi guys im after a car under £4000, need something economical(diesel) and nothing above 1.6. I was looking at Ford Focus 1.6 2005 onwards and Mazda 1.6 TS2. whats your opinion on these 2 in terms of reliability, depreciation, faults etc.

Thanks alot

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - Avant

Unfortunately you've picked two diesels (the Ford 1.6 TDCI and most Mazda diesels) which have shown themselves liable to expensive failure as the miles mount. This of course would cancel out any advantages of fuel economy.

The petrol versions of both these cars would be well worth a look, and you could add to the list other Japanese petrol cars like the Toyota Auris and Nissan Almera. There are lots of Focuses to choose from: my cousin in Edinburgh has an 8-year-old 1.6 Focus which has never missed a beat.

I'm very reluctant to recommend any diesel in your budget range: the 1.9 TDI fitted to VW Group cars is probably the best bet if your annual mileage justifies a diesel.

Edited by Avant on 28/02/2015 at 15:45

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - balleballe

It's the same Engine. It's the Ford/PSA 1.6 diesel which has some rather expensive problems.

Mazda use Ford Diesels and Ford use Mazda petrol engines.

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - Avant

Balleballe (or anyone) - do you happen to know which Ford models use the engine shared with PSA and which the one shared with Mazda?

There have been a lot of problems with Mazda diesels but I think mainly the 2-litre engines.

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - balleballe

The 1.6 and 2.0 diesels are Ford/PSA and you'll find them in Ford's, mazdas and indeed Volvos from around 2003 - 2009.

The 2.2 diesel found in Mazdas is their own.

The D2-D5 engines found in Volvos are their own

The 1.6/1.8 and 2.0 petrols used in Ford's/ Volvo s40/ Mazda's are Mazda's MZR engines which have been used in Mazdas since around the year 2000.

When Mazda went down the route of updating their petrol engines to the direct injected 'skyactive' they sold the old MZR design to Ford.

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - Ordovices

Was the Duratorq not a chain cam engine and the mzr cd a belt.

My mazda 2.0 diesel pos had a mazda mzr cd rf engine, not a psa derivative, I believe and the 1.6 was unrelated to that engine.

Edited by Ordovices on 01/03/2015 at 14:22

Ford,Mazda - Car advice under £4000 - Auristocrat

The European version of the first generation Mazda 2 was built by Ford on the Fiesta/Fusion production line in Valencia - all the mechanicals were Ford.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 01/03/2015 at 23:49

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 01/03/2015 at 23:49