Car advice please Hatchback - shoebpatel31

Hi guys i am after car diesel, small engine 1.6 or else, initially it was between a focus and a mazda 3 but bit unsure now. my budget is max £4000 and no more than 80-85 mileage any suggestions for a hatchback good reliability/economy Thanks

Car advice please Hatchback - mss1tw

Did you see these replies, your previous thread dropped off the first page

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=108464

Car advice please Hatchback - Avant

"....no more than 80-85 mileage...."

If you mean no more than 8,000 - 8,500 miles a year, the extra cost of a diesel over a petrol won't be justified. If you mean 80,000 + miles a year, you have my sympathy, and definitely need a diesel.

Car advice please Hatchback - RobJP

"....no more than 80-85 mileage...."

If you mean no more than 8,000 - 8,500 miles a year, the extra cost of a diesel over a petrol won't be justified. If you mean 80,000 + miles a year, you have my sympathy, and definitely need a diesel.

I took it as meaning 'with no more than 80-85k on the clock'. But it isn't clear, it could be either of your interpretations too.

To the OP : what is most critical is what mileage YOU will be doing. The general wisdom these days is that for much less than 15,000 miles a year, go petrol, as doing low mileage in diesels really can work out quite expensive (EGR problems, for example).